Tire replacement question

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently got a bolt dead center in my RR tire (GTS). Patched it up with a plug and its been holding since. Obviously I will need to replace it soon but I have a few questions:

1) Is it ok to replace just the one bad tire or should you always replace the set? (LR tire is in good shape)

2) Can I go with a different brand of tires in the rear if given a better price option while keeping my Michelin tires in the front?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'd be OK replacing just one IF the set is relatively new. If they've worn a bunch, then a new version of the tire would be different enough to feel strange and be potentially dangerous.

I'm not sure what the prevailing wisdom is about mixing brands/models but I wouldn't do it. Even with a new set of PS2s, Vipers seem to never miss an opportunity to follow a seam in the road....so with different rubber at the corners it'd be even worse and definitely dangerous.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I go with a different brand of tires in the rear if given a better price option while keeping my Michelin tires in the front?!

I don't think that it is a good idea to mix tire types or tread patterns. The car will handle strangely in the worst conditions (rain, heavy braking, hard cornering) where it is most important to get it right.

Is it noticeable to the average driver? I don't know. I'm sure that it depends on the different characteristics of the specific tires, and you won't know until after you have made the purchase.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that it is a good idea to mix tire types or tread patterns. The car will handle strangely in the worst conditions (rain, heavy braking, hard cornering) where it is most important to get it right.

Is it noticeable to the average driver? I don't know. I'm sure that it depends on the different characteristics of the specific tires, and you won't know until after you have made the purchase.

I agree with AZTVR, I would keep the ALL tires the same make and style. when i got my viper the front tires were different style. after changing the fronts to match the rear..I could feel a big difference.

My wife's Pathfinder had a bad leak in her rear tire and so i asked the tire shop to switch the patched tire with the matching "New" spare tire and they said they would not recommend it because the patched tire was at 60percent and could affect the handling of the vehicle.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can repair a tire with no problems using a plug patch from the inside. That keeps water from entering the cords and rotting them. These type patches go up to about a 1/4" hole. The tire should be good as new. I never use just the plug from the outside unless just emergency then use the plug patch when I get to a repair shop.

Last edited:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vic, Tires can be repaired with no problem if the hole is in the tread not the sidewall. Use a patch-plug from inside the tire though. They make them for up to 1/4" holes. Tire should be good as new. I only use the plugs for emergency then change it next time I have my car in the shop. Also, It's Okay to buy one tire if it is an exact match. One thing to note is if the circumfrance is different on the rear, especially posi-trac, then the spider gears in the rear end will be turning all the time instead of just on turns, Not good wears out the rear end.:2tu: Good Luck

OHH MAN, though I erased the one above so retyped it. LOL HOW do you delete one??