RB1 Navigation Radio Question

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a RB1 off bay. I hope it fits/works on my 06 vert.

For those of you who made the switch, how hard was it? It there are tutorial? I plan on doing the swap myself if possible, but I don't want to screw up anything. You thought and tips are appreciated.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is simple. Plug and play. you will need to remove the upper and lower center console covers. Not really difficult. The most difficult part is removing the plugs for the AC and Start button. Also the bottom simply is in with clips. Just pull over firmly but not too hard.

You will love the RB1.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a screw at "6 o'clock on the front dash piece. That has to come out so you will have to pull the front of the lower console up so you can get to it. after that the 4 screws in the radio and the pull. My radio was in very tight to the point I had to pry the radio out alittle (it has hitting the top right corner). Good luck

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys. My radio just got delivered. Anyhow, I am also doing the ipod kids as well. I did get the new harness others have mentioned. I hope all goes well. I will report back.

Question. Nader. you said the bottom is just in with clips and to pull OVER. could I interpret that as pull UP or does it really need to go to the side?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight up. Start at one corner and pull slowly. Pretty simple install. Even I could do it. The Ipod kit will take some work to hang the box in the glovebox and wire to the center section console where I put it.

You can call me if you have any problems. 917-520-7337.

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
got it all done without a hitch. Love it. Thanks for the tips. Much better than the stock radio. on to my next mod....

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree w/ Nader, you will love the RB1. It really enhances the driving experience, especially since most our race tracks are in the middle of no-where, now u can find them! My stock radio was iffy, and cut out frequently. W/ the RB1 the music is clearer, plays louder and of course the nav is first class.
One of the best mods I have ever made..u will enjoy!

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Tape the bottom part of the front panel to prevent scratches
2. Remove the 6 screws on the front plastic panel, but don't try to remove the panel just yet. There is a 7th screw hidden by the bottom panel that you'll need to remove as well.
3. Remove the screws around the shifter and the metal piece surrounding the shifter too.
4. Remove the shift knob by first loosening the nut at the bottom of the shifter. When you look at it, it will look like it's just one nut, but there's actually two parts to it. You'll need two wrenches to do this. A 3/4 wrench on the nut and a 5/8 wrench on the shift knob wrench flats. Arrange it so you can "squeeze" the two wrenches in your hand to pop the nut loose. once the nut is loose, it just unscrews.
5. Lift up the panel around the shifter. This was tough for me to figure out, but it lifts up easy if you grab it through the shifter boot, and start with the driver side, back corner. it "pops" up.
6. Disconnect the window switch and Power outlet and lift the panel up. It will lift off over the emergency brake. (the sleeve at the bottom of the emergency brake will slide over the handle)
7. Now, remove the 7th screw holding in the front plastic panel and take that panel off. I also removed the screws to the left and right of the 7th screw. From the back of this panel, you'll have to disconnect the start button and a/c controls.
8. Now you'll have access to the radio...The radio just has 4 screws holding it in, so it's easy to remove. The screw in the upper right corner of the radio is the most difficult to get out because the passenger side of the dash is blocking it slightly. I had to pop-out the passenger side of the dash slightly to get access to it. It pops out just like the bottom panel does since it's held in with clips. You only need to pop it out enough so that you have room to wiggle the radio out.
9. Once you get to this point, you'll just remove the wiring harness from the back of the radio. The harness plugs into the exact same spots on the back of the RB-1.
10. Mounting the Navigation antenna was the tricky part. I originally mounted it on the back of the RB-1, but didn't get very good reception, so I actually had to go through this process twice. The 2nd time, I decided to mount it above the radio in the little space above the radio and under the two vents. Now, I get perfect reception.

The instructions for the radio say that you should disconnect the battery before installing. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did my install.

Do all of this at your own risk, but I've never worked on my own cars or installed a car stereo and I was able to do it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper