Only 199 Miles And In Shop Twice, Help!!!!

VIPERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought my first Viper, Venom Red convetible. the car i have dreamed about for years, wife got it for me for our anniversary. Waited over four months from start of build to delivery. drove it home on my birthday, three days later it wouldnt go past 2500 rpms and would almost choke out and die. had to have it towed on a flatbed back to the dealer. they checked it out ( the have a certified vipertech) and said it was a problem with something that connected to the PCM. took a week to get a part ( only two available in country they said), I called today and they said it was ready. Then an hour later they called me back and said that the tech took it for a test drive and now it was making a 'popping' noise. The regional dodge rep is supposed to be in their dealership tomorrow and they are going to try and have him find out what gives, they have called the factory where the car was built and are not getting answers from them. any ideas as to what is wrong. i hate that i have only had my dream car for 3 days of the last 12 only put 199 miles on it and i feel like i was wrong with this purchase.

HELP!!!!

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very sorry to here that, i would be very disappointed but wouldnt give up

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very sorry to here that, i would be very disappointed but wouldnt give up

Also sorry the hear this but if you are going to have any problems with ANY vehicle best to get past them right in the beginning! Also the parts for the 08's will be a little scares while productions is going on. It's not much help but hang in there!

914-763-3136

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ask for a new car.

That is ridiculous.

Tell the rest of the group where you found your wife. I am sure a lot of us would love to have that given to us as an anniversary present.

Kick Ass!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that ***** and I hope all is well soon with your new car. I have seen several complaints on here about the 08s. Dont let the Corvette guys read this!!

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any ideas as to what is wrong. i hate that i have only had my dream car for 3 days of the last 12 only put 199 miles on it and i feel like i was wrong with this purchase. HELP!!!!

Sorry I can't offer help on what is wrong but I hope dealer, regional rep. and others will address this to your satisfaction and your disappointment will turn around so your wife and you can enjoy your new ride. Once you get this resolved, report back and hope your disappointment will turn to elation as the viper is lots of fun. I have two hibernating and can't wait for weather to improve so we'll be on the road again. :)

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anniversary present and this is what happens........................
I hope the marriage doesn't end up in the toilet...........

anyways good luck

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ahhh, the joys of owning a brand new car!!! New GOOD cars always have bugs in them. Sometimes they sort themselves out and other times it takes a bit to "get it right". New cars come with a warranty for a reason. YOUR Viper is definitely a higher quality than a million unit mass production car so it often does take a little bit to get it right. Even the 'junkers' made usually have to wait for parts, tires, rims, etc. etc.

One of the reasons why I bought a used modded Viper was because I wanted everything working perfect/sorted out when I bought it, I can add whatever's missing from my "perfect car" as I figure out what it's missing. I'm nearly done now.

Hang in there, if you're too far away from Tater's tell your dealership his number in case they have problems figuring out the problem. Being in the VCA gets you a few extra thousand people to help out!

What an anniversary present, wow! Wish my wife dould afford to buy me another Viper. Ah, she'd probably just buy me another cruise.

Ted

superdave019

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your Pain Brother! :mad:

I bought my car and the check engine light would not come off! I called the dealership on the way home and the sales rep said that it's normal (I would love to know what he was smoking :))
. Within 12 hours of owning the car of my dreams it was really running like crap. I went to start it up for my a buddy and it wouldn't idle and the smell of rich gas. The next day I took it to my personal mechanic and he said it was the Map sensor. I installed it myself and all is good for now.

Hanging in there. I hope everything works out for you!

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superdave - Is your Viper an '08? If do, was your Viper going into limp mode (not reving over 2500-2600rpm) with a flashing check engine light?

JKR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sorry to say that my 08 SRT Convert has experienced PCM software problems. At 7 miles and 50 miles. The first time the car experienced the multi cylinder miss fire code, ie engine light flashing, I was told it was due to pushing the accelerator pedal down while car was off, causing it to flood. The dealership replaced the spark plugs, and on the way home at approx. 50 miles on the car, the same flashing engine came, and the car quit running over 2000 rpm. The car had to be towed to the dealership for the second time. I am told there is flash/patch fix for the PCM, yet my car is not running, and I am told PCM's can take 6-8 weeks to get to the dealership. Anyway, I hope Chrysler gets this problem fixed soon and information gets out to the dealers about this issue and individuals don't have to go through what I have had to go through. This is my third Viper and only one I've had issues with. I'm wondering how many others have experienced this PCM software problem.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've beaten mine like a rented mule for over 4,000 miles without a hiccup. I'm sorry to read of your problems, but hang in there, the car is stunning to drive.

OP
OP
V

VIPERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jkm,

I Have Been Told That In The Next Couple Of Days A New Re Flash Will Be Available That Will Allow The Pcm To Work Properly, Apparently A Very Few Of The New O8's Had The Same Problem, They Have Been Working Very Hard To Correct The Problem, My Car Has Been At The Dealer Since March 12 And Hopefully Will Have The Problem Solved Shortly. I Do Know That Srt Has Been Working Very Very Hard To Solve This Problem. I Am Confident That They Will Take Care Of Things And We Will Be Flying Down The Highway Very Soon

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like some new owners can rip some ass again at the tech session at VOI 10!!!!!! Of course his reply will be take it to the dealer.......

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like sun deigo did I slammed mine and I have 1057 miles on itand it runs perfect. I had to buy a new tire (nail) after I hit a corner hard and it went flat and tore up the side wall.
A buddy of mine got a new z06(2007) and hade major problems. A bad click at low speeds, nothing at high speeds. He had it in 4 times and they just changed the oil in the front?? Then he was going down the street about 50mph and someone pulled up to him and said "hey man your top is 1/4 back on the street. the freakin top is glued on. He was driving with the liner only (must have been buzzed). so he took it back and had the top problem and reocurring front turning noise and after only 3 months and 2000 mile got a new vette under the lemon law. That was fl but i believe its a fed thing.best of luck
sailnfl

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...............I Have Been Told That In The Next Couple Of Days A New Re Flash Will Be Available That Will Allow The Pcm To Work Properly, Apparently A Very Few Of The New O8's Had The Same Problem, They Have Been Working Very Hard To Correct The Problem, My Car Has Been At The Dealer Since March 12 And Hopefully Will Have The Problem Solved Shortly. I Do Know That Srt Has Been Working Very Very Hard To Solve This Problem. I Am Confident That They Will Take Care Of Things And We Will Be Flying Down The Highway Very Soon.......

You gave us all the bad news through April 3, hows about the good ?

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The TSB for the reflash has been issued. The PCMs on all the cars that "got out" and all those at CAAP and Prefix have been updated.

All is well with the Viper Nation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave