08 vipers are enroute!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, the black out is NOT done at Prefix. Its done at dodge. Any cars going to prefix dodge does not paint the rear diffuser. How do i know? Because I look at my 06 with factory stripes and can tell its not PAINTED black, it IS black... black plastic... its NOT painted. So that means it was left unpainted at dodge, then went to prefix.

Jon

Jon, I think you're wrong. I'm basing this on my recollection of past conversations with Ron Batt. Although I have visited Prefix before, I have never seen the black out operation. I'll ask next month when the Illinois group does the auto show. I've never been to the tech. center, so we're going to tag along with you guys. Maybe we'll meet.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this isnt a confrontation thing, and I appeciate your view on this... I think you will see I am right. But we'll let Prefix tell us, or Jon B, or Woodhouse or the Wizard.

Mine certainly isnt painted, its definitely plastic/eurithan or whatever, so the black i see is the plastic I am guessing, not paint. So unless prefix is doing some type of paint removal, it just makes sense dodge would tape that part out when they are painting them.

I think we'll see I am right. But lets wait for an expert to weigh in.

thanks,

Jon

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe someone (Woodhouse or Jon B?) posted in another thread that what Prefix does is buff off the paint from the diffuser area for striped cars and than does some sort of of surface prep like roughing the surface before painting to make it look like the diffuser has a different texture (like the plastic look and feel Jon mentioned).

/Rich

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Prefix paints the diffuser black. There were pics long ago of the VOI white cars sitting in line waiting for stripes and their diffusers were white (meaning they came painted that way from Dodge). I agree that it looks unpainted, but that is the intended result and Prefix is good at what they do.