Wife won't let me get a Viper

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Back from the dead and ignored!

I just bought another Supercharged GTS (ACR). Wife enjoyed the holiday to Az and southern Calif. Got to visit her terminally ill Aunt. My wife may not love the Vipers, but she does appreciate the holidays and other opportunities they present to her.

I bought a used Stealth TT that has mods to it. luckily it was under $10 and is quick enough that it keeps up to a stock Gen 1 Viper. It also doubles as an SUV and my winter car with All Wheel Drive and All Wheel Steering. Back seat lowers insurance cost.

Ted

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think something alont the lines of mounting bracket and baby seat will work...

Attachments

• fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 33

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go get one and bring it home. What's the worst case! Ok may be a few weeks till she talks to you again. Nice time to take the car out and ride around. Take your son with you. Life is too short to worry about the small stuff.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only need 1 family car and once the child is 2 - two sports cars work - think of it as a built in playmate on the road. She drives hers and you drive yours - kid decides which car to ride in. :drive:

Also be sure to get a great babysitter so the two of you can go to local viper events - and get her a viper.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, after year's of dreaming, my dream will become a reality in the next year, I can finally afford to buy a Viper. But now my wife is adament about buying a car that has more than 2 seats. You see the thing we just had a son and that's what she's holding me to, that we won't be able to drive around for family cruises. She has absolutely no problem with me spending the money, or that I want a sports car, it just has to have back seats for the baby. But how many REAL sports cars are there out there that have back seats, or back seats with child seat anchors???

What can I do to convince her otherwise?

This cannot end well. Either you go without a Viper and end up resenting her, or you get one and she resents you, or you split up and no one gets anything as you lose 1/2 of all you have now and alimony, child support, lawyers fees.

Sounds like a no win situation, though self inflicted.

Seriously, though. Don't sell her on the car itself, sell her on the benefits of Viper ownership. If that ends up meaning that you buy her a Caravan, so be it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he got the Viper and marital difficulties ensued, it would not be the first time a snake caused trouble for a couple. As I recall, Adam and Eve allegedly had a small issue with one.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra;

It is simple! The Viper is for YOU, not the wife or the family. My wife really wanted me to realize my dreams in life and to have absolutely no regrets. She was the one really encouraging me to get it after I sold my business because she was sick of hearing about me talk about it for years and years. She also thought it might be the end of all this car collecting and buying nonsense if she let me have something special like that. Ha! Ha!

Truth be told, she doesn't even really want to drive in it with me because it is loud, rides harsh and all the other possible reasons for such a statment. She LOVES the club and the people though which helped with the whole thing and was an added bonus to all this. Cost me a Cayenne Turbo for her daily driver though, so she bases experiences on the powerful, fluffy, quiet ride that has. That is okay with me at times, but there are weekends where it is nice to drive around together since I travel a lot with work. My 95' Saleen S351R Speedster handles that very well, is a convertible and has four seats. when we finally do have kids, it will make a great hauler!

The only real answer is to get two cars, like I described. Anything else and you just will not be happy.

Last edited:

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a deal, I bought the viper with the understanding that she can buy the next car/suv of her choice. Unfortunately it's alot more money than the viper, but I got what I wanted.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, I'd say he might be a "Cobra Commander" bu his wife is the real commander

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have been married for 38 yrs, we raised 4 kids, I have owned 24 Corvettes, 6 Vipers, dozens of 55 & 57 Chevys and old street rods and always also had a family car and have drag raced, car showed and lots of things car related and my wife NEVER complained about my car craziness and we always managed to take the kids and her and participate as a family and we figured it out and managed so I have never understood that excuse about not being able to have a 2 seated sports car in the family and I am getting married so I have to sell the sports car and get a family car story. If you want a VIPER....buy one. If she loves you she will get over it and figure out how you can deal with this little problem. :dunno: :rolleyes: :eater:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is old and I'm guessing that he lost out. There is a lot of current, good advice for the people that don't know what to do however.

Arital advice is timeless.

Basically what works best and is simplest is to suckhole (at least for a sortwhile) or have a wife that works WITH YOU for a better life. I know, there's only 5 of those and they're all taken.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had to get rid of the wife, have the ZO6 in the garage.Got laid off, so what the hell went and bought a 2003 SRT. The vette needed company, and money can always be made. Im definately not a rich guy, a simple electrician who has this hang up for cars. I can think of many worse habits to have.
I cant imagine how much money ive blown on cars and trucks. But a women has never had any inclination on me buying. I just do it, maybe thats why im divorced :)

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
15 years ago I was talking to a guy at a car show and complemented him on his choice of cars. ...mostly stock Willys coupe (a nice blue one)with tasteful mods (V8 etc) ...........and he said to me ..... ...

.." well......my dog died and I got a divorce and had some tough times with my job and my health.................but I still got my Willys coupe:drive::2tu:

Had to get rid of the wife, have the ZO6 in the garage.Got laid off, so what the hell went and bought a 2003 SRT. The vette needed company, and money can always be made. Im definately not a rich guy, a simple electrician who has this hang up for cars. I can think of many worse habits to have.
I cant imagine how much money ive blown on cars and trucks. But a women has never had any inclination on me buying. I just do it, maybe thats why im divorced :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would simply tell her;

"You have a choice. I can get a new Viper, or a new Girlfriend. Choose wisely, because one of those options negates a large portion of you being here"

I am going to hell.

For sure.:lmao:

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I retained a 'spousal justification' attorney. he has done wonders for my car collection. I bought my 03 new with a 5 and a 1 year old.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all good! My boyzz Roman & Toddy Jr in 2006' under the tent in Archer Racing's Snake Pit at Fernley, NV.

The first Viper Days event right after the VOI 9.

My wife present & enjoying the event. Viper's have become part of our life style.

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Attachments

• Viper Days Fernely 025.jpg
    Viper Days Fernely 025.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Viper Days Fernely 024.jpg
    Viper Days Fernely 024.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10
  • Viper Days Fernely 084.jpg
    Viper Days Fernely 084.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
I guess this is one problem I'll never have, at least the way things look now, as women seem to hate my guts...by that I mean once they see i'm a nice guy they try to take advantage. :dunno: My only issue right now is to finish college and get a job where I can make enough money to purchase said snake. Until then however I'm happy with my 05 Mustang. :)

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember taking my wife to the Dodge dealer here in Napa Calif to show her this 04 Viper. She looked at it ans then looked at me and asked me what are you waiting for. Needless to say my wife of 45 years was into cars with her first fastback Mustang. She loves the car but, she has rules. Take your shoes off at the front door. Thats about it.