gear question

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear diff is at Unitrax waiting for a Quiafe to come in this monday. I have 3:07's (or had since they were damaged when the stock diff broke) and wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade. I did a search and read every thread on gears. The car has 584 rwhp now my goal is to obtain 1,000 rwhp. I don't mind shifting a lot and my driving is about 70% city, 30% highway.

I am leaning towards the 3:33's

-Would the slight increase in rpm's at highway speeds have any effect on engine longevity?

-How much difference in gas milage?

-Is there any difference in the strength of a longer and shorter gear?

Thanks, Bill

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear diff is at Unitrax waiting for a Quiafe to come in this monday. I have 3:07's (or had since they were damaged when the stock diff broke) and wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade. I did a search and read every thread on gears. The car has 584 rwhp now my goal is to obtain 1,000 rwhp. I don't mind shifting a lot and my driving is about 70% city, 30% highway.

I am leaning towards the 3:33's

-Would the slight increase in rpm's at highway speeds have any effect on engine longevity?

-How much difference in gas milage?

-Is there any difference in the strength of a longer and shorter gear?

Thanks, Bill

The longer(TALLER) 3.07 gear is stronger, when you go to a lower ratio the pinion gear gets smaller in size, thus chance of breaking teeth off the gear set is increased.

Gas milage?????? what is that? :rolaugh:

If your taching out 4000+ rpm all the time yes your engine life will be shorter....upshifting will take care of that, I see 1500-1700 rpm in 6th at 80 mph with 3.55.

At 690 rwhp I'm having a blast with the 3.55....but I have to shift into 5th at 135mph...so there is a draw back to going to a lower gear. 3.33 let you run to 145 before you need to shift. also I have the 335/30/20 which is a taller tire so that brings my ratio down a bit.

If you are going to 1000 rwhp you want to stick with the 3.07. I may actually go back to the 3.07 when I put the short 345/25/20's on the car.