My SSG 08 Woodhouse buying experience.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I met Bill P. and Woodchuck a little over 10 years ago at Viperdays I hadn't ever bought a Viper from them. Last fall I called Bill and ordered my 08, then after seeing the SSG convert at SEMA I asked Bill to change my order from black to green. The whole ordering process working with Bill was as easy and pleasant as humanly possible. This was my first new Viper since 1999 as all my others had been purchased on the secondary market.

The car was delivered to Woodhouse on Saturday and delivered to my door this afternoon. Bill had kept me apprised of the cars status almost daily from factory build to my door. Not once did I ever have to call to ask what was happening with my car. The car was immaculate and perfect upon arrival. The whole experience was really amazing in terms of the attention paid to this deal. Bear in mind this was my first car with them as I wasn't a repeat customer. Bill makes me feel like I was his only customer and doesn't seem to hold a grudge even though I had to show him the fast way around the Pahrump track the last time we were out there for Viperdays. LOL

The Woodhouse buying experience reminded me of growing up in Chicago and listening to Norm Krauss from Grand Spaulding Dodge talk about his customers and cars when he visited my fathers restuarant. Both krauss and Woodhouse are very customer oriented and truly enjoy what they are doing. Grand Spaulding was famous for selling heavily modified cars right off the showroom floor in the 60s as Woodhouse will do today. Both are heavily involved in racing and have close relationships with the factory. It also reminded me of a Chicago neighborhood friend who bought a big block Camaro from Nickey Chevrolet and had them modify it before delivery. Both Grand Spaulding and Nickey like Yenko Chevrolet in Penn. are legendary dealers from the golden era of muscle in the 60s.

I believe today we are living through another golden era of horsepower and performance, and much like the 60s I think this current era is rapidly drawing to a close. Three states now have the legal right to regulate their own emissions and soon emissions and gas mileage will be significantly higher than today. Whether or not you personally believe in man made global warming most politicians do and they are going to start implementing new regulations on the auto industry and soon. This I think will lead to the end of 600 HP street cars and as an example Bob Lutz has been quoted as saying he wanted to kill the new Camaro program but it was too far along to kill due to emission and mileage concerns.

When this era ends we will be left with the memories of current dealers like Woodhouse, Roanoke,Tator and a few others I forgot to mention including tuners like Cragin. I think these currebt dealers will be the dealer legends my kids talk about the way we talk about Mr. Norm ,Nickey and Don Yenko today.

So my thought is whenever we performance HP/muscle ******'s get the chance we should step back right now and reflect on how lucky we are to be living in an era when a manufacturer like Dodge is still building us 600 HP street legal ACR track cars and Comp Coupes for Racing and outrageous SSG 600 HP street cars not to mention planning the next Viper owner invitationals.

We should step back and enjoy todays good old days when you can pick up a phone call a guy like Pemberton and order a new handbuilt 600 HP Viper to your specs exactly the way you want it then have it modified any way you want it, then delivered right to your door. All without the dealer trying to gouge you or mark the car up like the Ford dealers are STILL doing for the Shelby GT 500s and the Chevy dealers are doing right now for their new ZR1. What a refreshing pleasure to call a dealer like Woodhouse on a low volume handbuilt 600 HP car and NOT have the dealer BS you about why you should pay over MSRP. I say we savor these moments because I think they never will come again.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les Quam, I couldn't agree more!

Bill Pemberton (Willie Dah "P") is truly a class act, and a great friend to the VCA.:headbang:

I have my 2008 GTS Blue Coupe with Black Stripe coming from Woodhouse within the next couple of weeks. I can't wait, but Bill has been holding my hand and keeping me in the loop through the whole process of the build and delivery date.

Once I take delivery, I will post pictures and tell the whole story of how Bill and I struck a deal:2tu:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les your post is spot on, from Bill to this age of performance.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this is doing is making Bill’s head even larger. It’s like a planet already. Now he has another moon orbiting. By the way, I got my car from Bill. I think I am the 3233rd moon in orbit. Congratulation Les all kidding aside the Woodhouse experience is a good thing.

OP
OP
Les Quam

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try to take some pictures today and then will need some help posting them. I have always been a bona fide green car hater but this color is really unique. Very Viperlike. Green coupe, no stripes, H wheels. The new exhaust note is a big improvement, very pleased. And I have always hated the sound of the side exhaust but really enjoy the new tuning.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with every word you said Les and will add that Mark Jorgensen, Woodhouse's Service Manager, is Bills equivalent in his area.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try to take some pictures today and then will need some help posting them. I have always been a bona fide green car hater but this color is really unique. Very Viperlike. Green coupe, no stripes, H wheels. The new exhaust note is a big improvement, very pleased. And I have always hated the sound of the side exhaust but really enjoy the new tuning.

SSG is no doubt the best looking color of 08' and I've always liked the H wheels. That should be an AWESOME car you got Les! I can do the posting of the pics for you. Just email them to [email protected]

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Les, congtats on your new SSG 08! Best 08 color I think ...

I bought my 06 VOI 9 Coupe from Bill. He's the best! Don't forget Mark J and his crew in the Woodhouse service department. They have done a bunch of work on my car. They treat your Viper like it's belongs to them. What a great combo! :)

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I met Bill P. and Woodchuck a little over 10 years ago at Viperdays I hadn't ever bought a Viper from them. Last fall I called Bill and ordered my 08, then after seeing the SSG convert at SEMA I asked Bill to change my order from black to green. The whole ordering process working with Bill was as easy and pleasant as humanly possible. This was my first new Viper since 1999 as all my others had been purchased on the secondary market.

The car was delivered to Woodhouse on Saturday and delivered to my door this afternoon. Bill had kept me apprised of the cars status almost daily from factory build to my door. Not once did I ever have to call to ask what was happening with my car. The car was immaculate and perfect upon arrival. The whole experience was really amazing in terms of the attention paid to this deal. Bear in mind this was my first car with them as I wasn't a repeat customer. Bill makes me feel like I was his only customer and doesn't seem to hold a grudge even though I had to show him the fast way around the Pahrump track the last time we were out there for Viperdays. LOL

The Woodhouse buying experience reminded me of growing up in Chicago and listening to Norm Krauss from Grand Spaulding Dodge talk about his customers and cars when he visited my fathers restuarant. Both krauss and Woodhouse are very customer oriented and truly enjoy what they are doing. Grand Spaulding was famous for selling heavily modified cars right off the showroom floor in the 60s as Woodhouse will do today. Both are heavily involved in racing and have close relationships with the factory. It also reminded me of a Chicago neighborhood friend who bought a big block Camaro from Nickey Chevrolet and had them modify it before delivery. Both Grand Spaulding and Nickey like Yenko Chevrolet in Penn. are legendary dealers from the golden era of muscle in the 60s.

I believe today we are living through another golden era of horsepower and performance, and much like the 60s I think this current era is rapidly drawing to a close. Three states now have the legal right to regulate their own emissions and soon emissions and gas mileage will be significantly higher than today. Whether or not you personally believe in man made global warming most politicians do and they are going to start implementing new regulations on the auto industry and soon. This I think will lead to the end of 600 HP street cars and as an example Bob Lutz has been quoted as saying he wanted to kill the new Camaro program but it was too far along to kill due to emission and mileage concerns.

When this era ends we will be left with the memories of current dealers like Woodhouse, Roanoke,Tator and a few others I forgot to mention including tuners like Cragin. I think these currebt dealers will be the dealer legends my kids talk about the way we talk about Mr. Norm ,Nickey and Don Yenko today.

So my thought is whenever we performance HP/muscle ******'s get the chance we should step back right now and reflect on how lucky we are to be living in an era when a manufacturer like Dodge is still building us 600 HP street legal ACR track cars and Comp Coupes for Racing and outrageous SSG 600 HP street cars not to mention planning the next Viper owner invitationals.

We should step back and enjoy todays good old days when you can pick up a phone call a guy like Pemberton and order a new handbuilt 600 HP Viper to your specs exactly the way you want it then have it modified any way you want it, then delivered right to your door. All without the dealer trying to gouge you or mark the car up like the Ford dealers are STILL doing for the Shelby GT 500s and the Chevy dealers are doing right now for their new ZR1. What a refreshing pleasure to call a dealer like Woodhouse on a low volume handbuilt 600 HP car and NOT have the dealer BS you about why you should pay over MSRP. I say we savor these moments because I think they never will come again.

agree 110 %.......

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bad Dealers ... Not so sure it's bad dealers. Just dealers that don't have much Viper experience ...

From my prospective, I like doing business with a guy (Bill P) who has been a Viper owner, active in the VCA, and a driving instructor.

Mark J in the Woodhouse shop is a long time racer, not to mention a championship SCCA driver ...

Our Vipers are special, limited production cars. Takes a big commitment from a Dodge Dealer to be a total "Viper Shop", not just a place to buy a car. Nice to have folks around with that type of experience. Glad we have a few across the country to deal with ... Good luck to all!!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave