four wheel alignment

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
getting ready to purchase new tires very soon. yes I plan on going through parts rack.I will need to have the dealer mount and install them seeing as there is no one local that I can find that seems reliable.

dealer is telling me I need to have a four wheel alignment done but I have heard some horror stories on this site about it.

doing a search just made things more confusing. so my questions are do I need to have a four wheel alignment done and if so are there any issues I need to be aware (or that I need to be sure that the dealer is aware of). they do have 2 dedicated viper techs and unfortunately tators is just to far away.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope not to join the horror stories. Fixing to have my GTS done next Sunday at the shop at Motorsport Ranch in Fort Worth. The guy doing it is the shop owners prior Viper Crew Chief for when he used to race. Not to be confused with the GTS race car they're building now.

Anyway, I'm warm and fuzzy for now.

Good luck.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to stir any feathers here but I would want to be right there when whatever shop you use is doing the 4 wheel thrust alignment. It is very important to make sure they install the thrust plates under the rear wheels if they are not built in to their alignment lift. Assuming your viper is stock you will want your cold tire pressures set to the factory spec and the tires balanced perfectly before you have the alignment done. You may have to have your dealer do the alignment as most alignment shops do not have wheel adapters big enough to fit the rear wheels of the viper. I purchased the adapters myself for my friends shop. This way he has them for the large wheels on the new trucks and he does not charge me to do my alignments on his Hunter machine. They cost me $800.00. Sounds like a lot but I know the job is done correctly. On a stock viper I try to set everything to the stock spec without using the +or- range of settings. It takes time but it can be done. Tell your alignment tech that you will pay him the hourly shop rate instead of a flat rate and you will get a better job.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it really need an alignment? If it doesn't pull to one side or another and if the tires aren't wearing unevenly do you really need to align it?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In general it is always a good idea to do a 4 wheel thrust alignment whenever you are installing new wheels or tires. The money spent is cheap insurance compared to the money you have outlaid for new tires, mounting and balancing.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie... Why is the wheel balancing so important to the alignment? We're going to balance my wheels anyway, but I don't see a relationship there. I've also never had an alignment done on a Viper before.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done probably 10 experimental alignments on my car as I autocross a lot and have found that there is a huge difference in getting the alignment correct. Sit in the drivers seat and get them to put 250-300 pounds in the back while you have the alignment done. This way when the car squats under launch the wheels will be exactly parallel to the ground and you will get max traction. This type of alignment will also help cornering due to the camber it puts in the rear. The rear tires will wear better as well. There is no relationship between wheel balancing and alignment. Whoever puts the tires on will balance the wheels.
-Dave.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you're at it. If you're an aggressive street driver and do an occasional autox or track day a more aggressive street alignment may be in order. GTS Bruce

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie... Why is the wheel balancing so important to the alignment? We're going to balance my wheels anyway, but I don't see a relationship there. I've also never had an alignment done on a Viper before.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

Balancing the wheels and tires will not make any difference on the alignment lift. New wheels and tires need to be balanced or they will, IMHO, change your alignment angles as you drive down the road and cause an unsafe condition. This is caused by the tire vibrating when it is out of balance. Also IMHO whenever you remove a wheel to balance it, and then reinstall it you may not get it perfectly on the wheel hub thus changing the alignment slightly. this is more true with non concentric wheels that do not fit the hub precisely. Why would you not want to balance your wheels before an alignment, reinstall them, and torque the wheel nuts to their specified torque.? now you know the wheels are mounted to the wheel hub perfectly before you do your alignment.