Vipers In Snow, Post your snow pictures!

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my 500hp Stealth R/T TT. With the All Wheel Drive and All Wheel Steering I think it has more traction than any 4x4 pu or suv,

You must be registered for see images

Ted
Do you have locking diffs, what kind of control do you have of the power?
Based purely on the awd system, the Subaru STi 6 speed with DCCD is the most capable awd systms (doesn't use clutches, full 50/50 lock).
or. . . the ability to put 100% of the power to one wheel and very well balanced (mid-engine). Outran rally cars on a frozen lake a year ago with half the power/weight ratio.

Nick

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that have driven on highways in below freezing temps. How does the car handle?
I may take the car from Grand Rapids, MI to Chicago next month if the roads are clear. It's my most comfortable car.

Nick

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Stealth has a posi in the rear diff and a silicone coupler in the transmission for front to rear power coupling.

Never seen any traction problems once the ice radials are on the car. Braking doesn't compare to acceleration at all and thecar steers around corners exceptionally well with computer controlled All Wheel Steering.

I can often use full throttle in second gear on compact snow and ice - totally mind boggling and I wish I could find some of those Porsche 911s to have fun with ... :(

Guess the amazement is why I bought 3 Stealth R/T TT's??? When the Gen 1 Vipers came out the Stealth TT was usually one of the early 90s supercars that were tested with the Porsches, vettes and Vipers. The Stealth came in last in high speed stuff, but always beat the vette in handling braking and 0-60 times :)

Stealth TTs were designed to run 13G Turbos but they were repalced with 9b Turbos for North America because the Stealth TT (V6) was just brought her to beat the vettes, not to compete with the new 400bhp Viper.

I have 9B, 13G and a matched set of 16G Turbos for these cars. Changing out the restrictive triple Cats and stock front exhuast pipe for SS 3" downpipe and no cats increases boost and bumps the power and mileage. Adding a boost controller adds about 50hp (from 7-14psi) and gets you into the supercar territory.

I also found a couple sets of SS headers that I bought hoping to keep the turbo lag the same when going to larger Turbos. On my Hunter Green Stealth I cut out the rear of the top intake manifold thereby increasing the plenum area while shortening the runners. Didn't notice any loss of torque but did notice 'seat of the pants' increase in complete power band.

Being a supercar the Stealth TT is a heavy car so a 430bhp lighweight Subaru may keep up at lower speeds, but at high speeds the Stealth TT is King of small engine cars and is very streamlined.

Ted

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those that have driven on highways in below freezing temps. How does the car handle?
I may take the car from Grand Rapids, MI to Chicago next month if the roads are clear. It's my most comfortable car.

Nick

If you're referring to driving a Viper ... aren't winter rated tires mandatory? I suppose that you coud buy some Dakota rims and install winter/ice tires, but otherwise an accident is the operators fault and don't expect insurance to pay.

If the car is equipped with runcraps then you won't have much traction in summer and absolutely none in winter. My Viper wouldn't move on flat ground with snow. PS2s are good tires in rain, but I havn't tried them in snow yet.

I don't recommend driving any Viper on cold or winter tires and roads.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just referring to taking the Viper out in 30 degree temps for a highway trips (~200 miles each way & ~400 miles each way). The Hummer ***** for highway trips.

is there a stealth thread for us to continue talking about 'other' cars and not threadjack this one?

Nick

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For a Stealth thread just start one in the 'Driven' section (send me a PM with the link if you want me to take part).

Michelin Sports ZP (Zero Pressure) are the worst tires I've driven on and caused me to crash in the rain. Summer tires are not formulated for freezing temps and that is why there are laws requiring people HAVE to instal winter tires or accept personal responsibility for any crash that happens in the cold. Winter tires rubber is formulated to stay softer at colder temps than summer tires.

Ted

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Stealth came in last in high speed stuff, but always beat the vette in handling braking and 0-60 times :)

Those are magazine comparisons and are the most unreliable way to judge how fast a car is except for it's top speed. The same magazines also said the 1996 GTS can only run mid 12's. :lmao:

I have personally witnessed the Stealth lose many times against the LT1 Vettes.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LT1? you mean 1970? They had 6" of tread on their tires back then? Stealth TTs came with 17 x 245 x 45s.

1991 vettes had a 55bhp defeciet at 245bhp while the very few ZR1s were 275bhp/LT5? 1991 Corvette For Sale

Hard to find specs when there are so many and it seems that the internet publishes dozens of "facts". The C5 vette that beat my modified Stealth TT couldn't get by me until we'd gotten past 110mph. I suspect his 6L engine was turbo'd as well as my 3L.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the gearing and aerodynamics of C5 & awd drag of your car is probably what killed you.

Nick

I have to agree. I was driving away from him until 90mph and then my car didn't seem to pickup very well once I was in 4th (1-1) and after that he came on strong.

I don't think that his areodynamics were any better than the Stealth (very much anyway). My Stealth had the newer 6 speed with higher gears then the 5 speeds. Similar to the Viper with the trans overgearing. That was shen I decided to buy a modified Viper. The Stealth was awesome with the TT, comfortable, towed OK, fast and got 30 mpg. I could have used my 440 Duster to beat the vette, but any supercharged Viper will eat vettes all day long.

Ted

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Measured about 3 hours ago and we were at 7 inches. Sleet/Snow mix now, mostly sleet. Posted that second pic on myspace and got someone asking why my windows were open lol.

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my way home after picking it up in Phoenix :drive:

1700 miles one way trip

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 28

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic I took in Detroit at SRT Headquarters a few years ago.

[media]http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab8/Stevenanders/DSCF0075.jpg[/media]

If you look on the other side of the fence there were over a dozen other Gen 3's languishing in the snow. Some of them looked pretty rough.

S2K1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put some snow tires on my Viper that were off of another car and got some wheels off a Dodge Dakota that worked great. This car handles great in the snow!
You must be registered for see images attach

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That made my day, S2K1! I noticed the Go Pro Hero mounted to it. Will you upload that video to YouTube? Where can I find it? Those pictures are amazing!