Convertible Top requires big guns to close

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Am I alone?

Well, the first few times I opened/closed it, I did not realize that the latch needs to be in the "loaded" position for an easy closure. (Pull the handle all the way back to get the latch in the right position).

The latch is a bit like a gun. You need to **** it first, and when you secure the top, you fire it while pushing the top close. (The hook should latch on to the bar when you fire it. If you try to get the hook to latch while it is dangling loose, you're in for a struggle! It sounds like this is what you're experiencing).

If you know what I'm talking about, and it's *still* difficult, then it might be that your car really is troublesome in this regard and needs adjustment...

Peter

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got you on the trigger action. Cocked and loaded every time but still very tough. It is much easier with two people doing it and pulling down or pushing down simultaneously.

I'll try lubing her up with the water thing so it helps it stretch:omg:. I truly think its a matter of stretching her out:lmao:Anyway I am used to gettin em wet before I put them down to sleep.:headbang: You hear that ladies:cool:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the GenIII tops are a marvel in engineering and assembly ergonomics compared the GenII soft top. I had to slap the soft top on my GenII earlier this week and I was very close to setting it on fire. I'd convert to an SRT for the soft top alone.
That will knock some sense into it :rolaugh:

Last edited: