Recalls on the 1997 Viper GTS

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this on my other thread "Opinions needed!" but just incase most of you didn't read it there I thought I would make a separate thread..

So alright... hoping some of you might be able to help me!

I checked the VIN number through car fax, I know the 1997 has 4 known recalls... 1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Recalls & Problems at Motor Trend Buyer’s Guide

However, I looked my soon to be car up on carfax and there is one of those recalls found:
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm?partner=EBZ_3&vin=1B3ER69E7VV302412
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
#998 STEERING AND DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REPAIR

I believe that is referring to this recall found on the link here: 1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Recalls & Problems at Motor Trend Buyer’s Guide
1997 DODGE VIPER STEERING:RACK AND PINION:RACK
Recall Date: 10/04/2001

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES USED EXTENSIVELY IN TRACK TYPE RACING EVENTS AND SUBJECTED TO AGGRESSIVE DRIVING CONDITIONS COULD EXPERIENCECRACKING OF THE STEERING RACK MOUNTING BRACKETS.

Consequence:
THE CRACKS COULD EVENTUALLY LEAD TO SEPARATION OF THE STEERING RACK FROM THE FRAME OF THE VEHICLE. SEPARATION OF THE STEERING RACK COULD RESULT IN UNEXPECTED STEERING LOOSENESS AND LAG.

Remedy:
ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WILL HAVE A FIELD REPAIR KIT INSTALLED, CONSISTING OF LOWER FRAME RAIL REINFORCEMENT GUSSETS AND A REINFORCEMENT BRACKET. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 20, 2002. OWNERS WHO DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE INFORMATION WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected: 7050

Notes: DODGE VIPER 999

(I think there is an error because carfax lists this recall as "998" and the above statement reads "999")

However, I looked this up on Dodge's website by putting in the VIN number:
Dodge - Contact Us

And the status on this recall is incomplete so it has never actually been fixed I'm assuming. So would this or any of the other recalls be a problem or could I happily bring my new toy to Dodge and they would have all the recalls fixed?

Any information regarding this would be very helpful.. thank you!

:)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 998 recall is still covered by Dodge and will not cost you anything.
I recently had it done by Chuck Tator on my '97. You want to be sure it is done by a COMPETENT Viper tech, they have been done wrong on many occasions.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator 914-763-3136 he is the "Viper Wizard" on here and at Tator's Dodge in NY with the VIN and he will tell you everything you need to know.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator 914-763-3136 he is the "Viper Wizard" on here and at Tator's Dodge in NY with the VIN and he will tell you everything you need to know.

The Tator is awesome!!

I just gave him the VIN number and hes looking it up online printing it out and is going to call me back in a few minutes with all the details regarding this car before I make my purchase :2tu:

I will certainly drive all the way to NYC to get these recalls done by him once I get my car.. would make a fun roadtrip too considering I have some friends out there as well :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wowwww...I'm amazed at how many OTHERS have told you to call Chuck!!! GLAD Chuck is helping you out...it's what he does best. TRUST him. ~juli

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Stick with Chuck...have it done RIGHT the FIRST time.

FYI: Recall 999 refers to the steering rack only and applies to 1999 and 2000 Vipers.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice a theme in our convos? Sounds like Chuck gave you some good answers.

So buy the car and cruise on down to Tator's Dodge for some lovin'. Every ten years, you have to bring it in to get tested for the ***. :lmao:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So buy the car and cruise on down to Tator's Dodge for some lovin'. Every ten years, you have to bring it in to get tested for the ***. :lmao:

REALLY!!! The ***: "High-Invigorating-Virus"!!! :lmao: ~juli

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well Chuck said there was some history.. he said the 1997 Vipers were known to have some leakage on the top middle of the windshield and the records show some stuff was done to the windshield or it was replaced. History on the car also showed something was done to the hood but he couldn't tell what. And he said it looks like the transmission was totally replaced so the one in there now is brand new apparently(he said he comes across a lot of faulty transmissions tho) So I'm wondering if this car is still alright to buy... :dunno:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Chuck said there was some history.. he said the 1997 Vipers were known to have some leakage on the top middle of the windshield and the records show some stuff was done to the windshield or it was replaced. History on the car also showed something was done to the hood but he couldn't tell what. And he said it looks like the transmission was totally replaced so the one in there now is brand new apparently(he said he comes across a lot of faulty transmissions tho) So I'm wondering if this car is still alright to buy... :dunno:

What was Chucks' suggestion on BUYING this particular b/w? Did you also give him the specs on the other Viper you were thinking of buying? Curious as to what he would suggest to you about which Viper is the better buy? ~juli

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was Chucks' suggestion on BUYING this particular b/w? Did you also give him the specs on the other Viper you were thinking of buying? Curious as to what he would suggest to you about which Viper is the better buy? ~juli

I didn't tell him about the other one. I'm really stuck on the blue and white stripes; I think he said that the history he told me about wasn't a big issue. Just to check under the car to make sure everything is aligned and looks straight.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Recall 998 is as stated for vipers that experience track events. If you do not do track events you do not need this work done. Most owners have had it done.

Dodge offered this before the Comp Coupe came around. Because we were all converting our 96 & 97's into track cars.

If this vehicle has not been abused or tracked i would not worry about the recall...JMO..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lots of complaints occured with "NGR" in 96-97, called Neutral Gear Rattle.
Caused by the lumpy cam and the ATF fluid in the trans.

NGR-Whiney owners got 96-97 trans work under warrantee for no good reason. DONT WORRY ABOUT IT.

Chuck will put in Synthetic Mo-Par(Castrol) Trans fluid per TSB, and you should definiely have him UPGRADE THE FAN and the PCV lines for 1997 (Chuck knows)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you have to be some kinda candyass if NGR bothers you, it's a race car for crissakes.
The recall does strengthen the frame why not get it?
Strengthen frame/no charge=no brainer.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you have to be some kinda candyass if NGR bothers you, it's a race car for crissakes.
The recall does strengthen the frame why not get it?
Strengthen frame/no charge=no brainer.

As long as some idiot doesn't make your oil filter a permanent fixture while he's at it..... :rolleyes:

And yes - whining about NGR makes you worse than a GIRL. :smirk:

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 1997 B/W GTS (5500 miles) I have had since new.The car is just like brand new and runs excellent.I do not race it.I have not got the frame recall done,mostly because I do not know any Dodge dealer that does it in the Fort Lauderdale area.I called a couple and they advised they don,t do it.I check the welds all the time and their is no cracks.Do I need to get the recall done,or not worry about it? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave