Gen 3 oil change tips

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
604SRT10,

This is a common mistake - don't feel to bad, just check next time..... one of our local guys made this same mistake just before running at Viper Days and Tom Seesions, great Viper Tech that he is, caught it during Tech Inspection - likely saved the engine.

black mamba1,

Daniel Lesser will likely know if he's around. I'd guess that they made some changes to the oiling system and rod / main bearings.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know why oil was changed from 10w 30 for 04's to 0w 40 for 05's and later models?

Main bearings changed from 120 degree in 92-04 to a 180 degree in 05+. 180 degree mains allow for better transfer of the oil from the block to the crankshaft oil journals, increasing the oil flow to the rod bearings. On the downside, increasing oil flow also lowers the oil pressure at low engine speeds where the relief isnt actively venting.

Couple the large number of bearings in the Viper engine with decently large oil clearances, a pump that is borderline too small and 10W-30 oil which is pretty thin at high temps, and you have an oil pressure problem when not using 120 degree "restrictor" main bearings that keep flow in check. However, as proven time and time again on SRT-10's, oil flow to the rods should not be a compromise!

As a temp fix without having to make any other changes and to keep the engine in a normal operating pressure range, the solution at the time was to bump the Viper to 0W-40, being a heavier weight oil it remains thicker at higher temps keeping flow rates in check, and also protects better with a thicker oil film, an added bonus. Being a 0W cold oil, it also doesnt have a cold pumping down-side to its use. Even with this change however, 05-06 cars STILL see a drastic pressure drop at idle compared to earlier cars. 04's see about 50 PSI hot idle, and 05-06 sees about 25-30 PSI with their respective OEM fills.

In 2008 to combat this issue, on top of needing even more oil flow because of the cam, the oil system was completely revised, including a 20% larger oil pump.

Ultimately, 0W-40 is a better oil for the Viper application. It has better high temp and low temp properties, offers more protection, and it better suited to the clearances the Viper engine uses in most cases. Why didnt they use 0W-40 back in Gen-1/2? I dont think it was available yet honestly, and it was just left alone until it eventually became an active issue.

Last edited:

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the idiotic response I got from a local Dodge dealer. They insisted to me that 10W-30 was the correct oil for my 2006 Viper, so that's what they put in. They did not believe me when I reminded them that both the cap and the manual say 0W-40.

I emailed them photos of my oil filler cap and my owners manual. They still had to "call and check" which took two days.

Then I was told that due to our climate here, 10W-30 is a better oil than 0W-40, and I should leave in the 10W-30 regardless. I reminded them that we live in a freakin' desert! 40 weight oil is certainly better protection than 30 weight when it's 115 degrees outside and God only knows how hot under the hood. And of course, it's not likely to drop below freezing anytime soon (as in, NEVER).

After all that, they finally agreed to replace my oil with 0W-40.

My lesson has been learned. NO dealership oil changes for my Viper again - ever.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to call your regional service rep and forward all your paperwork to him/her regarding this dealership.

Can you, or anyone else, tell me how to find a contact number for a regional service rep? I agree that it's time to move this issue to a higher level.

V

Venomiss

Can you, or anyone else, tell me how to find a contact number for a regional service rep? I agree that it's time to move this issue to a higher level.
Guessing they did have a certified Viper Tech at your dealership? Can't believe they would make that mistake with one on site.

Two ideas to get the number.
First talk with the dealership you used and ask for the number.
Second,if you can't get the number that way find another Dodge dealership either in your area or close by and give them a call for the number to the regional service rep.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guessing they did have a certified Viper Tech at your dealership? Can't believe they would make that mistake with one on site.

Two ideas to get the number.
First talk with the dealership you used and ask for the number.
Second,if you can't get the number that way find another Dodge dealership either in your area or close by and give them a call for the number to the regional service rep.

Yes, they do have a certified Viper tech. Hard to believe though...
I'll see what I can do to find the regional service rep. Thanks for your answers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950