08 Viper with headers and 150 shot of nitrous!!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering what was up as my old 08 trapped 129 bone stock

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Edit: It seems the SRT8 shares the '08s pistons, so we should be able to get a good idea of how tough they are from SRT8 guys. The SRT8s have less stroke though, and so the '08 should support about 10% more power per cylinder at the same cylinder pressure.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. I was going to post that. The SRT engineers at VOIx said that they changed the bore and stroke small amounts to be able to use the 6.1 L pistons and "powder metal" rods for their addittional strength.

When I visted Larry Macedo's shop last spring his customer stopped by wthe his "entry level" 5psi, 550rwhp Twins Screw Supercharger kit Larry's helping develop the software for. I'd say that Larry's opinion on piston strength is one of the most valid.

Hitting a Nitrous button for 10 sec. every so often isn't very ******* the engine compared to all us Gen 2 guys that run superchargers and Turbos all the time for tens of thousands of miles (nearly 50,000 supercharged miles on mine). I know there's quite a few Gen 2 guys running 300hp kits.

There was a question as to the more than 100rwhp from a 100hp Nitrous kit. Each engine design is different and provides different hp improvements. Low compression, low cam overlap and free flowing exhaust are what Nitrous liked. When Nitrous is used on a supercharged engine (especially a Roe sc) there is an extra benefit from teh supercooling effects of the Nitrous. I helped do some NOS system research years ago and there was a 50% improvement from teh estra cooling effect. I expect that MY 100hp Nitrous kit would give me an easy 150rwhp on my 10psi Viper.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The numbers are great, and I hope the motor lasts.

But claiming that a 150 shot gave you 163hp and 250lb's torque at the wheels, is like saying you got 150 dollars from 100. The nitrous jet is obviously bigger than a 150 shot, it could be from the bottle pressure or just from too big of a nozzle. You should be seeing about 120-130rwhp gain, considering the drive train loss.

As stated by Hinosviper the hp rating is normally rwhp and not bhp. Each car and engine is different with different hp being posted. Nitrous likes low compression and low cam overlap. Nitrous also shows much larger numbers on FI engines because of it's supercooling effect on intake temps. It concievable that a 100hp kit could easily build 150hp on a supercharged or Turbo'd engine. The higher the boost the increased Nitrous hp.

Ted