Excited yet Irritated

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’ll probably get my Title in the mail either sometime today or by tomorrow for my new Viper I just bought from Detroit! :2tu: :drive:

However, I just found out that here in MA, if you have an older car with one plate on the rear bumper that’s fine, but when registering a new car they give you 2 plates. I’m not sure if this is a huge deal to anyone else; but I refuse to ruin my car by putting a license plate on the front bumper. Even if I decide to give in and do it; the car I’m getting has a custom license plate on the rear. I'd either have to buy 2 new frames or I’d have to track down where to buy that one I already have on the rear so I didn’t have 2 different license plate frames on my car, I just think that would look cheap! :crazy2:

I was told originally I wouldn’t have to have one; but my sister just bought an 04 Lincoln Aviator and got 2 plates put on her SUV. On the other hand, this morning as I was driving to work I counted up at least 40 cars that only had a rear license plate without one on the front. Does anyone know if I decide to risk not having one; if you tend to get pulled over a lot for not having a plate on the front of you car? Also, how much is the fine? I’m seeing a decent amount of cars without any plate on the front bumper of their car so I’m thinking it shouldn’t be a problem really.

Come to think of it; I’ve actually never seen any pics or a Viper in person that had an actual license plate on it’s front bumper. Has anyone else? I’m sure it looks awful. :omg:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are supposed to have them in Missouri. I don't run one on the front and have not been stopped for it.

If I do get stopped I'll just tell them that the car is not made with a place to put it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, here in NY we are 'required' to have a front license plate as well. And, yes, some of the VCA Members DO have front plates...we do not. Like you, we don't want to 'deface' the front fascia of the Viper, so we just keep the extra plate WITH us...JonB/PartsRack sells a 'temporary' plate holder if you absolutely HAVE to put one on the front, it can be taken on and off. Yes, we risk being pulled over for having NO front plate...we'd show that we have it WITH us though (it's under the floor mat, passenger side). We also have a custom rear plate, we were given 2 of them. ~juli

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>> And check out the Vipers in Europe. They have humungo front plates<<<

NOT ALL! :D There is a little "resistance" here ...:D

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend told me this...

It depends on the color of the plate. If its red u need 2, if its green u need one. All plates in mass used to be green; so if you still have an old plate thats green then you can just have one on the rear. However, if u get "new plates" your gonna have to get a red one and you will have to get 2, one on the front and one on the back.

The viper doesn't have a front plate hookup; but you can buy a special bracket for the car so u can have a front plate, however it looks stupid. So he decided to only have one on the rear of the car and keeps the front plate in his trunk so if he gets pulled over I guess he can just say "this is a viper it has no front plate hook up look for your self" and then tell them he actually does have the plate in the trunk.

I'm assuming that's the best excuse I can use.. haha ;)

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't put a plate on the front, pay the ticket if you get one and don't worry about it.

Last edited:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Don't put a plate on the front, pay the ticket if you get one and don't worry about about<<<

:headbang:

BTW, have been stopped by the cops in different countries here several times and NEVER got a ticket for not having a front license plate - and it is MANDATORY here!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BC requires front and rear plates. They just bought some special scanners that scan all the plates in front of the cop and check for wants, warrants, stolen car reports, etc.

Alberta doesn't require a front plate.

I don't run a front plate and although I haven't been ticketed yet, I got a ticket for no front plate on my Stealth a month ago. Roadblocks is where you'll get a ticket.

Ted

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mandatory here also but I refuse to run one because they look like crap IMHO. Got a ticket for no plate last month. It was $97.00. I work in County Government and know the DA pretty well so he dismissed it.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they make a plate that makes my car faster I'll mount that sucker, other than when a :pigsfly:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this frame you are referring to?

You must be registered for see images

******And yes.... I know.....
He has this adapter that's hooked on to the end of his exhaust that I don't like at all so I'll be taking that off immediately once I get the car.

So yea..This was on my car
but the seller bought that rear cover plate(frame) at a Viper Event and decided to keep it as his last memory of the car. I never knew that until today lol.. so I ordered this while I was at work: Viper License Plate Frame - Triple Chrome License Plate Frame - Blue

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't put a plate on the front, pay the ticket if you get one and don't worry about it.

+1 and VERY well said. Man are those ugly.

>>>Don't put a plate on the front, pay the ticket if you get one and don't worry about about<<<

:headbang:

BTW, have been stopped by the cops in different countries here several times and NEVER got a ticket for not having a front license plate - and it is MANDATORY here!

I plan on it if I have too..... but it's not just one ticket lol- it could be numerous tickets.. if I meet up with a cop who want's to be stupid about it he could give me 2 tickets in 2 days... that would ****....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, we sell the snap-on rubber bracket, that will help you pass the "attitude test" if you have it available. Be sure to run it a while, and smash a couple BUGS on the plate. Tell the cop you 'took it off to wash the car" and then when the cop sees it, with smashed bugs, he knows you're not a scofflaw.

Alternative: I have stuck my (mandatory) front plate inside the windshield for YEARS. Between the dash and glass. A personalized plate (POIZNUS, PACECAR, VENOMUS) is one I dont mind displaying. Its clearly visible, front-facing, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket. But I have been stopped 3-4 times with "no front plate' as the P.C. when they each admitted they simply wanted to 'check out the Viper."

ATTITUDE MATTERS. Crappitude gets tickets....

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, we sell the snap-on rubber bracket, that will help you pass the "attitude test" if you have it available. Be sure to run it a while, and smash a couple BUGS on the plate. Tell the cop you 'took it off to wash the car" and then when the cop sees it, with smashed bugs, he knows you're not a scofflaw.

Alternative: I have stuck my (mandatory) front plate inside the windshield for YEARS. Between the dash and glass. A personalized plate (POIZNUS, PACECAR, VENOMUS) is one I dont mind displaying. Its clearly visible, front-facing, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket. But I have been stopped 3-4 times with "no front plate' as the P.C. when they each admitted they simply wanted to 'check out the Viper."

ATTITUDE MATTERS. Crappitude gets tickets....

Yea you are right; attitude is everything...

My buddy and I might be considering one of those snap on rubber brackets for our cars to keep as a backup; are you running any discounts anytime soon? ;) haha

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha never mind....

I gave in and bought one of those snap on rubber brackets from your site!

Hopefully I never have to use it... at least, I don't plan on putting it on my car until I get my first fine.. I'm a Rebel :2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THAT was a close call....costanzo asks for a discount on the couple buck license plate bracket. Which Jon probably sells below cost as a favor. I had my radar up waiting for the next Tusanami to burst across the site while watching Costanzo sink beneath the waves of JonB's wrath. Glad to see you came to your senses Costanzo. It would have been a very rude awakening. And on a Thursday too.
You DO know about the Monday rule? If not PM me.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THAT was a close call....costanzo asks for a discount on the couple buck license plate bracket. Which Jon probably sells below cost as a favor. I had my radar up waiting for the next Tusanami to burst across the site while watching Costanzo sink beneath the waves of JonB's wrath. Glad to see you came to your senses Costanzo. It would have been a very rude awakening. And on a Thursday too.
You DO know about the Monday rule? If not PM me.

My Friend was the one who actually told me to ask about a discount because he wanted one too after I told him about it.. but I figured I'd buy it tonight regardless in case I ever need it since I get my plates tomorrow...

and no.. I do not know of the Monday rule?

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front license plate on a Viper ?
You might as well put mud flaps on while your at it
When the cop talked to me about the missing front plate all I heard was blah blah blah
have a nice day!!!!!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front license plate on a Viper ?
You might as well put mud flaps on while your at it
When the cop talked to me about the missing front plate all I heard was blah blah blah
have a nice day!!!!!

Yea I kno- I agree with you..

