Wheel hop ?

jaxviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Still trying to post a few pics of the Viper and 340Scamp bracket car. Anyway, two quick ??. I noticied a fair amount of wheel hop in my 99 R/T in 1st & 2nd. Is this unusual ? And... is changing the thermostat a big issue ?? Easy to change, tuning problems ?? What a blast to drive !!!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that the tires were old on my car. When I changed to some new PS2's the wheel hop almost completely went away. How old are your tires? Don't have a clue on the t-stat. I betcha Dave6666 will chime in here.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that the tires were old on my car. When I changed to some new PS2's the wheel hop almost completely went away. How old are your tires? Don't have a clue on the t-stat. I betcha Dave6666 will chime in here.

There is a write up in the illustrated section on changing the thermostat. You have to be a VCA member to access that area. There are a variety of benefits to being a member. That is just one.

My '01 GTS has wheel hop. Did the billet tranny crossmember a poly mount. Will be putting my Woodhouse engine mounts in here shortly. Have heard those should help, but did not notice any real improvement yet with just the tranny done.

I have 1 year old Pilot Sports - the directional ones. Maybe PS2's will help as mad said.

If I have to I'll do Motons and other stuff.

Wheel hop *****.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wheel hop is part of the independant 4 wheel suspension. Might be able to find poly control arm bushings, they'd help as much as sticky tires. Old tires and the 3rd gen "run craps" make the hop problem really bad.

wheel hop is most dangerous for breaking axleshafts.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave