New Viper Owner, Many Questions

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All

Just closed on a 2000 ACR with 7k miles from Bernie @ BJ Motors. It is going to take about 3 weeks to get the car delivered, so I though I would get a couple of items ordered.

Now for the questions

1. I assume since the car has the original rubber on it. I should be thinking new rubber?
2. Which rubber is the best option for some one who will only drive about 1000K per year with 99% of that being in the dry?
3. I think I am going to take the rims off of the car and put them in storage. I will probably end up putting I forge Astra's on the car. Who has the best deals on that rim?
4. Exhaust. Probably just going to do a cat back system at this time, is the Corsa system worth the extra dollars?
5. Should I be changing the cats when I am doing the cat back system? What advantage is there in changing the stock cats?
6. Finally a couple of questions to all the ACR owners out there. Can I use the stock Koni adjustable suspension to lower the car? And if so by how much?
7. have also heard that some of the first ACR,s had softer spring rates, if so how do I determine if this car is one of them.
8. I have read that the Acr's comes with some sort of K&N air filter, is that true? And if so is it just a drop in cartridge or the full cold air system?
9. Adding driving lights back to the car, what is the best way to do this?

Anyway thats enough to get started, and yes I have search for most of these questions, however I have had conflicting information on some of the answers.

Thanks

Looki

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. Which rubber is the best option for some one who will only drive about 1000K per year with 99% of that being in the dry?

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups fit that description.

3. I think I am going to take the rims off of the car and put them in storage. I will probably end up putting I forge Astra's on the car. Who has the best deals on that rim?

The Cups tire were recently released in 18"/19" fitment but note if you go to the 19" rears it will make your gear ratio slightly taller.

4. Exhaust. Probably just going to do a cat back system at this time, is the Corsa system worth the extra dollars?

My personal advice = leave the exhaust alone. I really dislike how loud my car it.

5. Should I be changing the cats when I am doing the cat back system? What advantage is there in changing the stock cats?

If you do mess with the exhaust the big advantage to high flows is that they are smaller diameter which helps reduce the side-sill heat problem Vipers have.

Follow the golden rule: "thou shalt not floor the gas pedal unless thoust be going in a straight line."

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the Corsa system worth the extra dollars?

I have the Corsa cat back system and I think that the sound is great. It is not too loud, IMHO, and no drone, as has been reported by others using other systems. I definitely recommend it; however, your tastes may differ. From what I've read, the Corsa is probably the most conservative choice; but, sounds great during signifivcant throttle application. :2tu:

8. I have read that the Acr's comes with some sort of K&N air filter, is that true? And if so is it just a drop in cartridge or the full cold air system?

True. It is just a drop in filter, and they added the smooth tubes between the air box and the throttle bodies.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really dislike the stock exhaust and sound of it. I have No cats and a Corsa track exhaust with headers. Anything under 2000rpm is really really quiet. WOT is loud. The stock double cats cause a lot of side sill heat and I've seen 2 Vipers that had fires or damage caused by the stock cats. Hi-flow Cats also add hp.

I would normally recommend speaker upgrades (if you have a stereo) but for 1K per year, you'll probably not need a great stereo.

I wrote an Illustrated Upgrade on how to cut/weld your seat track for an extra inch or two of lowering if you're tall.

Do a search on the driving lights. Join the VCA as I think you'll find a ton of info (driving lights, Skip-shift Eliminator Kit, etc.) in the members only Illustrated Upgrades.

If the car is at Bernie's why not get him to adjust the height of the susp.? I have 2" of ground clearance at the chin spoiler with my car.

Ted

OP
OP
L

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really dislike the stock exhaust and sound of it. I have No cats and a Corsa track exhaust with headers. Anything under 2000rpm is really really quiet. WOT is loud. The stock double cats cause a lot of side sill heat and I've seen 2 Vipers that had fires or damage caused by the stock cats. Hi-flow Cats also add hp.

I would normally recommend speaker upgrades (if you have a stereo) but for 1K per year, you'll probably not need a great stereo.

I wrote an Illustrated Upgrade on how to cut/weld your seat track for an extra inch or two of lowering if you're tall.

Do a search on the driving lights. Join the VCA as I think you'll find a ton of info (driving lights, Skip-shift Eliminator Kit, etc.) in the members only Illustrated Upgrades.

If the car is at Bernie's why not get him to adjust the height of the susp.? I have 2" of ground clearance at the chin spoiler with my car.

Ted

Hi Ted

Thanks for the information. That is a good sugestion regarding Bernie. I wonder if that will mess with the car transportation company ability to move the car?

Thanks

Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950