Difference between '00 & '02 GTS

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Besides from ABS beginning in 2001, are there any differences in these 2 years, regarding non-ACR GTS cars? Thanks.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like Steel Gray and Black only available '00 and Graphite Metallic only available '02.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were model year 2000 vehicles not subject to the steering rack and pinion recall that required the gussets to be welded to the frame? I could be mistaken. Not a real difference I suppose, but I would certainly inspect for proper work to have been completed with some degree of competence if shopping for a 2000.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
2000 year Vipers are certainly not awkward. They lack ABS which is not essential particularly if you don't track your car a lot, and they have better pistons for a NA car. If you want a turbocharged track car, then maybe you are right:dunno: .Otherwise, you are probably wrong:nono: .
PAvenom RT/10

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor.Obviously you are looking for the best looking car(Gen II).So get one that stops and has all the bugs worked out.01 or 02. GTS Bruce

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well. Umm. I guess at the next National Convention of Year "Oh Oh" Viper Owners Invitational that I'll issue a public apology.

Glad to see my spectacular post count was not awkwardly tampered with Lee. I've had many compliments on that accomplishment. How do you do it Dave...how do you do it...? Just trying to catch Chad and Juli. What targets... What targets...

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I have owned a 2000, and a 2001 GTS(still have)... I owned a Black/Silver striped 2000, just like Lee's... Nothing AWKWARD about the car. In fact, I wish I would have kept it.. It (my old car) recently re-surfaced at BJ motors a few months ago. That color combo is one of the best ever made.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I like SRT 10 brakes (with adjustable balance control) on a non-ABS car for the track. I am smooth and deliberate braker, not a 'stand on it' braker, and I also prefer the smoother power delivery of the non-forged motor, so for me, the 2000 was the only choice. With the SRT 10 brakes, I have no trouble going into the corners just as hard or harder than the guys with SRT 10's (abs cars). Now, I should mention that a good car for the track is not necessarily the best option for the street. Most track cars sit in the garage when its raining. If you live in a rainy climate, or aren't that good at modulating the brakes manually, and its a street car, I would definately opt for ABS. Of course, you will pay a bit more for the newer models. Is it worth it? Your call. Then again, if driver's aids are what you are looking for, then...(better not go there). ;)

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure he was referring to the smoother idle on the 2000 and up cars, which is cam related.

DrDJ

To elaborate on what DrDJ said, a smaller cam (in theory) will tend to not only have a smoother idle, but a much more linear power delivery from bottom to mid range. The 2000 + cars also have high bleed down lifters which further smooth out power delivery. The cast pistons themselves should produce a slight increase in performance as well, due to tighter piston to wall clearance (better ring seal). Cast piston motors also employ longer rods as well as lighter and shorter pistons. These are all beneficial features for someone interested in a stock or naturally aspirated configuration. The earlier forged models are much better suited to the rigors of supercharging or nitrous oxide. Truthfully probably really hard to tell the difference in power delivery on bone stock versions of each. It's nice to have choices!:drive: