Whats the difference between the regular GTS and the ACR???

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried searching for a past thread about it but couldn't find anything. Can someone explain whats different with the ACR? Thanks.

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more hp, lighter wheels, lighter in general, and some might not have a/c or a radio (rare but some didnt)

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried searching for a past thread about it but couldn't find anything. Can someone explain whats different with the ACR? Thanks.

ACR stands for American Club Racer. The car has 10 more hp than a regular GTS. The car also had BBS wheels(not Chrome) 5 point harnesses, and I believe adjustable shocks. They didn't come with fog lights but you could of ordered them. You could also order the car with out A/C and radio delete.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I missed something or was incorrect with any of this info:D

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the fog lights were deleted along with the air conditioning and radio. My ACR along with others i've seen has fog lights. I am not the first owner, so I don't know if the first owner paid to have them reinstalled or if the factory left them in along with the radio and air conditioning in the "reinstall package". I would bet that they just assembled them with every thing on the car when the reinstall charge was on the build sheet.I know when the fogs arn't there there is a black block off plate bolted in where the fogs would have been bolted in. The owner could romove it and add ducting for the front brakes if they desired. ACR Vipers also have heavier springs and lighter adjustable racing shocks which were meant for the track and don't live as long as street shocks on normal Vipers. The racing shocks are rebuildable.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is also a change with the thing that holds the oils filter. I forget if it is better oil cooling or better flow via a bypass. Something like that. :dunno:

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what did they do to add the extra horsepower? Would it make a good weekend car or would you guys recommend the regular GTS? I found an early 2000s ACR for a good price, I think. (Under 10k miles and a little under 40k). I would most likely never take it on the track and would want to change the seatbelts back to normal.

Is it true that they are demanding more money then the originals?

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought mine the ACRs were (and still are I believe)commanding a premium.
You can pop the 5 point harness out in 2 mins and then you have the regular belts. The extra HP provided by the smooth tubes is something most guys do to their GTS anyway. Its a wild and scary :D car either way. I had lots of views for and against the ACR provided to me and I have no regrets. Most were positive but some guys were negative on the ride of the ACR. I've been in both and I couldn't tell the difference; either are a little harsh in comparison to the family sedan. Its always nice to have the best of the best and the ACR is the best of Dodge's best.

If it checks out, is the color etc. you want; buy it.You'll love it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the build date of the car. What color, etc., I can help you with specifics if you provide the info.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FACTS on the ACR:

- NO foglights (not covers over foglights, and if your car has 'em, they were added by a previous owner).
- NO A/C or radio (though *most* ACR's have the comfort-package that adds these items back in)
- Factory 5-point harnesses in addition to the standard DOT regulation 3-point seat-belt.
- BBS wheels
- Koni or DS (depending on year) adjustable suspension.
- Smooth intake tubes and K&N air filters (here's your 10 HP)
- Non-bypass oil-filter adapter (i.e. does not shut off oil flow through the cooler at low speeds, which the GTS does to increase low-speed air-conditioner efficiency)
- ACR Badging

The ACR package was a $10K option

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FACTS on the ACR:

- Non-bypass oil-filter adapter (i.e. does not shut off oil flow through the cooler at low speeds, which the GTS does to increase low-speed air-conditioner efficiency)

I live in Houston so is this going to make the car really hot just cruising around town?

The color combo would be my third favorite. (Red/White, 2002). So from what you guys have said there really isn't going to be that much of a difference because this ACR has A/C and radio. The only difference is going to be the shocks that will be a little harder of a ride and a few other little things, right?

Now my only question is when I go look at the car, do you guys take the car to a dodge dealer or find a local shop for someone to check it out? The problem is that it is just outside of Houston so I don't think I will be able to find a local shop that is used to dealing with a viper. What do you guys recommend?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Houston so is this going to make the car really hot just cruising around town?

The color combo would be my third favorite. (Red/White, 2002). So from what you guys have said there really isn't going to be that much of a difference because this ACR has A/C and radio. The only difference is going to be the shocks that will be a little harder of a ride and a few other little things, right?

Now my only question is when I go look at the car, do you guys take the car to a dodge dealer or find a local shop for someone to check it out? The problem is that it is just outside of Houston so I don't think I will be able to find a local shop that is used to dealing with a viper. What do you guys recommend?

My car's AC does just fine in the summer, so I wouldn't worry about that. The 2002 has the DS suspension, and the rear springs are 1100 lb springs vs. the GTS's 700 lb springs ( I believe that's the correct number). They are, in a word....STIFF. Some here will say they are unsafe for street use.

I have a "Viper buyers checklist" that I put together when I was shopping. It's pretty comprehensive, but if you have the time and the inclination, take it to a Dodge dealer with a Viper tech on staff or at the very least, contact the local VCA chapter and find a Viper owner who can go look over the car with you.

The Houston chapter's President is Jim Boeker (email is jlb252 AT aol.com).

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the dampers....make sure they are not leaking.:nono:They can get expensive to rebuild and you have to ship them to CANADA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper