Help With Small Oil Leak

ViperBrockway

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned my 1997 Dodge Viper for about 6 months, before purchasing I had it checked out at a dodge dealer and there were no oil leaks. Recently when pulling it out of the garage I found some oil underneath the engine. It seems to drip just a few times after use. Under the hood oil is accumulating on the water pump and then dripping down. There is nothing directly above the water pump that I can see dripping down. I have attached two pictures of the problem, if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be please let me know.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a smart-ass, but detail the front of that engine. Nothing fancy, just Auto Zone products and a garden hose.

Will make finding a leak much easier without the dirt and grime.

Timing cover would be my guess as there is nothing else on the front of the engine.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil is comng from the timing cover gasket.This is a common issues on the early gen 2 cars.The white thing is attatched to the injector wiring harness under the intake manifold i guess to help keep it straight and not hang down into the valley area.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the group.
I had it fixed on my '98, and it has just started dripping on my '97.
That is definitely the problem.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>What is this?<<<

An extra long cigarette? Sammy Davis Jr. is hiding behind your coil packs :lmao:

OP
OP
V

ViperBrockway

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I talked to the Viper tech here in Dallas and he said that to replace the timing cover gasket is an 8 hour job. He charges$90 an hour for Viper work and said the entire job would be around $800. Does this seem resonable or am I being taken here?

V

Venomiss

North Texas Viper Club

In case you missed it before.

Hopefully other Texas Viper owners will be chiming in with thoughts about the timing cover gasket work for you. What dealership are you using?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I talked to the Viper tech here in Dallas and he said that to replace the timing cover gasket is an 8 hour job. He charges$90 an hour for Viper work and said the entire job would be around $800. Does this seem resonable or am I being taken here?

JonB's "FREE" Seeping gasket fix, for customers only:

1) Dont Do this During TRACK EVENTS

2) Find some HI MILEAGE SEAL CONDITIONING OIL as by Quaker State or Castrol. It is sold for "vehicles exceeding 100k miles" It is petrol based, NOT Synthetic.

3) Drain all engine oil, and fill your Viper with this oil; drive it a regularly, for a few hundered miles if possible. Even regular short trips are OK. Idling is even OK, but not as good. Oil Pressure over time is better.

4) You should see these leaks diminish and even STOP. T/C cover, rear main seal, etc. The usual culprits should STOP seeping.

5) Leave it in for a couple months or 1500 miles, and then switch back to Full Syn.

6) Repeat as needed, probably every 4th oil change. DONT TRACK "HI-MILEAGE" OIL. I have had several customers say "THANKS JonB' it WORKED! "

*** If you use this tip, and are NOT a PartsRack customer, your motor could implode.***

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper