Audi R8 vs. Viper

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome read! I quoted the last part. It's the best part :2tu:

Which brings me to the beginning of this story. I knew the Viper could make 140 down the back straight, but after just three laps I found myself knocking on 142, then 143, then 144. What was possible? Was a 1:45 lap out there for the taking? The lunchtime had come and gone, and the track pulsed with traffic. There was no clear lap to be had. Still the Viper pressed on, casually dispatching everything in its path. Corvettes? No problem. A Porsche GT3 made an attempt to stay ahead; I swatted him emotionlessly with the throttle, sucking him into the Viper’s cruciform intake and leaving him bobbing in the wake of my passage. Faster and faster we went, the Viper now whispering to me instead of screaming, the information coming through my hands and feet clearer and clearer, showing me the way to go, until I looked down on the entrance to Turn Six and the speedometer showed me a proud sliver of space above the one hundred and forty-five mile-per-hour mark. I tapped the brake lightly as we went in – as lightly as I could, knowing that I needed to shed nearly fifty mph by the clipping point – and the world went sideways.

I thought. I thought about being home. I thought about the talk I would have with the wonderful people at Dodge who had entrusted us with this car despite the tendency of The Press As A Whole to send press-fleet Vipers into bridge abutments and oncoming traffic. I thought about surviving the impact. MSR has plenty of runoff, but I didn’t know if it had enough runoff for this one. I thought about pride. It’s a killer, that pride, and nothing instills it quicker or in more deadly fashion than being at the wheel of a car which appears able to bend time and space with a single squeeze of the throttle. I knew the mistake I had made – I’d trail-braked too deeply, with too much steering applied, at speeds beyond what I’d seen in the corner before. Such a simple error! This is what I thought. A simple error.
While I thought, my body was doing something else. In fact, it was doing just what it’s done hundreds of times before on-track in situations like this; easing off the brake, catching the oscillations, lightly pedaling the accelerator to remove the profound engine-braking effect of eight point four liters of Viper V-10.

And while I thought, and watched, the car did just what it was supposed to do. It went straight. Before I could blink again – before another sixty feet could pass – we were accelerating out of Turn Six down towards Diamond’s Edge. And in that moment, I thought about a six-hundred-horsepower supercar that could be tossed, and caught, at one hundred and forty-five miles per hour as reliably as a Camaro-Mustang-Challenge race car could be at ninety, and I fell in love. Before I reached the carousel, I was hooked, any pretense of impartiality tossed to the winds. I’d placed my life in the Viper’s hands, and it had returned my life to me, and the timer flashed 1:47.1 as I blitzed the start-finish line and waved to the folks in the pit crew. It was time to bring it in, time to hand it over to Mr. Roboto for the real fast laps, time to say goodbye.

I didn’t hurry back in.

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GREAT article! Im heading to Eagles Canyon this weekend and am more excited now than I was! - hope it doesnt rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Performance Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome....and the writer is so fantastic that your literally glued to the story....and it's exactly how one feels when driving beasts like these.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice quote

The infamous Viper V-10 has been making headlines, scaring passengers, and offending decent people on the street for seventeen years now, but with this new 8.4 liter, variable-valve-timing variant, it finally reaches the status of Greatest Street Car Engine In The World.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic write up! And that was the "normal" Viper. Imagine what ACR would have done on that track!

I have had my Viper for a year and a half. I still pinch myself everytime I step foot in my garage and gaze at her. This is one unbelievable incredible machine!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Poor vettes, Porsches, Ferraris and Audi R8's. The Viper is so far superior now that they can't compete, except against each other. They'll have to go back to the drawing board and build ALL new cars if they want to play in modified or stock 08 Viper class. Lol.

Wonder if it was the vettes or Porsches they thought the R8 would be able to beat? Obviously this article clears up the standings about R8 and Vipers. A few guys here and on the alley actually had thoughts that an R8 was competition for the Viper. Since even with all the electronic crap (that some think improves driving) turned off the R8 can't even make a G on a flat corner!!! I think even the vette will kill the R8.

About time someone actually stated the obvious.

Ted

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to point out something else. While everybody talks about horsepower and things like that people forget that many car got "smaller" inside. People never talk about comfort. I am 6'6'' and just can't fit in all car. While the GEN2 Viper was "spacious" the GEN3 got smaller due to safety regulations requiring more padding in the car. I would say that Vipers were the most comfortable cars so far for me.

R8 was designed such a way that can fit a big guy easily ... This is a serious competitor on the US market. Not beaucause of the HP or handling level but because many fat guy just can't fit in modern sport cars. The R8 offers them something new :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The R12 should be cool when it comes out.

I like how they show the Viper/vert with the top down but, it looks better with the top up. IMO

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice read. I'm surprised he had problems missing 3rd gear. This linkage is vastly superior to the 03-06. Still tall, but precise. I just installed my old MGW knob, and the feel is great.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fine read - thanks for the link!

R12? You mean the diesel?

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want an 08 PERIOD

In the Viper, there’s no safety net, no limits. We’ll never know what the Viper is truly capable of, because it would take a perfect driver to get that time. The Viper gives you as much as you put into it. All the talent, all the effort, all the courage you possess – the Viper takes it and delivers results beyond your expectations, but it never tricks you into thinking you’ve seen all it has to offer. You could drive the Viper around MSR for every one of those thirty weekends a year, for the rest of your life, and you would never find the very last hundredth of a second. Other supercars represent accomplishment, in the fiscal, engineering, or marketing sense. The Viper represents challenge. You might get tired of being stared at every time you fill up, you might grow weary of hearing people talking about your mid-life crisis, you might even come to dislike the smell of hot fiberglass which greets you at the end of every session – but you will never, ever, grow weary of driving this car as it was meant to be driven. And for that reason, it wins the on-track portion of this shootout.

What. Yeah:2tu:
car is unreal

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great read. No surprise in the outcome. This guy should write for all the mags. Very discriptive story telling. A joy to read. BTW the Roboto guy sounds like a Stig ripoff.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic write up! And that was the "normal" Viper. Imagine what ACR would have done on that track!

I have had my Viper for a year and a half. I still pinch myself everytime I step foot in my garage and gaze at her. This is one unbelievable incredible machine!

I know what you mean. I have a 2001 Sapphire GTS and sometimes I get a glass of wine and just sit on the step leading out to the garage smiling ear to ear. And that is after 6 years of Viper ownership. I'd love an 08 ACR but can't swing it AND keep my 01.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the R8 had a list price of $109K, but since they had a very limited run, they go for about twice what it would take to get an '08 Viper…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62