Detroit News "Dodge Viper Magnificent Dinosaur" article

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Aplogies if this was posted, a search did not find it. A Detroit friend from Ford sent it to me!

Dodge Viper: A magnificent dinosaur

I did send them two corrections: "This is the ninth year that Dodge has offered the Viper as a production model." is one obvious error.....

And the Skip-Shift mention was incorrect as well

Last edited:

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:Frankly, there's nothing like it made in America......... Iam not worried (YET) about the future of the Viper but question when the insurance compines or the GOVernment will call a halt to the HP wars...Iam guessing the price of oil will beat both of them to it.....:(
Long Live Our Dinosaur!!!!!!!:headbang:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like how the add about the Viper owner " Cant help but wonder if their other car is a Mini Cooper" What does that have to do with anything. And no I dont own one.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This is the ninth year that Dodge has offered the Viper as a production model."

Umm, okay...No pre-'99 models I guess.

"The ideal surface would be a well-maintained oval track, where you could really work the gears on the straightaways."

Yeah, oval track. That's where I track my Vipers. And I can use both gears!

"If the Corvette is a true American sports car, the Viper qualifies as an exotic, sitting somewhere between the 'Vette and a Lamborghini."

At least they got that right.

That article was written by a retard.
No offense to the mentally impaired.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The writer appears to be a pencil pushing, comma carrying, guilt ridden desk jockey who may not have even driven the car or who did not properly do his research. In the alternative, the person who edited the article is neocortically impaired. For instance, the article states:

"and to 100 mph in about 12 seconds." As we all know, the car does zero to 100 to zero in 12 seconds. In 12 seconds, it would be well north of 130 MPH. His comments about gas usage are inane. The average MPG of full sized V8 pickup trucks and V8 soccer mom SUV's are both worse than the 2008 Viper stats. Let's see - a bit more than 1000 Vipers a year versus hundreds of thousands of trucks and SUVs. A flawed analysis like this is annoying.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"... the Viper symbolizes the very best and the very worst aspects of America's relationship to the road: Arrogance for thinking we can guzzle gas by the gallon while the rest of the world measures it in teacups; childish clinging to a bygone era that was truly great while it lasted."

The rest of the world? I guess the cars listed below are all made in America.

The writer, an American-hater (who probably drives a Prius), obviously doesn't know anything about ultra-high-performance cars -- they ALL have poor fuel economy -- high power requires fuel.

EPA MPG
Aston Martin Vantage ... 13/19
Ferrari 430 ... 13/17
Lambo Gallardo ... 10/18
Maserati GranT ... 11/16
Mercedes SLR ... 12/17
Nissan GT-R ... 15/21
Porsche GT-3 ... 15/22
Corvette Z06 ... 15/22
2008 Viper ... 12/21

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Moronic writer who probably still uses a typewriter! Yes, Viper owners are in a different class......not necessarily all "high income", but definitely a higher IQ.....far higher than the writer of this "article"!

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm tired of folks claiming the Viper is a gas guzzler.
My 03'1500 Ram 4x4 with the HEMI get only 11.5 miles per gallon. I would work from my viper if i could. I think the viper gets great mileage per gallon.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll just get it over with...

Chuck's other car is a.....Viper.

For that matter, so is Adrian's! I hate my friends!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"... the Viper symbolizes the very best and the very worst aspects of America's relationship to the road: Arrogance for thinking we can guzzle gas by the gallon while the rest of the world measures it in teacups; childish clinging to a bygone era that was truly great while it lasted."

The rest of the world? I guess the cars listed below are all made in America.

The writer, an American-hater (who probably drives a Prius), obviously doesn't know anything about ultra-high-performance cars -- they ALL have poor fuel economy -- high power requires fuel.

EPA MPG
Aston Martin Vantage ... 13/19
Ferrari 430 ... 13/17
Lambo Gallardo ... 10/18
Maserati GranT ... 11/16
Mercedes SLR ... 12/17
Nissan GT-R ... 15/21
Porsche GT-3 ... 15/22
Corvette Z06 ... 15/22
2008 Viper ... 12/21

If their talking gas guzzlers, how about trucks and vans? My old chevy van never got over 13 mpg. No one was flipping me off in that.:dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235