We have some police officers where I live who aren't very nice but some are. Although one of my best friend's fathers is captain of the police in Haverhill where I live and is a good friend of the family. However, I don't think he could get me off of every fine I get. I think it also helps that 3 of my friends I graduated from highschool with are also police officers in other local cities as well :)

Anyways, just in case I figure I can keep it in my car and as an excuse just show the officer that I have the mount with the plate and just say it keeps falling off since the Viper is not designed to have a front mounted plate as you can see from looking at it. I heard if you have green plates from like 15 years ago you only need that one on the back of the car but if you have red plates you need 2. On my jetta I only have one old green plate and havent got stopped and my mom has one red plate on her bmw for the past 5 years and never got stopped so I'm not too worried. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens! :2tu:

Last edited:

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am required to have a front plate in RI. it had to be on to pass inspection. i put it on with zip ties and clipped them off the moment i got home. if i get a ticket, i will pay it. you would really have to have a ***** of a cop to ticket you for that. but, you live in mass so you have a lot of troopers like that.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am required to have a front plate in RI. it had to be on to pass inspection. i put it on with zip ties and clipped them off the moment i got home. if i get a ticket, i will pay it. you would really have to have a ***** of a cop to ticket you for that. but, you live in mass so you have a lot of troopers like that.

I've lived in Providence, RI for the past 5 years. i still have a lease on a house there so I was considering going there to get my car registered in hopes of only having one plate; but forget that now since you just told me you need 2 plates in RI haha. I lived there for awhile and never realized if you needed one or two- guess I never paid attention to that until now. I forget if NH has one or two plates; I live 5 minutes away if I can only prove I live there hah, but that's too much work and I'm already getting my plates today so whatever..

I also plan on putting the plate on to get inspected and taking it off immediately afterwards; although I heard I might not need it at the place I'm going too since my mom only has one plate on hers and she took it to the same place I plan on taking my Viper too. ;)

Last edited:

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have not had an inspection sticker on my bmw since 2000 and i have not been hit yet. bring the plate and zip ties with you to the inspection just in case so you dont have to go back. they are also getting smarter in RI. when i got the plates for the viper, they sent me a letter that told me i had 5 days to get it inspected or they would cxl my registration. looks like they linked up the computers at the dmv. doh!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have not had an inspection sticker on my bmw since 2000 and i have not been hit yet. bring the plate and zip ties with you to the inspection just in case so you dont have to go back. they are also getting smarter in RI. when i got the plates for the viper, they sent me a letter that told me i had 5 days to get it inspected or they would cxl my registration. looks like they linked up the computers at the dmv. doh!

haha yea- depending on how long it takes to get this rubber bracket shipped to me that I just bought from Jon B i could use that to get my car inspected; otherwise I will take your idea. Thanks for the heads up!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, here in NY we are 'required' to have a front license plate as well. And, yes, some of the VCA Members DO have front plates...we do not. Like you, we don't want to 'deface' the front fascia of the Viper, so we just keep the extra plate WITH us...JonB/PartsRack sells a 'temporary' plate holder if you absolutely HAVE to put one on the front, it can be taken on and off. Yes, we risk being pulled over for having NO front plate...we'd show that we have it WITH us though (it's under the floor mat, passenger side). We also have a custom rear plate, we were given 2 of them. ~juli

I have the above plate holder and it leaves no marks on your viper. When stopped I tell the cop I washed the viper in a car wash earlier and forgot to replace the front plate. they have always let me go.

http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1385&cat=&page=1

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need a front license plate for inspection here in NYS...therefore, the plate stays OFF. We are rebels too, Costanzo~~~LOL! We bring the front plate with us in the car, in case we're ever questioned...we can say we have it, just haven't gotten around to DRILLING THE HOLES for it...lol...yeah, see how far THAT gets us with leniency~~~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Create a diversion. Just start throwing empties out the window if you see blue lights behind you.

LOL--like the 'drunken riding mower guy'??? THAT video was a riot...the guy was throwing cans off the riding mower riding down the road with it...LOL....juli

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R