New Owner-would like input

dawgman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:usa: Hello Everyone,
I am picking up a stock '95 RT/10 from Florida this week, and will be driving it back to Wisconsin. 1st time Viper owner, and will need to drive with the soft top and windows on. No snow involved hopefully, but maybe some rain. I am looking for any tips/advise for the drive back (what can I expect kind of stuff, especially with the soft top). I have been reading alot about the car on this forum, and it looks like I'm in for a great ride!!!
Thanks!!
Steve

QUICK SILVER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should not have any problems with the top. dont push it if the weather changes. ENJOY THE BEST THIHG YOU EVER DID.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First post and already listed as an Owner?!? Wow, you are blessed by the forum gods for sure.

And enjoy the car. Slow down in the rain. Blah blah blah...

Wait until you get home to do stupid stuff like mash the gas on a corner and see if it gets loose!

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my RT/10 up to connecticut and back after 2 days of ownership (1200 miles each way) in mid april. It was in the mid to upper 80's in florida and in the low fifties and low sixties in CT.(now I remember why I moved).
I studied the forums for months before I even bought my car and some of the best advice was: the tires hate cold weather, the car is a lot longer and wider than you think it is and be sure to use the next higher gear than you would normally use in the rain.

The first rain I ran into was a thunderstorm, at night while I was crossing the cheasapeake bay bridge/tunnel. car didn't leak, drove great in the rain with no issues.

hope you like attention cause I was totally unprepared for the amount of people that will stare and ask you about the car. I thought the forum was all hype until it started happening to me.

the people on this board really know what they are talking about, so study up on the forums listen to the advice and you will have a memorable trip and you won't get "snakebit"

Good luck with your new car, there is no other car like it.
stay safe and enjoy.

and if you are anything like me, no matter how nice a hotel your staying in you will still check on your car every few hours.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait until you get home to do stupid stuff like mash the gas on a corner and see if it gets loose!

IF ?????? and new owner!! you mean when?

Just take it very easy and be very careful in the rain and if you hit snow...find some covered parking and wait it out.
congrats on a great choice of cars.
:2tu:

V

Venomiss

:usa: Hello Everyone,
I am picking up a stock '95 RT/10 from Florida this week, and will be driving it back to Wisconsin. 1st time Viper owner, and will need to drive with the soft top and windows on. No snow involved hopefully, but maybe some rain. I am looking for any tips/advise for the drive back (what can I expect kind of stuff, especially with the soft top). I have been reading alot about the car on this forum, and it looks like I'm in for a great ride!!!
Thanks!!
Steve

Welcome!
Please check your tires! Change them out before taking that long drive.
Take lot's of pictures on the way home.
Here is a site you might like to check out if you haven't seen it already:
Home Page - Viper Club of America - Illinois Region

Safe travels for you!

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey... I just did a similar thing the week after Christmas. Bought a Viper down in Naples Florida and drove it up here to Georgia. Much shorter trip - almost wished I lived in Wisconsin... haha (except for the cold weather).
Anyway, before you leave, check the tires, oil level, lights, & wipers. Make sure it is safe to play in. I brought some CDs but enjoyed listening to the engine far more. It was sweet music to my ears.
Yeah everyone stares, gives you thumbs up, etc. But beware the kids in their 'rice rockets.' Within the first 25 miles of leaving Naples, some kid in a Honda Civic with nitrous wanted to race me!!! I'm practically idling down the highway doing 80-85 and the engines only turning about 1600 rpm!!! What a joke. It sounded like his was probably turning 3500-4000. That's when I just looked at him and said "Dream on, fother mucker! (or something that rhymes with that).
Seriously! Take a camera and stop along the way to enjoy the sights, people and experience. You'll never forget it!

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love it!!! my 95 is great ! look how to open and shut the hood if you dont know. They are nice geared cars,Have fun!

