gear question

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear diff is at Unitrax waiting for a Quiafe to come in this monday. I have 3:07's (or had since they were damaged when the stock diff broke) and wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade. I did a search and read every thread on gears. The car has 584 rwhp now and my goal is to obtain 1,000 rwhp. I don't mind shifting a lot and my driving is about 70% city, 30% highway.

I am leaning towards the 3:33's

-Would the slight increase in rpm's at highway speeds have any effect on engine longevity?

-How much difference in gas milage?

-Is there any difference in the strength of a longer and shorter gear?

Thanks, Bill

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your asking a loaded question. I don't own a supercharged car but am at or above your current hp levels. I'm running a 3:55 gear and am currently maxed out for mph in the qtr. in 4th gear. 3:33's would probably be the best combo. for me if I was above 625 rwhp. Since your Roe blown you should have more torque than I do out of the gate. 3:33's sound like an excellent combo. with a sticky tire like the BFG's or better.

Where you lost me is the 1000 rwhp, someone more knowledable than I can chime in. I don't believe that's going to happen with a Roe Blower. So the question remains, how do you plan on making that happen? I'm guessing twin turbo's or your current combo with a monster unit on it. I think at that point your probably better off with stock gearing.

Your other questions......

3:33's won't wear the motor out sig. sooner.

Gas mileage? Are you serious?

Yes 3:07's are sig. stronger than say 4:11's , 3:33's probably a little weaker than the 3:07

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your ultimate goal is 1000hp you need to stay with the 3.07. With a 1000 hp you will wish you did. Traction is hard enough with the 3.07 with that kind of power much less the 3.33. If you were staying with the 580hp then I'd say it's not a bad idea. I don't know the anwser to your questions but based on hp alone that's what I would do.

OP
OP
J

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab, your guess was correct, I am going with twin turbos at some point :headbang:

Bryan, do you recognize the sig? You need to take the car out of your sig :D