Learn to drag race my viper??

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can learn to drag race my car? Is there a place to learn or ways to practice without looking like a total idiot at the track before getting there? Maybe something online on rpms to shift at etc, how to heat the tires (burn out) without slamming the car into a post etc? I would like to got to the drag strip some time but just wouldn't know anything more than I do now when taking off from a stop light? I have tracked my car before and loved it but have never done timed 1/4miles?

Last edited:

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon,
I would suggest you contact your local drag strip or attend either a Viper Days driving course or an SRT experience, both of which will help with learning to drag race. I attended a Viper event at our local drag strip and there was an instructor who gave the basics on how to stage the car to line up appropriately at the beginning of the race, how to time your launch with the Xmas tree lights, etc. From my experience it is best to launch the Viper at a moderate rpm (about 2000) to avoid severe wheel hop and tire spin and once the tires hook up to then floor it shifting at about 5K. One or 2 trips down the strip and you will be hooked.:2tu:
PAvenom RT/10

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a Viper Days event but thats open road track and not drag at all. I loved it and plan on doing several more this year. What you described sounds great having somebody kind of instruct you through it like that!! Do local drag tracks (I have one near by) do that sort of thing? I.E. instruct? Thanks for the info!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check with your friendly local drag track. Tell them what you are looking for and they might have something for you.

Also hook up with your local VCA club and see if they have scheduled a drag day.

I know Pomona drag strip offers the Frank Hawley drag racing school in lots of different cars. They have offered classes and events to our local club. Might check in with them.

Technique is a Viper is pretty simple. Launch easy at about 2,000 RPM. Gun it through the gears, shifting softly so you do not spin the tires between first and 2nd, and take your time to make sure you have gotten into 3rd gear cleanly.

Then begin to raise your launch RPM's till you feel tire spin is slowing you down, and begin shifting faster as you get more experience.

At the very beginning of the track there will be a dip in the track for a water box. This is only for people with slicks. Since you have street tires with groves in them that will pick up too much water, simply drive around the water box to keep your tires dry.

Turn off A/C, roll up windows, stage your car at the starting line until both little yellow lights come on, then when you see the bigger yellow lights start to blink down, go when the last yellow light turns on, and you will launch just as the green light says GO GO GO!

At the end of 3rd gear, or just after going into 4th you will cross the finish line. Roll off the gas, coast for a bit then get on the brakes. You will need to turn to the left to exit the track. Be sure not the cross in the path of the car next to you. Drive slowly back down the return lane. Be sure to stop at a little shack where an employee will hand you your time slip. Take off your helmet and enjoy the moment.

Be sure to let the people running the track know it is your first time and have fun.

Last edited:

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shandon, Contact your local track, ask them if there is a weekday afternoon when a individual is renting the track. Contact the renting individual and give them a 100 bucks or so to let you share the track. I know when I rent the track to test out a new package, I might rent it for 4 hours and make 4 or 5 passes, the track I use supplies a starter and preps one lane with VHT (Sticky Stuff)...with street tires use the lane without the sticky stuff, your do better sometimes someone will know I am renting and tag along, they go round and round...Lots of times the starter or tree operater will help you and tell you what you did right or wrong, they have seen it all. And besides that,he is bored to death waiting for me to make a pass, so he would be more than happy to teach you how to stage the car etc. This way your get more passes down the track in one afternoon then if you went to the track for the entire summer during racing...just my 2 cents.
P.S...let the clutch out when the 2nd yellow light goes out...your get a much better reaction time...don't wait for the green light...if you see green you left way to late. The reaction time has nothing to do with the ET, but it is where 99% of the races are won.
PS Amazon.com has a book - Bracket Racing...its very good.

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the very beginning of the track there will be a dip in the track for a water box. This is only for people with slicks. Since you have street tires with groves in them that will pick up too much water, simply drive around the water box to keep your tires dry.

Do guys do a burnout after they get around the box to warm the tires or not at all?

thanks

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the hardest thing is the launch, my first time at the track I ran a 12.5 @ 117, but my 60' was a bad 2.2. if you get the launch down you will have great times. with a genIII you should be able to shift a little higher in 2nd and 3rd around 5500rpms i would think. make the 3-4 shift as fast as possible and leave the gas pedal to the floor, the 2-3 shift go about 1/2 throttle during the shift, 1-2 you want to take easy or you will spin alot or get wheel hop. but learn the launch and the rest is easy.