Gen 3 oil change tips

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my car in Sept from a local guy. He had just had service done to the car at 5k miles, I took delivery of it with 5,100 on it. I'm now sitting at about 8,100 miles, and I would like to change the oil and filter. I've gone Mobil 1 synth in my truck every 3k miles since it was new, figure I'd do the same to the viper, cheap insurance and all that.

Well, I poked around a bit, but nothing really jumped out at me in the forum search. I picked up a Mobil 1 filter, filter cap wrench, and 10qts of 0W40. Before I start into it:

From my quick underside look the drain plug is on the driverside, and the filter probably would be easiest to unscrew from the top then removed from the bottom.

Anyone have any tips or tricks worth sharing on changing oil/filter in a gen 3? Any pitfalls or gotchas I should know about before hand?

Reaction score
The Gen3 takes 11 quarts! Mobil 1 filters are NOT good. The filter will come off nicely from under the car and make sure the car is level when draining or checking the oil as the pan is very long and you don't want to over fill or under drain the oil.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its very simple doing oil change. Like Mark said, use 11 qts of oil. Alos check often, mine seems to burn oil once and awhile, more so If im driving it hard. Everything is easliy accessed under car, I jack up and drain oil and then lower it down flat to get all the oil out.

Also, use the new Mopar performance filter, it is supposed to have bettter oil pressure. It looks different too, it is white and says Viper on it. Part # 05037836AA
Ive found most of my local dealers dont stock this filter, so I order 2-3 at a time. Now one of my dealers is going to start stocking them.

OP
OP
C

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, the Mobil 1 filter is out... Called my local Dodge dealer and will pick up a couple filters & another qt after work tomorrow. Thanks guys.

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walmart has Mobil1 0W40 for $5.88 a quart. What's the dealer charging you? Also, has anyone heard anything negative with K&N Oil filters? I have been using them for my past 2 oil changes with no issues (yet).

Thanks for the info in advance.

Ken

Last edited:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the K&N oil filters are one of the best if not THE best out there. Do they make one for the 08 Viper?

Flash

Ive read of K&N's coming apart inside. Of course you know what they say about what you hear on the internet. But I would stick with the factory filter. That way if something goes wrong, you are covered and cant be blamed on the filter.
And as I stated above, the new Mopar performance filter seems to work well, Ive noticed i maintain higher oil pressure and it ddoesnt drop off as much as did with old filter.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The #5037836AA oil filter comes from the comp coupe program. I think I read that it's going to be stock on the 08?

While your under her make sure you check your other fluid levels! Also give a shot of grease to your ball joints, tie-rods.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, get the engine warm to thin out the oil to drain easily. Not too hot or it will be difficult to work on.The filter plug has a magnetic tip so be sure to clean it and check for metal. Mine usually picks up a small "smudge" of grey ferrous stuff. It had more at my first 500 mile oil change but then it went down to the smudge and has stayed there fo 16,000 miles. Clean the tip onto a paper towel and after the oil is absorbed you can see whats left. Also, the plug washer is not the typical single use crush-type but has a built-in o-ring so it can be reused. I keep an extra on hand in case I damage mine. They're cheap. On my '05 the plug gets torqued to 34 nM which equals 25 ft.lb. As other have said, this is an easy job and a chance to inspect under your car.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very simple doing oil change. Like Mark said, use 11 qts of oil. Alos check often, mine seems to burn oil once and awhile, more so If im driving it hard. Everything is easliy accessed under car, I jack up and drain oil and then lower it down flat to get all the oil out.

Also, use the new Mopar performance filter, it is supposed to have bettter oil pressure. It looks different too, it is white and says Viper on it. Part # 05037836AA
Ive found most of my local dealers dont stock this filter, so I order 2-3 at a time. Now one of my dealers is going to start stocking them.
so the 08 oil filter will ork on a 06 model?i have been using the kns oil filter for all the vipers i have owned.i will try the 08 filter on my next service

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 08 from woodhouse I also bought some extra oilf filters from Mark. The part number is 1-05038041AA. I haven't removed my factory original filter yet to get a part number.

OP
OP
C

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called a local Dodge dealer and asked for Part # 05037836AA, the rep said they didn't normally stock them but could have some on hand by the next day. True to his word, when I stopped by after work he had them. Picked up 4 so I'd have a stash. I also asked if they had a viper tech on staff, but the guy to ask wasn't around at the time. I took the service managers buisness card so I could try and reach him later to ask, would be good to know.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those Mopar performance filters are the ame ones they gave us at VOI9. So any of you who went,will know what they are. When i first got mine at VOI9 I thought they just had them specially made for our event, something to throw in with your collectibles. No one ever explained it. Then I read it here and saw a pic and said "hey that looks like mine in my garage." I found out they were readily available from Woodhouse , so Iordered some from local dealer.

Its funny, I have 3 Dodge dealers within 10 minutes of me and none of them had heard of it. Woodhouse seemed to be the only one I heard of stocking them. So now I have a Viper file saved in my phone and when i go into dealer i just give them the part #'s for whatever fluids or parts i need. They dont seem to have a clue.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make sure the car is level when you change the oil since the oil pan is large and the plug is towards the center of the pan. Otherwise lots of oil will be left in the engine.

I use WIX oil filters from NAPA - I've read they are the best constructed available.

I also use the Dodge torque spec when tightening the oil filter. The 13.5 ft-lb torque value is in the service manual.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen3 takes 11 quarts! Mobil 1 filters are NOT good.

What's wrong with the Mobil 1 Filter? Are you saying I shouldn't use it on my Gen 3, but Ok for the Gen 2, or not Ok at all? Would it hurt to use it on the Gen 3? That is what I've been using on my Gen 2's for several years, and this is the first I've heard of this.

Reaction score
so the 08 oil filter will irk on a 06 model?i have been using the kns oil filter for all the vipers i have owned.i will try the 08 filter on my next service

The 08' filter will NOT work on the previous generations on Vipers. It s constructed to flow more and the mounting hole is larger than the Gen 3 and prior years.

Reaction score
What's wrong with the Mobil 1 Filter? Are you saying I shouldn't use it on my Gen 3, but Ok for the Gen 2, or not Ok at all? Would it hurt to use it on the Gen 3? That is what I've been using on my Gen 2's for several years, and this is the first I've heard of this.

It s our findings that the K&N and the Mobil filters since they filter so fine a micron that they not only plug quicker but during cold start they will "bypass" around the filter sooner. Both of these conditions are bad and especially the cold start because that is when the engine need good clean oil the most.

The Mopar Viper filters have a very good by pass valve and do not rinse "down" the filter element when by passing so this is a better all around design than the others IOHO.

Thanks,

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen3 takes 11 quarts! Mobil 1 filters are NOT good. The filter will come off nicely from under the car and make sure the car is level when draining or checking the oil as the pan is very long and you don't want to over fill or under drain the oil.

My owners manual says 10 qts stock but I'll take your advise.

What's the correct number of quarts for an '06 Gen3 with Paxton?

Thanks
John

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Additional tip, put the drain plug back in after draining and before refilling oil :D

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the oil fill cap on my 04 roadster said to fill with Mobil 1 10 w 30 full syn which I did. Is the 0 w 40 Mobil better for the V 10. I changed the oil myself because the shop I use only does Royal Purple and I wanted to stay with recommended. I AM trying to pamper the beast!

Reaction score
the oil fill cap on my 04 roadster said to fill with Mobil 1 10 w 30 full syn which I did. Is the 0 w 40 Mobil better for the V 10. I changed the oil myself because the shop I use only does Royal Purple and I wanted to stay with recommended. I AM trying to pamper the beast!

The corrct fill has been changed from the factory to use the 0-40 for all gen 3 cars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth