10w30 or 0w40 synthetic oil for Gen 2?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory specifies 10w30 for Gen 2 but when these cars were built I dont believe 0w40 was even out. The factory fill for newer Vipers and Vettes is 0w40 which I think is great. My question is: Dont you think 0w40 gives a better viscosity and heat range for the Gen 2 also? I would like to ask this question to the Conner plant guys but may take too long for their answer. Your thoughts...

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try e-mailing Royal Purple. I sent them a question on diff and trans fluids. They responded within a couple of hours.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read that auto manufacturers redesigned their engines for tighter clearances and instituted precision machining techniques that take advantage of thinner oil to deliver improved fuel economy through reduced friction. One of the car magazines tested various oils and found that lighter weight oil made more HP, and lighter synthetic oil made even more on top of that, but both lighter weight-ranges made less oil pressure. The synthetic manufacturers argue that the lower pressure is irrelevant due to their products' higher shear strength.

Personally, I wouldn't use "0w" anything on a higher mileage car.
Additionally, since the forged piston GEN2 motors would have higher bore clearances to account for expansion vs the '00-'02's cast pistons who's reduced thermal expansion rate allows the piston to be run with reduced clearance and produce a better ring seal, I wouldn't use "0w" in these (forged) either. Just my thoughts...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An SAE 0W-40 would be better.

The "0W" label only means something at very low temperatures; in this case that the oil allows good engine cranking speeds down to -35C and good oil flow through the oil pickup tube at -40C. It means nothing as far as warmed up temperature operation.

The "40" means it is thicker than a "30" when at the warmed up oil sump temperature. However, there is "fluid friction" and so an SAE 40 will have slightly more drag in the bearings than an SAE 30. What the OEMs have done with better precision manufacturing equipment is to make surfaces more uniform, which lets them make clearances overall tighter, and then allows the use of oils with less fluid friction, like the oil designated for the 5.7L HEMI engine - an SAE 0W-20.

Pressure is not relevant other than indicating the energy needed to place the oil where it is needed. The general "10 psi for every 1000 RPM" comes from having to push the oil against the centrifugal force inside the crank so that it reaches the next crank throw. Once the oil is positioned ahead of a spinning journal, it will get pulled in anyway. The 60 psi out of the pump is not going to make much difference to the 10,000 psi pressure under the journal.

An SAE 0W-40 will therefore allow better starting, better fuel economy when warming up, and slightly poorer fuel economy when fully warmed, but with a thicker oil film - meaning directionally better engine protection.

OEMs did have the choice of an SAE 5W-40 in the past, a viscosity grade favored by the Europeans. Now that SAE 0W-40 is available, it will also be formulated for Euro applications, meaning it will have more additive than typical SAE 10W-30 oils. That alone is worth the switch.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An SAE 0W-40 would be better.

The "0W" label only means something at very low temperatures; in this case that the oil allows good engine cranking speeds down to -35C and good oil flow through the oil pickup tube at -40C. It means nothing as far as warmed up temperature operation.

The "40" means it is thicker than a "30" when at the warmed up oil sump temperature. However, there is "fluid friction" and so an SAE 40 will have slightly more drag in the bearings than an SAE 30. What the OEMs have done with better precision manufacturing equipment is to make surfaces more uniform, which lets them make clearances overall tighter, and then allows the use of oils with less fluid friction, like the oil designated for the 5.7L HEMI engine - an SAE 0W-20.

Pressure is not relevant other than indicating the energy needed to place the oil where it is needed. The general "10 psi for every 1000 RPM" comes from having to push the oil against the centrifugal force inside the crank so that it reaches the next crank throw. Once the oil is positioned ahead of a spinning journal, it will get pulled in anyway. The 60 psi out of the pump is not going to make much difference to the 10,000 psi pressure under the journal.

An SAE 0W-40 will therefore allow better starting, better fuel economy when warming up, and slightly poorer fuel economy when fully warmed, but with a thicker oil film - meaning directionally better engine protection.

OEMs did have the choice of an SAE 5W-40 in the past, a viscosity grade favored by the Europeans. Now that SAE 0W-40 is available, it will also be formulated for Euro applications, meaning it will have more additive than typical SAE 10W-30 oils. That alone is worth the switch.

Tom,

According to my 'sources,' the 0W-30 I use has a very similar additive package to the 5W-40 European oil they offer. One exception being a little more calcium in the 0W-30 for detergent. Both these oils would work well for me -- with a little higher film strength in the 40 weight product.

Steve

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try e-mailing Royal Purple. I sent them a question on diff and trans fluids. They responded within a couple of hours.
Hey Tom and others, I got a reply back from RP and the rep. says he recommends RP xpr 5w30 for the Viper. (sales 101 of course). He thought the oil cooler on the new Vipers might be smaller than the Gen 2 and requires the 0w40???? After looking up the info on RP xpr 5w30, it states its for high performance engines, bracket racing, etc. but good for a daily driver also. Its very expensive at $13.00 a quart. Any thoughts on RP over Mobil 1 and does anyone use this brand and weight?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We always recomend the 0W-40 for all the previous cars, its a more stabil oil all around.

If only it wasnt so hard to find in decent quantity!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative post (as usual), Tom!

With regard to RP, you can typically find it at Pep Boys, or order it online. I used it in my blown Z06 and just put it in my Viper, though I used old school 10w40.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

According to my 'sources,' the 0W-30 I use has a very similar additive package to the 5W-40 European oil they offer. One exception being a little more calcium in the 0W-30 for detergent. Both these oils would work well for me -- with a little higher film strength in the 40 weight product.

Steve

Steve, yes, the selection of the additive package is independent of the viscosity (as I know you know.) Either oil will work fine, I was trying to point out the differences.

"Film strength" is an interesting concept and I see many references to it. However, I don't believe it is part of any standard SAE category or that there is an ASTM test for lubricants to measure it. There is high temperature/high shear viscosity measurement (ASTM D4683, CEC L-36-A-90 (ASTM D4741) or D5481) in which an SAE 30 could possibly have a higher value than an SAE 40...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom and others, I got a reply back from RP and the rep. says he recommends RP xpr 5w30 for the Viper. (sales 101 of course). He thought the oil cooler on the new Vipers might be smaller than the Gen 2 and requires the 0w40???? After looking up the info on RP xpr 5w30, it states its for high performance engines, bracket racing, etc. but good for a daily driver also. Its very expensive at $13.00 a quart. Any thoughts on RP over Mobil 1 and does anyone use this brand and weight?

I catch flak when comparing brands. Read the labels for standard performance levels (API, ACEA, etc) and if there are additional tests, that these are truly engine oil evaluations. For instance, some marketers use Four Ball Wear Tests to differentiate between oils, but the test isn't applicable to engine oils. Others claim to have a higher viscosity within the SAE grade (for instance, SAE 40 oil is between 9.3cSt and 12.5 cSt) but the difference between 10 cSt and 12 cSt is so small it doesn't matter. If it did, SAE would have made the difference a separate viscosity grade. The infamous torque arm tester where a spinning part is rubbed against a stationary part is another circus act, since it evaluates properties not needed in engine oils.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I assume that 0w40 would be better for high mileage Gen 1's as well? Specifically, red cars with yellow wheels w/81k on them and frequently abused by the driver showing off for bikini models?

...I'm asking for a friend :lmao::lmao::lmao:

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey tom,

would the 0w-40 be good for my ney hemi ram...i was going to switch in the next change...right now i'm using mobil one 10w 30 truck and suv!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it would be fine. You might assume the truck/suv formulation has more additive but I expect to meet the European formulation claims requires even more additive than that. I'd still go 0W-40.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still dont understand why yall would want to run a 40wt oil.
Less efficancy&power then a 30 from what i understand.
Is it cleaner? are you looking for a 20K mile change interval or something?

I could see if someone was asking about running a 20wt in a creampuff since it has tighter clearance. My new mazda3 and my friends rsx being newer engins both require 20wt, and i assume if i put 30 in em we'd loose power and mpg

Im lost, someone please explain further the benefit, or non-benifit

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I could see if someone was asking about running a 20wt in a creampuff since it has tighter clearance. My new mazda3 and my friends rsx being newer engins both require 20wt, and i assume if i put 30 in em we'd loose power and mpg

lighter oils provide less oil film strength and high temperature protection. OE's will sacrafice this and run very tight tolerances to get the best mileage possible on some engine platforms, especiallty small displacement engines. Larger high performance engines run larger clearances for a multitude of reasons. Lighter oils have no place in large displacement high performance engines IMHO.

MPG isnt exactly at the top of a Viper owners priority list. Maintaining oil film strength and oil pressure at track temps, resulting in a $10-50,000 engine remaining in one peice... is on the top of that list.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First, it is not a "40wt" oil, it is an SAE 0W-40. Therefore it behaves like a 0W when it is cold and behaves like a 40 when fully warmed up. It is much more fuel efficient (a multigrade) than a single grade.

The pumping effort (HP lost due to the oil pump work) when cold is that of a 0W. When warmed up, the pumping effort of a 30 vs. 40 is minimal. The oil film thickness of an SAE 40 is (naturally) one step up than that of an SAE 30, so there is greater protection at really no loss in power. With either oil the bearings are hydrodynamic and "surfing" on a layer of oil. The only place there might be a HP loss is boundary conditions, where...

You rely on the additives. And of the two oils asked about, the SAE 0W-40 has European oil credentials (meaning it has to have diesel engine performance characteristics) and the SAE 10W-30 probably does not (since it is a US oil viscosity grade.) People don't want to believe this, but as an ex-Ursa formulator (anybody recognize that name?) for Texaco, I can tell you it's the additives that make the big difference between a **-hum and good oil. So yes, it is cleaner, too.

The desire (although they call it a requirement) by the OEMs for lower viscosity oils is mostly driven by fuel economy. The driving cycle of typical US cars does not usually get the oil fully warmed up, so a thicker oil may be a detriment under those circumstances. And the OEMs pay for every tenth of a mile per gallon that they are under the CAFE number. However, even they balance the risk of higher wear against the use of thinner oils, especially if the vehicle is used for towing, etc. The far and away popular grade for diesel trucks is 15W-40 because they start once a day and are at 50%-80% load all day long.

And finally (again) in the 900-ish HP NASCAR and CART race engines that Texaco sponsored, going from 15W-50 to 10W30 or 0W20 was about 12-15 HP at 9000 RPM. It is very speed sensitive, so if you wind your V10 up to only 6000, it might make a 5 HP difference. You aren't going to notice it.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And finally (again) in the 900-ish HP NASCAR and CART race engines that Texaco sponsored, going from 15W-50 to 10W30 or 0W20 was about 12-15 HP at 9000 RPM. It is very speed sensitive, so if you wind your V10 up to only 6000, it might make a 5 HP difference. You aren't going to notice it.

Tom?! 5 HP is everything................................ on a dyno.......................... when you're at 596 and need that extra 5 to break 600.....................

:rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thankyou Vspecialty&Tom for the explanation, just when i thought i knew alot about oil apps you took me back to school. i read your post in the gen3 section and now understand why the 40 switch was made for gen3's considering the different design of the engine related to oil flow/pressure/temp:
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/610238-gen-3-oil-change-tips-5.html

so regarding the Gen2's , we're talking about using 0/40: 0 for the startup efficiency, and 40 for the added protection with slightly less power. but what about how it affects flow/temp/pressure? How would it affect each of these?

Is added protection needed when many have reported clean gen2 oil samples (from analysis) of stock Mobile1/30 at 5000+ miles?

Why not the best of both worlds, mobile1 0w30?
Why does our manual and DC say only 10w30 and not 5w30 OR 10w30 like most other cars?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don’t want someone going buy the logic; Gen3’s run it ,Why can we! Without considering the different designs of the engines.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now with that being said, After settling this we will move on to oil requirements for say a dedicated track car. As its needs are slightly diff from 90some percent of us.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thankyou Vspecialty&Tom for the explanation, just when i thought i knew alot about oil apps you took me back to school. i read your post in the gen3 section and now understand why the 40 switch was made for gen3's considering the different design of the engine related to oil flow/pressure/temp:
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/610238-gen-3-oil-change-tips-5.html

so regarding the Gen2's , we're talking about using 0/40: 0 for the startup efficiency, and 40 for the added protection with slightly less power. but what about how it affects flow/temp/pressure? How would it affect each of these?

Is added protection needed when many have reported clean gen2 oil samples (from analysis) of stock Mobile1/30 at 5000+ miles?

Why not the best of both worlds, mobile1 0w30?
Why does our manual and DC say only 10w30 and not 5w30 OR 10w30 like most other cars?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don’t want someone going buy the logic; Gen3’s run it ,Why can we! Without considering the different designs of the engines.

At low temperatures, an SAE 0W will flow more easily than an SAE 10W.

At higher temperatures, the SAE 0W-40 thins out less than the SAE 10W-30. Yes, all oils are formulated by starting with the "thin" end and using a "viscosity index improver" additive. The additive makes it behave like a thicker oil than it really is. But get your head around this - at the higher temperature that this characteristic is measured (100C) the oil is very runny, vs. slow and thick when really cold. To repeat, the 0W-40 gets thinner slower than the 10W-30.

Oil pressure is a measure of resistance. If you could put your thumb over the outlet of the pump, the pressure would be very high, but with no flow. So I would like to modify Dan's explanation a little and suggest that the 10W-30 would be thinner and leak out the side of bearings thereby not delivering enough lubricant to the next bearing and the next one after that. So fundamentally the volumetric flow rate is the same out of the pump (since it is a constant displacement pump) but more oil is actually delivered to the bearings because less is lost through leakage on the way there. Since oil pressure is measured at the outlet of the pump (I think, I'm a throw-back Gen 1 guy) it will read higher, but that doesn't tell you how much oil got the the last bearing. Because the pressure is higher (or at the relief limit) the oil is under more shear and theoretically be hotter. But I doubt you'll see anything.

Is it needed? If oil analysis says it's fine, then no. You can't argue with success. However, tracking conditions may change the used oil results. And if the quart of 10W30 costs the same as the 0W40, you get extra insurance and no debits with the 0W40.

You could use a 0W-30, too, except for Dan's description of the Gen 3 engine. But you are thinking on the right track.

The Gen 1 engine was introduced in 1992, so designed in 1990? The Gen 2 engine was introduced in 1996, so designed in 1994? You have to look at what oil was available in those years. And having had a little contact with the OEMs back in my oil company days, I know the OEMs have one large "house" oil tank and little desire for the care and permitting process to get another tank for a lesser used oil. Once an engine is qualified with a certain package, all the warranty issues are based how that package performs. So it's convenience and defending against field problems.

A well designed oil system makes a big difference. The typical NASCAR V8 has 930 HP, runs 9600 RPM or so and can easily run 0W-30 or less. The restrictor plate engines were 420 and they couldn't find an oil thin enough (yes, they were looking for 5 HP then.) Cosworth XFE CART/CCWS engines were 850 HP 14,000 engines and used 0W20 all day long. The design target is to deliver the oil, not necessarily pressurize it. If you deliver the oil to the unloaded side of a crank bearing, the rotating crank will pull the under under it and into the loaded side. At the minimum oil film thickness the pressure is thousands of PSI - the oil pump is not going to push oil in against that. The oil pump is simply a way to deliver the oil. The rule of thumb of 10PSI per 1000 RPM came from what Dan was referring to - that at some points inside the crank the oil has to travel against centrifugal force to get to the next crank throw. If the pump couldn't overcome this, the next crank throw ran dry, which frequently happens at high RPM at the back end of the crank. But the pressure on your gauge really has nothing to do with how well the moving parts are lubricate.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I thought I knew a lot about lubes. Tom outclasses me by about 4000%. LOL

Question: For those of us that have 4 seasons and a daily driver, what's the vote on using different weights during a particular season?
Example: 0W-40 in the winter; 10W-30 in the summer.

Benefits?
Drawbacks?
Gen. I only? Gen. II only? Gen. III only? All?

I really appreciate all the oil information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456