brake kits

al_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd viper, a 2001 gts. I'm on the street 90% of the time and 10% on the track playing around. I'm considering upgrading to Stoptech calipers and rotors. I used Brembos before and they worked well, but it was a track setup and when the pads arent hot, they squeel like a pig! I want the stopping power but not the noise. Any suggestions?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, the best I found was a lighweight 14" front brake kit from Roe Racing Performance Parts $1500.00! choice of brake pads, SS lines, Black/Red Brembos w logo, aluminium hats and slotted discs.

Call Roe for pads, I've got EBC Greens and ordered the same for my new fronts.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got EBC Green pads and Eradispeed lightweight crossdrilled, slotted rotors all around right now, but they're all 13".

My 98 GTS had the rear calipers drilled out and fitted with 40mm pistons. Reports were that it was the greatest increase that could be done to the 2000 and earlier Gen 2 brakes. That car had EBC Green pads and lighweight drilled/slotted rotors as well.

The ABS has 44mm pistons in the rear calipers from the factory so they're already pretty good. I just couldn't deal with the fact that a Gen 3 could probably short shorter than me - so I'm fixing that with the 14" front kit.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTSbud jsut purchased all the calipers and E brake kit for big brakes from Big Brakes Dave on his 96 b/w project (don't know what he paid). Stainless Steel lines are another great upgrade and the front lines come with Roe's kit. With them on the 98 GTS I got more brakes the harder I pushed the pedal, but I couldn't feel the pedal go down at all. It moved down 'till they started to slow the car and then more pressure got more braking, but no pedal movement.

Shouldn't have any trouble outstopping new Vipers and new vettes now!

Ted

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a reminder: The EBC green brake pads have been made with a different formula the last 2yrs than before. They are not much different than the stock pads. If you are looking for less dusting and will do infrequent track use go with the EBC reds. They are better than the greens and are more comparable to the old greens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

al_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I also have a roe blower. How do you like yours? Do you get any sqelling with the greens?

AL

OP
OP
A

al_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I also have a roe blower. How do you like yours? Do you get any sqelling with the greens?

AL

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought both my cars they came with lighweight rotors and decnt sized rear calipers. They were both upgraded with lighweight rotors (slotted/crossdrilled), better pads and the 98 had SS brake lines. These mods make the Gen 2's stop comparable to the Gen3s. But, since I did have some color in the 13" front rotors I decided to upgrade to 14" and stay with the lighweight rotors. Once I install them on the car it'll have BETTER performance than a Gen3. And that's all I'm after - the best Viper FOR ME!

I have NO brake noise. Occaissionally the ABS surges the braking, but that's common on all ABS systems. There is not much dust on my 'spoked' wheels so it's all good.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235