Anyone do the Hennessey 650R kit yet?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennessey has the 'prototype' kit on his demo car. See the thread here
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/609167-hennessey-does-10-77-133mph.html

You could also get the Mopar headers and exhaust, and ACR 2 pc rotors. Check with PartsRack, or your local Dodge dealer. Henessey builds his own headers, the rest I think is off the shelf. He puts the two piece rotors on to shave off some unsprung weight. Good idea. They look cool too. Get em. Get the entire kit. All your friends will be blown away by the car. You too. Load it up with goodies. I would. ;)

Last edited:

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincy,

You may wish to do a search for prior discussion about Hennessey before getting out your checkbook.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay away from Hennessey. They have a horrible reputation for screwing their customers, and have been sued many times.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably better off checking out MTI of Corvette fame for those headers and exhaust....Just saw on another forum they just ran a 10.7 @ 137mph in an 08 Viper with just there headers and exhaust.....Hennessey is bad news....

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. We are new to the Viper world and do not know the history. Feel free to send me private messages with more informaton.

Best wishes to all for the Holidays.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. We are new to the Viper world and do not know the history. Feel free to send me private messages with more informaton.

Vincy --

As someone who purchased a Viper after many of the incidents involving Hennessey Performance, I will try to give you my outsider's understanding of the issues from reading posts on this site as well as reading accounts in magazines such as Car and Driver.

Beginning a few years ago, Hennessey received complaints from more than one Viper owner regarding work delays and failures to perform agreed upon modifications. Long story short, this led to actual litigation in at least one instance, perhaps more. (I don't have the details.)

The bottom line is that Hennessey's reputation suffered, including on this site. For example, until just a short while ago, if you actually typed in the name "Hennessey" in a post, the word would be partially or completely blanked out except for the "H".

Now the counterpoint: As far as I can tell, Hennessey has partcipated in several magazine "shootouts" involing aftermarket tuner cars. For example, he regularly partcipates in shootouts conducted by Motor Trend and Car and Driver. More often than not, his cars win these comparisons and hold up well mechanically. SOme posters on this board and others chalk this up to aggressive marketing and self-promotion but the reality is that Mr. Hennessey appears capable of building products that perform.

It also appears from some of these magazine articles that Mr. Hennessey appears to have emerged from his legal troubles, at least in part, a little contrite and wiser with regard to customer relations.

If it were me (and I know this will send red flags up for many on this board) I would not categorically avoid Hennesey Performance but given his past issues you would need to do some fairly intensive due diligence, including (1) speaking with John Hennessey directly about these concerns (2) finding recent customers and getting their perspectives on his work and timeliness and (3) contacting the Texas Better Business Bureau regaridng any recent complaints.

Just my two cents; good luck.

/Rich

Last edited:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vincy --

As someone who purchased a Viper after many of the incidents involving Hennessey Performance, I will try to give you my outsider's understanding of the issues from reading posts on this site as well as reading accounts in magazines such as Car and Driver.

Beginning a few years ago, Hennessey received complaints from more than one Viper owner regarding work delays and failures to perform agreed upon modifications. Long story short, this led to actual litigation in at least one instance, perhaps more. (I don't have the details.)

The bottom line is that Hennessey's reputation suffered, including on this site. For example, until just a short while ago, if you actually typed in the name "Hennessey" in a post, the word would be partially or completely blanked out except for the "H".

Now the counterpoint: As far as I can tell, Hennessey has partcipated in several magazine "shootouts" involing aftermarket tuner cars. For example, he regularly partcipates in shootouts conducted by Motor Trend and Car and Driver. More often than not, his cars win these comparisons and hold up well mechanically. SOme posters on this board and others chalk this up to aggressive marketing and self-promotion but the reality is that Mr. Hennessey appears capable of building products that perform.

It also appears from some of these magazine articles that Mr. Hennessey appears to have emerged from his legal troubles, at least in part, a little contrite and wiser with regard to customer relations.

If it were me (and I know this will send red flags up for many on this board) I would not categorically avoid Hennesey Performance but given his past issues you would need to do some fairly intensive due diligence, including (1) speaking with John Hennessey directly about these concerns (2) finding recent customers and getting their perspectives on his work and timeliness and (3) contacting the Texas Better Business Bureau regaridng any recent complaints.

Just my two cents; good luck.

/Rich

Or just skip all that trouble. Only buy from one of the many great vendors on this forum.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the boys on this board earn the reputation 'venemous.' Most of the posters against H******* have probably never had any direct dealings with him. If he was as bad as all the spit, he wouldn't be in business, believe me. I have seen neg posts about pretty much evey builder and after market supplier. If you want to satisfy public opinion, go MOPAR all the way and you will be loved in the VCA. Then again, what are OPINIONS worth? (Ans: Consider the source.) BTW, I have never had any dealings with H*******, so I have NO OPINION.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I purchased a set of Take-Off FE 5 Spokes for my '06 Coupe from Hennessey.

Prompt Shipping and No Issues.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or just skip all that trouble. Only buy from one of the many great vendors on this forum.

With all the known quality tuners and suppliers that are sponsors here, why in the world would you consider someone of questionable integrity?

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincy,

You may wish to do a search for prior discussion about Hennessey before getting out your checkbook.

Do a search with his name...
There is a reason why he is not in this forum.
There are many others that are more "considerate" with customers cars and wallets...

Please refer to post number 4 and 5 and do some searching.

Vincy,

Are you allergic to the search feature? Try doing some of the leg work instead of repeatedly asking people to spoon feed you. Sheesh. Man, the old saying really is true: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincy,

Are you allergic to the search feature? Try doing some of the leg work instead of repeatedly asking people to spoon feed you. Sheesh. Man, the old saying really is true: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I use the search feature very often. For some reason I didn't find what is needed. I didn't intend to bother people questions.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that crap was put to rest years ago , JH has been doing the right thing now for years with zero problems. He will send you parts COD if you wish. This is 2007 not 1997...........call him if you have a question.
spray.

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW also...bought a front bumper from him...he was a cool guy.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I would be interested in seeing if that car sells... What a mess that will be in 2000 miles.

You know, I dealt with H*** in the early 90s, he was a good guy, and I'm sure he's learned the errors of his ways and is a stand-up guy now.

But honestly, I like to support the sponsors of the VCA, I bought my car from a (local) sponsor, and honestly, the bellanger setup looks every bit as promising as the H**** setup, so why not buy from someone who helps this great organization out. As soon as I see some more numbers somewhere (and my car gets here), I'll be calling JonB, not JohnH.

No matter what you think of H, you gotta admit he is the master marketer...

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11 grand lol. For headers and exhaust!! Must be made out of platinum.
I think the $11k gets a bit more than that...according to Car and Driver:

When you start with 8.4 liters and 600 horsepower, an increase of 78 demands only a K&N air filter and a tweaked exhaust featuring custom headers, aftermarket catalytic converters, and high-flow mufflers. That’s it. Two-piece brake rotors, which save eight pounds per corner, complete the performance upgrades. Otherwise, the price of entry nets buyers a laundry list of “look at me!” features: “Powered by Hennessey” valve-cover badges, Hennessey and Venom 650R exterior badges, a Hennessey windshield banner, “Hennessey Venom Power” floor mats, and serial-numbered plaques on the dash and in the engine bay.

Also, installation costs included. :eater:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that crap was put to rest years ago , JH has been doing the right thing now for years with zero problems. He will send you parts COD if you wish. This is 2007 not 1997...........call him if you have a question.
spray.

How about when he tried to sneak onto SVTperformance under the name CarmelSVT and put his real name and location in the profile. Then he tried to sell and promote his products for the GT500 underhandedly. This was only a few months ago.

And when he got called on it he used his same viper alley etiquet with the nutswingers dialogue. LOL.

I call that the right thing, makes enough money to be in Dupont Registry (which is a lot), but wont pay to sell his stuff on the other sites. And has threatened to sue people over then net for calling him out.

If you want to spend your money there, dont say you werent warned.

And I have some PERSONAL experience with MTI, dont go there either.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why anybody would want to do business with a known crook is beyond me?:dunno: I understand he may have turned things around now and is no longer a crook but his prior actions still do not sit right with me.

For the record I have had no personal experiences with him, but have read the many posts on this board over the years and it was enough to persuade my decisions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss