I have a 03 that needs a new trans, will any year trans fit?

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 03 srt needs a new trans, I'm wondering if the trans is the same for gen 2 as gen 3. anyone know if I will come into any problems if i put a gen 2 trans into my gen 3?

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know the answer, but investigating the 2008 has got to be worth the effort.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen 2 and gen 3 trans have the same insides, but the 'butt' end of the case are not the same, and so its not a direct bolt in. Work would need to be done. Also keep in mind gen 3 tranns are a bit stronger with their 1 piece shaft for 5th and 6th.

Have you called Jon B, Dan Lesser (VSP) or any of the other well respected vendors for a price on a gen 3 tran? Also what about getting yours rebuilt? If only you had a heated garage and a lift, I'd yank it out for free, and you could get it sent off for repair.

Jon

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen-2 and Gen-3 Transmissions are completely interchangeable, save the Speedo Sensor not in a Gen-3 that would have to be added. HOWEVER, a Gen-2 trans is WEAKER than a Gen-3 trans internally. Gen-2's use a 2-peice countershaft with a 5/6/R weakness, where Gen-3's use a 1-peice countershaft without the issue.

That said, go with a Gen-3 Trans.

It is certainly worth looking into a gen-4 (2008) trans, though this will require a little screwing around and a new Driveshaft. I am also not 100% positive about the spline compatibility of the input shaft, you may need to change to the 2008 Clutch and Flywheel as well.

PS- 2300.00 is a little high for a Used Gen-3 IMHO, considering you can get a 2008 trans from the same guy for 700 more, or G-Force variation for a little more than that. The T-56 is not a rare nor super-expensive trans by any means.

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I called another local dealer to see if my car is under warrenty and they said YES !!! The first local dealer I called said no it wasn't under warrenty and then quoted me 4200,00 for a new trans. So I've been looking into used used trans's and posibally getting mine rebuilt.

Anyways, I've got my car at the dealer that says that it is under the 7/70K warrenty. I just heard today that there is something internally wrong with my trans and that they ordered a "bunch of parts" to fix it. I thought I read somewhere that they only replace the trans and don't fix it at a dealership. :dunno: Any input would be appreciated.

P.S. thanks again for EVERYTHING Jon ! You've been a great help :headbang:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is at all possible, ask the rebuilder about putting shorter 5th and 6th ratios in. I love my .80 and .64 ratios in my Gen II. Cost me an extra $1k when I had to have my tranny rebuilt due to shearing some teeth of the input shaft (inside the tranny).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper