Forged or Cast - How do you tell?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the visible differences between cast and forged OEM wheels?

I know that cast or forged were original equipment on different years, but I'm looking at just the wheels with no car attached so that cue isn't available. ;)

Is there a part number or a look (e.g. smooth rim inbetween the spokes vs, those three little ribs between the spokes) that will give away the metallurgy?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DrumrBoy,

Real easy.

On the early cast 5 spoke wheels, you will notice they are not shiney like the Forged wheels. The cast wheels will have a dullish grey color to them. The forged wheels you will notice that it looks like polished aluminum with a clear coat on them.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, supposedly ,if you look at the back of the wheel where the center meets the barrel, you'll see a weld bead on the cast version of the 5-stars, whereas on the forged version you won't.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 & early 1997 GTS's came with cast wheels. Below is a 1996 wheel with the weld bead quite visable. Forged is smooth in this area.

While having a cast and forged wheel next to each other will show the forged as "shinier" and more chrome like, you will not look at the cast wheel and consider it "gray" or unpolished. It's more like one is polished and the other is almost chome. No disrespect to AB, just my personal observations having had both.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Based on both the degree of polish (they look exactly like my 18 inch OEM-style wheels in terms of chrome-like finish) and the absence of the weld bead, I'm judging these to be forged. Here's a pic of the inside area... no weld bead, right?

Wheel_inside_2.jpg

Thanks again, really didn't want to find out they were cast on turn 12 at RA!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery