Spent all day installing a stereo in my Viper!

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, a lot of work!

I gutted the car, well I did not pull the carpet but everything else was pulled.

I installed a Alpine 9887 with Ipod wire, that I cut out the bottom of the ashtray so I can keep it in there when not in use.

A set of DLS ultimate Iridium 3 ways went in, the Viper is perfect for 3 ways as it has a location in the door for the mid and tweet, and the 6.5s between the seats.

I had to make a baffle plate for the 3" in the door out of mdf and covered it in dynamat.
Then the seat speakers are in a lil enclosure but I dynamatted the whole thing to try to up the bass response. will see.

Also ran 12 ga wire for everything. and 4ga for power and ground, which I had to run behind the rear tire to the battery, ughhh.

I am running a Audison vrx400 for the power, and will be mounting it with the 4 crossovers in the tiny trunk. haha.

the old stereo sucked ass it had the factory tweet and woofer on the left side and a crappy pioneer set on the right?*** lol.
and in the seat location it had diamond audio, but they were trashed.

I cant wait to finish it up tomorrow. I will post pics I took along the way!

Man it was dirty behind all the panels!

I was quoted about 320 dollars to install just the deck and 3 ways and run the wires, Not including the power and ground. I said I would do that.

So I thought about it and knew it would end up around 400, so I said F it. I will do it all, save 4 bills.

In about 5.5 hours I gutted the car, ran all the speaker wire to trunk and seat speakers, made the 6.5 down to 3 inch plates. dynamatted them, installed the tweets and mids in doors, installed the new deck and put everything back together except the plastic panel with the rear speaker grills. and the seats are not bolted down. tomorrow I just need to secure amp and crossovers and hook it up.

Viper fit and finish is not good btw LMAO.

This is going to to be audible at really any speed. :headbang:

The vrx400 is way underrated at 250rms per channel, more like 275 per.

So if you ever thought of upgrading, DO IT.

Sound review to come also.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRYME,
Sounds like a great system. I will also be upgrading my stereo next weekend but was convinced I would also Dynamat the floor. Just curious why you didn't do the floor. No question the doors are a must but why not go all the way? Just curious. (Maybe I'm looking for a reason not to tear the carpet out!)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRYME,
Sounds like a great system. I will also be upgrading my stereo next weekend but was convinced I would also Dynamat the floor. Just curious why you didn't do the floor. No question the doors are a must but why not go all the way? Just curious. (Maybe I'm looking for a reason not to tear the carpet out!)

Dynamatting the interior adds 20 to 40 pounds to the car, depending on which you use and how thorough you are.

A lot of people keep their cars on the slimfast plan, and 20 to 40 pounds is just too much.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't hear the stereo in mine very well, except when parked. Don't know that I really would want it otherwise. Glad you enjoyed all that work though. Sounds like an awesome system.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PRYME,

Kind of like Dave said, I did not want to add that much weight! dynamat extreme is very heavy, and for the type of car this is, I dont think a full dynamatted car is worth it.

I dynamatted around the speakers to help and to stop vibration and noise, but keep the weight to a minimum.

I am not going to put the jack and spare back in the trunk, which will more then off-set the weight I added, who has the spare and jack removed btw out of curiosity? its not like the huge tires will fit in the car if you need to take it of lol.

Anyway, here are a few pics, more to come.

You must be registered for see images

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of like Dave said, I did not want to add that much weight! dynamat extreme is very heavy, and for the type of car this is, I dont think a full dynamatted car is worth it.

I dynamatted around the speakers to help and to stop vibration and noise, but keep the weight to a minimum.

I am not going to put the jack and spare back in the trunk, which will more then off-set the weight I added, who has the spare and jack removed btw out of curiosity? its not like the huge tires will fit in the car if you need to take it of lol.

Makes sense. Be careful with the removal of the spare. I believe there could be insurance implications as I think the spare is actually considered a structural component in the vehicle. Other (smarter) owners could give you some more accruate info on the issue.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spare tire IS part of the rear crash structure on an RT, but not on a GTS.

The humungo tire fitment in your trunk issue? RT's originally come with a strap to tie the decklid down when hauling a blown tire.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The sound is amazing, I have not messed with any setting or gains or anything and cruising at 70mph I can drown out the engine (I have a pretty loud exhaust) and wind noise, all you can hear is music, at about 2/3rds of the volume only!!!

The dynamatting the rear really brought out some nice bass, enough to easily vibrate the mirror and shake the seat, not like a sub but some serious bass from 2 6.5's. very punchy.

I cant wait to tweak it a little.

Oh, I went ahead and painted my center counsel and the panels under the steering wheel and glove box, only thing light grey now is the middle of the door panel...for now.

The black looks 100 times better.

PICS to come.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spare tire IS part of the rear crash structure on an RT, but not on a GTS.

The humungo tire fitment in your trunk issue? RT's originally come with a strap to tie the decklid down when hauling a blown tire.

Interesting, I always wondered what that strap was for.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea with dynamatting the box! Never thought of that. Do you have the model number of the DLS system? Are you going to leave the grills on for the front speakers? What about for the two centers?

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great idea with dynamatting the box! Never thought of that. Do you have the model number of the DLS system? Are you going to leave the grills on for the front speakers? What about for the two centers?

Yeah, dynamatting the back of the box really made a difference in the bass, it easily rattles the mirror now. without even full volume.

The grills were left on the 3" set because they fit fine even with the dome.
the rear ones there is no grill on them.

They set is called the ultimate iridium 6.3...here is a write up about them....
DLS IRIDIUM 6.3