Clutch problem on a 2004 SRT/10 help......

KingSRT001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got in the car to put in gear and clutch just came loose.....had to have AAA flat tow it to the dealership. Couple of questions, how much is a new clutch installed? how long is the powertrain warranty? the last time i had an issue they covered it with my powertrain warranty....i really hate it when i have to leave any of my cars at the dealership!!!

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 years/ 70K miles for 2004's. Clutch is usually not included for the powertrain warranty. Some rare cases they cover it. A new clutch is around $300 I think?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by 'came loose"? But you may want to try bleeding any air out of the system before you do major surgery.

OP
OP
K

KingSRT001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will not engage it is just loose as in dangling back and forth freely. The service dept just called me and they are thinking is the clutch cable, he said about $200 or a little more if that's the prob....i'm hoping that's it....

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Might want to consider another service department as there is NO cable on the Viper clutch - it is hydraulic. If it is truely dangling back and forth, possibly a linkage issue, but most likely the slave cylinder may be the culprit which involves dropping the tranny.

it will not engage it is just loose as in dangling back and forth freely. The service dept just called me and they are thinking is the clutch cable, he said about $200 or a little more if that's the prob....i'm hoping that's it....

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Slave cylinder is likely the culprit.

V

Venomiss

If you leave it take pictures-whole car and odometer. JUST IN CASE.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the clutch pedal is just swinging than I would look at the rod from the master cylinder that hooks up to the clutch pedal.If it just happen all of the sudden then the rod most likely came off of the clutch pedal

OP
OP
K

KingSRT001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys...i did hear from the service dept this morning. I was told it's the Actuator,(and he did say it was the clutch cable at first but he wasn't sure) will be oredered, part is already ordered and will be installed tomorrow, looking at about $580 for parts and labor....you just can never trust these dealerships, but i have no choice as to how else to get it fixed....oh well, by the way the car is at Arigo dodge here in West Palm Beach. i believe they do have very good viper tech there....

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not ALL Dealers are the same! :nono:

Clutch master/actuator #4642666AF MSRP $101.00 and it takes about an hour to change, I am at $98 per hrs here.

I guess that dealer is making some money on you! :omg:

Thanks guys...i did hear from the service dept this morning. I was told it's the Actuator,(and he did say it was the clutch cable at first but he wasn't sure) will be oredered, part is already ordered and will be installed tomorrow, looking at about $580 for parts and labor....you just can never trust these dealerships, but i have no choice as to how else to get it fixed....oh well, by the way the car is at Arigo dodge here in West Palm Beach. i believe they do have very good viper tech there....

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would request to see the old part. It is held in by a quarter turn, No Bolts. Chuck assisted me on my 03. If the ears are not broken you do not need the part. inspect what they replace. I did replace mine myself and it was 1.75 hours for a rookie... To see it just remove the cover for the door hinge on the drivers side and you can see it and where it goes through the firewall.

Todd

Last edited:

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The old acctuator is still hanging out of the firewall, I had already ran the new one and it is laying below. I did put some sealant around the opening on the new one to prevent it from coming loose as easy. It is just four tabs that hold it in.

Todd

Attachments

• IAN 10-07 to 10-21-2007 169.jpg
    IAN 10-07 to 10-21-2007 169.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave