My Garage Floor Project...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got done putting down an intermediate coat of epoxy to my garage floor. Next coat will be a top coat of poly. Before I put down the poly, I've been contemplating whether or not I should paint a Sneaky Pete logo on the floor. :D I was thinking a black sneaky pete logo big enough to fill one bay. Thoughts?

My friend, neighbor and fellow Viper owner owns an industrial costings business and after seeing how great his garage floors looked he convinced me to get mine done for the price of a few steak dinners. The process of painting the floor started late last fall when I had the floor shot-blasted to remove a sealer coat I put down about 6 years ago. Although I'm using industrial epoxy used in nuclear testing rooms any good epoxy will do BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT SURFACE PREP.

Shot Blasting:
Basically a process that utilizes a machine to pelt the **** out of your concrete with tiny metal shot. The process strips the concrete and makes it very porous. I didn't take pics of my actual floor during the blasting process but here's an example of shot blasting:

PICT2027.jpg

I've seen paint lift off of garage floors from hot tires because the concrete wasn't prepped or prepped in a bad manor. Whether you go the shot blasting or acid etching route (I did both) you need to make certain the concrete surface is porous enough to accept the epoxy paint.

Acid Etching Option:
After the shot-blast process, there were a few areas that could've used another pass. I decided to use an acid-etching solution for these areas. Interestingly enough, I found that my Lowe's sells muriatic acid by the gallon which is commonly used for etching. However, I found something that works much better and is (at least that's what the label states) environmentally friendly and won't harm your plants. It's called "Clean and Etch". It's VERY strong. At full strength it will do a number on your concrete. This stuff can be found at Lowe's and is fairly easy to use. Mix it with a gallon of water, pour or spray on the floor and scrub with a bristle broom until the foaming action stops. Rinse away with water and you're done. Had I know how well this stuff worked I wouldn't have gone the shot blasting route:

IMG_0197.JPG

Unfortunately, I got a late start last fall and had to wait out the winter until the temps got above 50 degrees before I could put down paint. We started by putting down a primer/bonding agent and let it dry for 48 hours. We followed up with a thick intermediate coat of light gray epoxy paint. If you want a great workout for your shoulders, rolling this paint over 900 square feet will do the trick. :2tu:

A few pics:

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

For a little texture and a different look, I put down Red/Black/White vinyl paint fleck/chips. This can be found at your local hardware or paint store.
IMG_0193.JPG

We'll let this cure for 24-48 hours depending on the temps then we'll follow it up with a coat of poly. If my back cooperates, I will try to paint a sneaky pete logo before the poly goes down.

- Tony

Last edited:
D

DAMN YANKEE

Wow! TOny, help me get a better sense of this garage. Please take a shot outside with the garage door open.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! TOny, help me get a better sense of this garage. Please take a shot outside with the garage door open.

DY, the pic of the shot-blasting equipment is not from my garage. Just a pic I found through google. My garage is 36x26 with 12' ceilings. Here's a pic of the front. I'd go outside and take another pic but my back isn't cooperating. :)

IMG_0165.jpg

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got that same Epoxy at my house and work garage. Looks great!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a company called Stonhard here in N Cal. As a contractor I have used this in many cleanrooms in the mfg. of phamaceuticals I have to say it's nearly bullet proof. The product is troweled on about 1/4" or more then finish coat is applied the next day. I also make the cove with it also so its very washable and hoseable without getting into the drywall which is expoxy painted as well. If anyone is interested in this area I can get you in touch with a guy that does it on the side. Lots of different colors and blends as well.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a company called Stonhard here in N Cal. As a contractor I have used this in many cleanrooms in the mfg. of phamaceuticals I have to say it's nearly bullet proof. The product is troweled on about 1/4" or more then finish coat is applied the next day. I also make the cove with it also so its very washable and hoseable without getting into the drywall which is expoxy painted as well. If anyone is interested in this area I can get you in touch with a guy that does it on the side. Lots of different colors and blends as well.

Wow dude, lifestyles of the rich and famous for the $tonhard brand. I'm doing a remodel of our control room here at work - 300 sq ft - and they quoted $5800.00.

Can't imagine the $$$ for a good sized Snake Pit!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, that floor looks awesome, I totally love the multi-colored flecks as well!!! Hope your back cooperates, and a Sneaky Pete would look totally BADASP in there!!! GREAT job~~~juli

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Canynon, that's the process we used to put down my coating. The coating is manufactured by Sigma Coatings. We had to use a 1/4" trowel to spread it and then back-roll it. My buddy does this for a living but mainly for industrial sites. He tried to convince me to epoxy the walls as well (red/black, etc.) so that I can wash the car in the garage and not mess up the drywall. But I really have no desire for it. I know this stuff is not cheap but I do believe the quick-crete epoxy kits are very good for home use.

V

Venomiss

One vote for Mr. Sneaky on floor. Great work and when you are done can you do our garage too?:D

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One vote for Mr. Sneaky on floor. Great work and when you are done can you do our garage too?:D

It's been raining here since I posted the progress so we've been stuck waiting for clear weather to finish up. Quite frankly, I was walking around on the floor yesterday and I love it just the way it is without a sneaky pete so I'm undecided. There will be a sneaky pete logo either on the floor or on the wall. I'd be happy to do your garage floor. If I were closer to you I'd do it for you.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its bucks in the real world but, there are guys out there like I posted earlier that do it much cheaper than Stonhard using this product. My experience with this product which is extensive go's like this. The salesman or woman comes out looks at the project, sends the product, has the labors install it. Leaving some behind. Only to be removed by them and into there stash of product. Its somewhat like copper. some save the scrap and some just throw it away. I had my garage done cheap and it's all coved as well.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow dude, lifestyles of the rich and famous for the $tonhard brand. I'm doing a remodel of our control room here at work - 300 sq ft - and they quoted $5800.00.

Can't imagine the $$$ for a good sized Snake Pit!
your right about the price but, That is for commerical work. If your thinking about having it done I can hook you up for much less for a garage or? but, you have to be in the bay area. It really is the best product we have used and I have built many cleanrooms, labs etc. Just my experiences.
thanks

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canynon, that's the process we used to put down my coating. The coating is manufactured by Sigma Coatings. We had to use a 1/4" trowel to spread it and then back-roll it. My buddy does this for a living but mainly for industrial sites. He tried to convince me to epoxy the walls as well (red/black, etc.) so that I can wash the car in the garage and not mess up the drywall. But I really have no desire for it. I know this stuff is not cheap but I do believe the quick-crete epoxy kits are very good for home use.
I just like the Stonhard product. I had several rooms done and I think its bulletproof. It's not cheap for sure but, as most of us know all prices are not set in Stonhard.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your right about the price but, That is for commerical work. If your thinking about having it done I can hook you up for much less for a garage or? but, you have to be in the bay area. It really is the best product we have used and I have built many cleanrooms, labs etc. Just my experiences.
thanks

The fact of the matter is the stuff we're using is OVERKILL for most home applications. I'm fortunate enough to have a great friend who had a bit of this left-over from his job sites and the product cost me next to nothing. Otherwise, I'd skip down to Lowes and pickup a quickcrete 2 part epoxy kit for $64 per bay and be just as happy. It's all about the prep and that's where the bulk of the cost resides. The epoxy is actually the cheapest part of the equation.

I started this thread to show what goes into a painted garage floor, tips, traps, possibilities. There's a misconception out there that to have a garage floor epoxied takes ridiculous $$$. Not true. For the DIY'r it's well within reach and a cool alternative to garage floor tile. I do these on the side and I'd be more than happy to help anyone that's contemplating a project like this.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, very true about the prep.... Pretty much goes with all coatings. Nice of you to offer the help and advice.

GRAPE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a business that does this sort of thing, somewhat by accident, we travel all over the southeast with the race shop floors as well as the most level epoxy surface plate in the world for the most serious of racer. The coating is the easy part as stated above, what people don't realize is, a 12" ride on shot blast machine is somewhere in the $40-$50K price range.

You must be registered for see images attach

my personal down here in the hillbilly state.....

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a crack that was filled in with some sort of iller and it looks like total ****. What should i do prior to coating the floor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950