OP
OP
D

dawgman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW!! Thanks for all the quick responses, and the advice! You all are great! I leave Wisconsin tomorrow, and somehow I don't think I will sleep tonight (darn, no Viper dreams), thinking about what lies ahead.
Thanks again!
Steve

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If there's rain or snow on the ground, be easy with her, even cold tires make it easier to slip out.

Enjoy it! Don't be stupid! Spend a couple hours on the road with her before you even think about giving it a little(and I mean under half throttle, it doesn't take much).

Where in Wisconsin?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as a new owner i know you are excited, but no way would i risk driving a viper on cold winter roads, or rainy roads, or possibly in the snow, and especially for that distance.

anyway, congrats and i wish you LUCK!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill Pembertontold me that only the 17" tires on the Gen 1's are worse than the runcraps on Gen 3's in the rain.

With near new runcraps my Viper went 90 degrees for absolutely NO reason in the snow while driving normal (no throttle).

If you've got the original tires, get a Motel room if it rains or snows.

If you can't stop and there's snow, use some nylon rope and tie it around the tires and rims - they'll work as slippery "chains" and make a huge difference.

Good luck

Ted

OP
OP
D

dawgman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for the response. I am from Ripon which is North of Milwaukee about 80 miles -
Steve

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ripon, WI weather Intellicast.com - Local Weather in Ripon, Wisconsin

today - cold, rainy, 1-2 inches of snow likely in evening.

wed - cold, rainy.

thursday - cold, 50% chance of snow.

friday - cold, 20% chance of snow.

and if it does snow, i doubt it will melt anytime soon with those cold temps.

let me run this scenario at you - what happens if your Gen I viper breaks down on the side of the road? trust me, autozone, pepboys, nor o'reillys will be able to help you, AT ALL.

PLEASE, have it delivered. it could be the best $500 you ever spend.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Watertown, right in between Madison and Milwaukee. Not the best day for bringing it back around here.

It's pouring cats and dogs in this part of Wisconsin, which is supposed to switch to snow.

I'd get it shipped, but it could be great weather until Wisconsin. If you're die-hard set on driving it back. Just be smart. Take it really easy, in cold rain, it doesn't take much throttle to let it fishtail.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ripon, WI weather Intellicast.com - Local Weather in Ripon, Wisconsin

today - cold, rainy, 1-2 inches of snow likely in evening.

wed - cold, rainy.

thursday - cold, 50% chance of snow.

friday - cold, 20% chance of snow.

and if it does snow, i doubt it will melt anytime soon with those cold temps.

let me run this scenario at you - what happens if your Gen I viper breaks down on the side of the road? trust me, autozone, pepboys, nor o'reillys will be able to help you, AT ALL.

PLEASE, have it delivered. it could be the best $500 you ever spend.

I agree with the big Italian guy. The first two weeks I had my Viper, I spun it end for end on cold wet roads - TWICE. There was no snow or else I would have probably done something worse.

Pay to have it shipped. It's worth it.

al_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 98 rt-10. You might want to consider a cockpit cover. You can pop it on as a sunshade, or dust cover. Its very handy. Call jon at parts rack.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also wondering, need another Viper owner in Wisconsin!

OP
OP
D

dawgman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, and again thanks for the input/advice. I am back safe and sound!! Picked the car up in Ft. Lauderdale on day one and drove to Daytona Beach. A long,long day but what a thril drving the car for the 1st time. Went to the speedway and watched NASCAR testing which was great, but not as great as driving the Viper!! ( I am going to try to attach some pics). Next leg was Daytona to Atlanta. Car ran great and weather was great as well. Some guy pulls up along side some "hot" little machine, amd I think he wants to get on the gas. Instead his passenger signals a thumbs up, and takes a picture! Cool! Next day to Southern Il, and again good weather. Now an owner of a gas station wants a picture. Cool again! Last day hit some rain/snow north of Milwaukee. Slow to 45mph for a bit, and make it back with no problems(thank you God)!! Last three days been changing oil/cleaning etc.. LOVE the car, but with 20" of snow on the ground I'll have to settle for looking at it!! Thanks again for all the replies!
Steve

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts