Herb "Grailkeeper" Helbig announces Retirement....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A bittersweet day indeed.

back in 1993, I took a card out of my RT10 Glovebox, and it said "Built With Pride in the Motor City By Team Viper" and it gave a phone number. I called that number on Day 2 of ownership, and HERB HELBIG answered. And my life changed. I met Herb at VOI 1 and every VOI thereafter......as many of you did as well. You 'experience' his magic every time you start your Viper, or notice there is no cupholder, and no traction control.....and so much more. He WILL be missed.......

For me, Herb has represented the heart, soul, and conscience of the Viper since 1989.

Best Wishes and Godspeed Herb...... you raced every F-16 to date, and I hope you come back for Viper vs Viper 5..... it would NOT be the same without you.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited by a moderator:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very sad news for the Viper community, who is going to be the keeper of the grail, I had the opportunity to meet Herb on two ocassions, and his passion for the car and the Viper community was evident. Herb was also instumental in seeing that repairs were made to my car that no one would ever expect from a car manufacturer. I wish him the very best in his retirement and can only hope that the next keeper of the grail is even half as passionate about the Viper as he is. God bless you Herb, because without you the Viper would probably not be the car it is today:2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like bad news to me... Thanks for your efforts, Herb.

I hope this isn't the start of cupholders in future Vipers.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herb.
You will be missed.

Every time we get in our Vipers Herb is there. ( In my case, he signed my plenum at CAAP.) My guess is that a gearhead like Herb will not stay away from cars for long. Retirement from Chrysler does not mean retirement from cars. Let's see - where would a smart person like Herb go after Chrysler and relaxing for awhile? Let the guesses begin. Thank you Herb for your automotive dedication and brilliance. You drove it like a jet .... and you beat the jet!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the opportunity to talk with Herb a number of times, have dinner with him at Luke AFB, and ride with him on the main runway at the AFB in the 08 test mule. I also gave him a ride in my previous Viper (94, S'c/d, NOS, H2O ****, etc. etc.)! At VOI 7,8 and 9 he remembered not only who I was, but my name and what car I drove. He was a professional at what he did, but at the same time, "one of the guys, one of the VIPER GUYS!" He will truly be missed, and we hope for the best for you Herb in the future! I doubt there will be another like him with the new company. He fought tooth and nail for us to have the new car that we have! God bless, and come out to see us in AZ anytime! Hope you do come out in 09 for the Viper vs. Viper race!

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've enjoyed the time I've had over the years racing with Herb and having hte opportunity to meet the folks he works with. He's done a lot for the car, for the Viper club, and for those of us personally who had a chance to know him. Best wishes Herb. You put smiles on a lot of faces.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke with Herb at VOI 9, he was a gentleman and had some interesting insights. Though he did say as long as he was around certain elements of the Viper would hold true. Those are going to be some big shoes to fill.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have thoughts of board room shouting matches with the new management about paddle shifters and cupholders, etc. Finally, the suits tell him to do it or take a hike. Hope that's not the case, but it does seem like a possibility. Maybe Herb or someone in the know can clarify and ease our angst.

Then again, with congress passing the stupid 35mpg law... Vipers will be a thing of the past anyways. :(

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, no, no, no, no. Simply unacceptable. The folks at Chrysler need to subtly hint to Herb that retirement is simply not an option, and that if he dares bring up the "R" word again his pet cat will suffer the consequences.

I share some of the concerns regarding the loss of the "Grailkeeper" and what impact that will have on the Viper. The closest analogy is what a certain other sports car program went through when it lost famed engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov. We can only hope that the people (and I do mean that in the plural) left to fill Herb's shoes share the same dedication and passion for sports car purity that Herb has.

Bottom line thoough is this: Herb, if you are reading this, thanks for a great car. Have a happy and productive (or unproductive if that is what you prefer) retirement. You deserve it.

/Rich

Last edited:

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! Tell me it's not so and this is a bad dream:omg:

Herb, Thank You for all you have done for Viper:drive: and most importantly the VCA:2tu: We will all miss you and wish you all the best!

PS:
Don't be a stranger:nono:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!! Not good news for the Viper. Kind of like Jim Brown and Walter Payton, leaving at the top of his game....600 horses and great reviews. Best of luck and have fun!:2tu:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd bet that the person that fills his position will indeed have the same passion for Vipers, and we should all just be happy that he was the "Grail Keeper" as long as he was. I hate to hear that he's leaving, but wish him the best!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Herb,

There will be NO ONE that will be able to fill the void, as you truly were the foundation of the Viper's sacred philosophy.

As a retired Regional and National VCA Officer, may I add that the respect that you offered ALL our VCA members, and the enlightening stories and tidbits you always volunteered at each and every meeting, were deeply appreciated by all that were lucky enough to meet you.

THANK YOU for your dedicated and tireless passion for all things Viper!

Friend4life.JPG

14Herb-jump-s.JPG

SRTBlock.JPG

14Ron_.jpg

Herb_Steve.JPG

herbmc1.jpg

notacup.jpg

....and if I remember correctly.....you mentioned that the original wording on the label above was supposed to say....

"Not a f$^&!'n cupholder!"

BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY AND HEALTHY RETIREMENT!

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great job Herb. As rewarding as it has been I'm sure it has also been quite difficult. I hope the torch can be passed to another purist. I'm available. :)

Good luck and enjoy retirement!

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd bet that the person that fills his position will indeed have the same passion for Vipers, and we should all just be happy that he was the "Grail Keeper" as long as he was. I hate to hear that he's leaving, but wish him the best!..

You have assumed correctly!

Herb has apparently passed the Grail to a long-term protege, who admits to thinking almost 'exactly like' Herb, having been mentored by/with Mr Helbig for well over a decade. He has been "Grailkeeper JR" til now....... "The Grail Is Safe" is the message I got back, and Herb has always been straight with us.

Please keep the comments and memories coming, I bet Herb is checking here on occasion....

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job Herb. And here's a positive spin. Now that he's retired, he can answer technical questions much better than in the Viper Mag. I'm sure he has a wealth of information he could not share while on the job.:2tu:

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like bad news to me... Thanks for your efforts, Herb.

I hope this isn't the start of cupholders in future Vipers.

I'm not as much concerned about the cup holders as I am the future of the Viper... This is not a good sign... :nono: :confused: :dunno:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have assumed correctly!

Herb has apparently passed the Grail to a long-term protege, who admits to thinking almost 'exactly like' Herb, having been mentored by/with Mr Helbig for well over a decade. He has been "Grailkeeper JR" til now....... "The Grail Is Safe" is the message I got back, and Herb has always been straight with us.

Please keep the comments and memories coming, I bet Herb is checking here on occasion....

trust... but verify :D

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herb is not the only one of the original Viper team that is retiring by the end of this year. We've all got to raise a cup of good cheer to those guys who's passion for the Viper vision burns in their hearts. Thanks much, Herb and the others, we appreciate all that you have done and look forward to what we can do together in the future!

See you at the Spring Brunch, Herbie!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man, now I will have to completely change my entire spiel on the proper break in procedure for a new Viper, " According to Herb." I would almost bet that 50% of Viper owners listened to the sage advice of Mr. Helbig on the care and feeding of a new Snake, and his honest , candid, devout belief in the car and it's owners will be missed, or..................................we may be lucky and just see him at more and more events ,just hanging out with the rest of us.

Best Wishes Herb, and we all hope to see you at many events over the coming years.:2tu:

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper

D

DAMN YANKEE

Good luck Herb...and thanks!

Jon, where can I get a shirt like the one you are wearing?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235