Anyone purchased a Gen II recently?

UIUC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this forum for the last year or so and I'm finally serious about adding a Gen II Viper to my stable. I have a Testarossa and while I considered another F-car, I'm just not ready to eat the maintenance costs on 2 Italian cars. The Vette just doesn't turn my head. The Viper has the looks and the performance without the "Ferrari tax" every time it goes into the shop. So here I am on the Viper Forum. I'm looking for a RT/10 97-02 model years and could use some guidance. It seems there is not good place to get a value on these cars. NADA doesn't list them, Kbb is way out of line, and asking prices are just that - asking... If anyone has purchased a RT/10 in the last 6-8 months would you be comfortable sending me a PM regarding the purchase price and condition of car? How happy you've been with the purchase?

I hope to be surfing the new owner threads with a new perspective very soon.

Thanks,

:usa:

Last edited:

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this forum for the last year or so and I'm finally seriuous about adding a Gen II Viper to my stable. I have a Testarossa and while I considered another F-car, I'm just not ready to eat the maintenance costs on 2 Italian cars. The Vette just doesn't turn my head. The Viper has the looks and the performance without the "Ferrari tax" every time it goes into the shop. So here I am on the Viper Forum. I'm looking for a RT/10 97-02 model years and could use some guidance. It seems there is not good place to get a value on these cars. NADA doesn't list them, Kbb is way out of line, and asking prices are just that - asking... If anyone has purchased a RT/10 in the last 6-8 months would you be comfortable sending me a PM regarding the purchase price and condition of car? How happy you've been with the purchase?

I hope to be surfing the new owner threads with a new perspective very soon.

Thanks,

:usa:

So a GTS is not an option?

cudavip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices are the easy part start here Viper buyers guide by Maurice Q. Liang and Dodge Viper by Daniel F. Carney.
Nada and KBB do list em and should only be used as one of many sources a buyer needs to do his/her homework.
When you find something post it and you will get lots of opinions about the price, condition and so forth.
Best of luck to ya.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT10 will sell for less than the GTS coupe sells for in the fall and winter, from what i've seen. This time of the year, the reverse could be true. In the final analysis, get which ever you like best to fit your preference. They each have advantages the other doesn't, but they're both Vipers so you can't go wrong. With proper maintenance a Viper should be good for several hundred thousand miles,which is probably longer than you will keep it. If you want to drive it alot, I wouldn't concern myself with the number of miles on it when you purchase it as long as it has been properly maintained and cared for. Haveing a qualified Viper tech. inspect it before you buy is a must and well worth whatever nominal fee you may have. There are many good deals out there this year, and there are many bad deals. A large percentage of Vipers have been wrecked, so beware. Don't rush it. I looked for the better part of a year, but you could find a gem tommorrow. When you think you've found it have the tech. say grace over it. I'd get a tech. "warming up in the bull pen" now, if you haven't already, so you're good to go when the right one comes along. I'm sure you are already aware of all of this, but it never hurts to repeat it for someone out there who maybe hasn't heard it before. Prices will be all over the board depending in year, color, condition, and miles(from low 30's-high 40's). Good luck.

OP
OP
U

UIUC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone so far - I bought the Buyers Guide. It's been a good refrence as has this site. I already have a TR so the next toy has to be *******...... Disregard the innuendo on that last statement.

Please keep the good advice coming.

Thanks -:usa:

Last edited:

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For someone who has purchased 4 used, gen 2 Vipers...

1. you get what you pay for.
2. do you research
3. the prices of worn out junk and "got to have that one" is widening.
4. just like a Ferrari purchase...have a PPI done by someone who knows what to look for.
5. if you find something you really like...post about here for review.

Good luck!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maintenance? Unlike a vette there isn't much for maintenance. These cars don't break ... but make sure all the recalls were performed if you get a low miles car. Try to buy one that has upgraded exhaust or a Hi-flow Catalytic Convertor at the least. If you want a great stereo, it'll need a speaker upgrade.

Ted

OP
OP
U

UIUC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the Atlanta area. I'm trying to avoid a car that's been tracked, just a personal preferance. I don't suppose there are too many out there that Grandma drove to and from church in on Sundays? Thanks -

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just buy a garage queen then. It's your money and up to you to choose the "best for you".

Ted

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the market for a 97 will be a lot softer than for an 02. Its rainy where you live and you sound like someone who doesn't want a 'raw' driver's car, so you might want to get an 01-2 which come with ABS. Expect to pay in the 40's (for an 01-02) depending on condition and who you buy from. Side exhausts are very loud...lots of guys with em (like my neighbor) end up driving with earplugs, so keep that in mind. The cars sound like a UPS truck and feel kind of like driving a boat compared to a TR, but yes, the Viper and TR make good stablemates... ;)
DSC05265.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

UIUC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice picture. That's exactally what I figured it would look like. You might have just sold me on red vs silver. As for rain - I wish it would rain a bit more. The drought continues in the south. The main aquifer for Atlanta was nearly dry late last fall. - Thanks

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang greenhouse effect, eh? Good luck with your hunt. PS- I HATE RED CARS.....NOT! Did I mention that the Viper is a bit faster than the TR, at least in the lower half of the speedo. Also, if you like the red/tan combo of Ferrari, then you will probably like the Connelly leather interior option on the Viper, which I think is tan only, but good luck finding one. Mine is one of about 32 I think. It also breaks up the interior so it isn't so claustrophobic (if that's an issue for you). (I got trapped in a solid black one when I was searching for my car, and almost lost it...)
DSC04726.JPG

In case you haven't guessed, the Viper is my track toy. Its awesome for that purpose. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper