New Guy Needs Some Advice

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, i would love to get some advice from some knowledgeable forum members before i go and make a very big mistake. I will make a long story short and just give a little background on my situation. Im am 24 years old and i have been into Corvettes forever. In August i bought a 2002 z06 with 12,000 miles and owned the car for 13 days until it was wrecked by a "friend" who was testing it out. I just received a settlement from the insurance company this week and i was about to buy the same exact car i had until i saw a 99 rt 10 for sale for exactly the same price as i was going to spend on a z06. After talking to the owner i learned that it was in an accident 4 years ago causing about 30,000 worth of damage. The owner said it was only cosmetic and the only reason the repair was so high was because the hood alone costs 18,000 plus they painted the whole car and labor. Is this possible or do you think there was more damage (i.e. structural, suspension) that i should worry about. Also, i dont want to get stuck with a car that i can never sell because the carfax reads 30,000 worth of damage at one point. Here is the info on the car.
99 rt10
43,000 miles
silver exterior
cognac interior
list 32,000 but he said i can take it for 29,000 or 30,000

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to pass on that, IMHO.

Seller should be able to provide you before repair pictures and invoice from body shop if that gives you any peace of mind knowing you are buying a car that has had $30,000 in body work.

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it probably has a "salvage" title due to the extensive repair! That by itself is why the value is so low... and also will forever limit your ability to sell the car at a reasonable price. Yes, the hoods are THAT expensive from the factory (i heard $15K actually). I would HIGHLY recommend that you insist on driving the car, and taking it to a qualified Viper mechanic to have it inspected. If there are no suprises, the repairs done right, and you're ok with a "salvage" title, then pull the trigger and buy it. It will be MUCH more fun than your previous vette and get much more attention too! Good luck!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW.... I dont want anybody to get the wrong idea, I have a good job and i have worked very hard to be able to purchase a recreational vehicle like a corvette or a viper. I live on my own and i have been saving for a long time. I didnt want anyone to think it was a purchase using someone elses money. Thanks and hopefully i get some good advice.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks dream on and s daddy. Its not a salvage title although i havnt seen the carfax yet. I did ask him for the pictures of the accident and he said he didnt have any. Im going to look at/drive the car this weekend. You are right, corvettes are a dime a dozen but everybody stares when a viper rolls by. What do you think a fair market value would be on that car if it never got in the accident?

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, too big of an investment on this type of car when you can get other Vipers that were never wrecked for not much more :money:.

Carfax isn't perfect, and with no pics (who wouldn't take some of their wrecked Viper before repairs?!), you could always find out where the work was done and talk to them. The Shop may have taken pictures of the repair process to add to their portfolio.

Also, some insurance companies won't even insure a salvage titled vehicle. :(

Finally, even if it has a good title now, some states allow you to convert a salvage title to a good title once inspected and passed. :omg:

It's a gamble. And don't forget about gremlins popping up down the road... :crazy2:

I recommend you see if someone on this site has one they're looking to sell because the VCA rocks! :2tu:

GOOD LUCK! :drive:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get it checked out by a viper mechanic or equivalent. The inspection must be conducted on a lift to inspect the frame,suspension,coresupport,ect.

Without the accident I’d say its worth 38-45K

If the damage is only cosmetic and was repaired and repainted properly then under 30 is a good price if your looking for a driver (aka not a collectible garage queen)

again, get it inspected by someone qualified!!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, too big of an investment on this type of car when you can get other Vipers that were never wrecked for not much more :money:.

He is prob not looking for the car as an investment.

but ok, show the kid another 99 in good condition for not much more then 29...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are in luck as you are in Tator territory!

Give Chuck Tator (Tator's Dodge) a call 914 763.3136. He can check the vin number and see what's up.

You can thank me later. ;)

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. I am definately looking for a driver, not a garage queen. I dont mind having a car that has been repaired properly as long as it doesnt have a salvage title. The only problem i forsee is trying to sell it if i decide to buy a house in a year or two. I should also add that when i started looking for a vette last year i was in the $20,000 to $22,000 range. I then streched my limit to $27,000 to buy the z06 and now i am going to be streching it a little more to possibly $30,000. I dont know how much more i can stretch it eventhough you guys are saying i can get a non accident for a few bucks more. If i can find a clean, no accident viper in my range i will definately be interested.

If you ask me anything about any year corvette i could tell you in a heart beat but when it comes to vipers im still learning. I would like to apologize in advance for any stupid questions i am about to ask.

What year did they start putting roll down windows instead of those clip in ones? I dont have my heart set on a 99, im open to any year as long as it has the roll down windows.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at that price, it looks like they are trying HARD to get rid of it - i may be wrong. look, there are alot of vipers for sale out there that dont come with "questions". PASS.

and never forget, you get what you pay for. especially with a viper.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With $30K in damage, I don't see how it could NOT have a salvage/rebuilt title, or have had one at some point. With the relatively high miles, you could find one without the negative history for a few thousand more.

I sold my modded '02 Z06 to get into my '98 RT/10 w/11K miles for just under $40K, BTW. Respectfully, if your budget is around the $30K area, stick with getting another C5 Z06, as there is no better car for that price.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said he bought the car four and a half years ago from a local dealer. The accident happened after about a year of ownership. He said he slid off an entrance ramp and slid through some brush scrtaching the paint on the whole car and cracking the hood. He gave me the name of the shop that did the work but i cant find a number for them.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With $30K in damage, I don't see how it could NOT have a salvage/rebuilt title, or have had one at some point.
i believe to have a salvage title a car has to be totaled by the insurance company usually meaning the damage is more than around 75%of the value.

With the relatively high miles, you could find one without the negative history for a few thousand more.
a few thousand more would put him from 29 to say 33K. show us one...

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with him and i got more information about the accident. The reason the price was so high on the repair was because they replaced the hard top too because it was damaged before the accident from him dropping it. He said he got lucky that they were able to pretend that it was part of they accident.
He said they had to replace the hood at a cost of 18,000 and the roof at a cost of 5,000 plus paint and any other body work.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe to have a salvage title a car has to be totaled by the insurance company usually meaning the damage is more than around 75%of the value.

a few thousand more would put him from 29 to say 33K. show us one...

Hmmm... OK, so if it had $30K worth of damage, and the car would not book for $40K with those miles, that means it would have been salvaged, right??

He said the guy was asking $32K initially.
Here's a '99 RT/10 with 12K miles for $37K
1999 Dodge Viper Base For Sale in Alamo, California – Buy This Used Car Today

Another '99 w/24K mi. and new tires - $37K or BO
1999 Dodge Viper RT/10 Silver Hard/Soft Tops WARRANTY LOW MILES

These are cars with HALF the mileage. Obviously one with MANY more miles would go for thousands less.

All I'm saying, like many here, is that if the car checks out and he doesn't care if he can ever dump the car easily, then, sure, $29K would be a great price for a GEN2. But with plenty of "no stories" cars around for nice prices, why not get one without a questionable history?

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You are buying the car cheep so you can sell it cheep down the road. I have had many salvage and never damaged Vipers and you can't tell the difference if done right. Take the car to chuck and have it checked out. If all checks out buy and enjoy. If not then there will be another. You will have twice the fun as the Vette.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30k is not that unbelievable for body damage. 1 year after purchase means insurance company would pay the 30 k to fix it before they would pay the 60-70k to total it.

they replaced the hard top too because it was damaged before the accident from him dropping it. He said he got lucky that they were able to pretend that it was part of they accident.
Now that would bother me. Shows the guy is dishonest and willing to lie about damage.

Get the car inspected by a trained tech. for sure. Or take the advice here and pass on that one.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys sound like you know what you are talking about. I appreciate the good advice. I think i will have to wait and see what else comes around. I also have to consider not buying any toy and looking towards the real estate market. With all the forclosures now it would be awiser decision to take the 25,000 to 30,000 that i have and save some more and put it down on a house. I have a big decision to make at 24 years old. My heart says sports car but my brain says house. I have no problem buying a toy now and saving for another year, that way i will have more to put down on a house. P.S. im not wasting money on rent because i get a free apartment with my job.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The deal sounds OK. Tator's Dodge is about the best place to get it inspected, if possible.

The car would be worth about $38,000 with that many miles on it. Vipers don't have cheap paint and it's normal to repaint the entire car instead of part of it. Yes, the hood is worth $18,000 plus. Here in Canada, it's $28,000. The bumper cpver is worth $5-7,000 and headlights are worth over $500 each.

'99 is a great choice since it has forged pistons and the most popular years are 97-99.

Ted

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't stretch yourself out. If something comes up and needs repairs, you will end up having a $30k lump sitting in your garage.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im going to call Tators dodge today as advised. I want to see what they have to say. I think you guys might be right for the most part but i really dont want to walk from this unless there is conclusive evidence as to why i shouldnt buy. thanks and ill let you know how Tators goes.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is no salvage title and tator gives his approval of the repairs then i'd say you got a pretty good deal on that car. :)

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are buying the car cheep so you can sell it cheep down the road. I have had many salvage and never damaged Vipers and you can't tell the difference if done right. Take the car to chuck and have it checked out. If all checks out buy and enjoy. If not then there will be another. You will have twice the fun as the Vette.

Most logical advise in this thread. You are buying a vehicle with accident or salvage history for cheaper than the same without. You should pay about 30% less than the same car without history. If you buy it cheap, you will sell it cheap and it is a wash.

Nothing wrong with a vehicle if it has salvage history or accident history as long as the repairs are done correctly. I have see vipers in particular involved in accidents and it does not take much to rack up a $30K bill. I have also seen the same vipers not wind up with any salvage or accident history, those are the ones you need to worry about.

Agreed, let Chuck Tator check it out, and if all checks out good then make him an offer on the vehicle.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+2

does this buisness apartment of yours have a garage?
if yes, sweet deal!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth