Should i pull the trigger on this car? PICS INSIDE

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very serious about purchasing this car and i would like to get your feedback on the whole deal. The car... 2001 sapphire blue rt10, cognac interior, 43,000 miles, original owner, bone stock. I didnt have good pics from the seller so a very kind forum member and viper owner who lives close by checked out the car for me and took many revealing pictures. The car has its imperfection that are highlited in the photos. They include scratches and some banged up rims. The seller is convinced that the rims can be repaired and the price reflects the not so perfect condition. he is pretty firm on 34,000 but i think might go 33,000. Please keep in mind i will have to ship this car across the country at a cost between 2000 and 2500. i have a friend with a body shop who can probably buff out some of the paint but im worried about the rims. Its not cheap to buy aftermarket wheels, can those really be fixed? Please be honest and kind and keep in mind that i am 24 and on a strict budget and these pictures were taken to show its flaws, not to make it look good. A few scratches arent the end of the world, most of them can probably be bufffed out or touched up. Thanks in advance for the input.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, i know there is a level of class and respect displayed by all members of the VCA and i would be heart broken if anyone were to find the seller and buy the car before i get the chance to. I displayed the information and made my self vulnerable to such an action but im doing it to help a dificult decision. If i decide not to purchase the car i will be more than happy to forward the sellers contact information to any interested parties. Please let me have my chance first, i have a lot of time invested in this so far. Thanks, Kevin

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that car looks a little beat to me...but it is pretty cheap for that car...but there is obviously a reason for that!...don't be afraid to wait a little longer to find the right car...jmho

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems like a good price even with the shipping cost and "minor" damage. For that price you have to think what else you would get. A 93 94 or 95 (which are nice too)but you get much more in a gen 2.
My 2 Cents GOOD LUCK

GreyKnight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those rims are definitely fixable. I accidentally jumped a curb on my 00 rim just like the ones above. $150 out the door, 2 days. You don't need to buy new rims if you want to keep those.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i definitely want a gen two and in my range its going to be hard. I love the color on this car and the fact that its an ABS car is even better. At worst i have to buy a rim and deal with a few scratches. Most of them will probably buff out and ill end up having a good 01 for mid 30s

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think those scratches are going to buff out, they look pretty deep. Also, I wouldn't buy it sight unseen unless you are dealing with a reputable dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are right, some of them are a little deep. My friends shop is very good and i think a careful touch up will make them less noticeable. I dont expect miracles, just subtlety.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you get what you pay for. it seems like a fair deal considering the issues you mentioned. if you want a perfect car, hold off and expect to pay more.

if i were you i would also ask for pics of the interior and engine.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand you situation. My thinking is however, if a car looks like this one does on the outside then what lies beneath.Most of us take sick care of our cars. Scratches like the ones you've shown would make me puke.This car does not tell me that it was pampered.You might want to look a little further, or save up for what you really want.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are right, some of them are a little deep. My friends shop is very good and i think a careful touch up will make them less noticeable. I dont expect miracles, just subtlety.

That's what I was going to say. Most any body shop can fix those pretty easliy, won't even know they were there. For $34K, that is a steal. So, by the time you get the car transported and fixed, you might be into it for $37,000. That is a damn good deal for an 01. :2tu:

Of course, mine has less miles and much fewer scratches :D

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd want a Dodge Dealer checking out the mechanics of the car. There are more than a few stories of guys buying Vipers and having the engines grenade after a few weeks/months. A lot of those scratches will not buff out, most of them in fact. They can be touched up I guess. I also hear a lot of stories about buddies "giving you a deal, etc" I hope he's a good buddy and not a friend of a friend or anything. I'd also want to see the inside of this car. If the outside looks like that, the inside might be a bit ragged. On the bright side, the front fascia is almost always going to look like that, even on a car well taken care of. Rubbing the front happens no matter how careful you are.

After shipping and fixing/replacing your rims you're talking 36-37k. I think you can get a car with half the miles and none of those nasty bumper and sill scratches for right around the same price if you are a little more patient. 37k for a mechanically sound 01 is a good price, but I still don't think it's a "great" deal.

However, this is your first Viper and probably will not be in your possession for very long, it happens. I was your age when I bought my first. Good Luck.

V

Venomiss

You are using this one for a DD correct? Frame and engine condition?
Then my vote would be yes if that's good.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would keep looking. The wheels can be made to look better, but, a gouge like that will always be noticable (especiallly to you). The body looks rough- my fascia has rubbed, but, that one is torn from a hard hit. Good price for an '01-but I could not live with it. I have an '01, but, it was not had in the 30's.

Have a Viper tech look at the car if the price keeps calling you back.

Kurt E

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet for a few thousand more, you can get a better car with less miles. You'll spend 34k on the car, 2k to ship, and then bodywork and painting. After everything is said and done, you'll be close to 40k and for that, you can get a pretty decent gen 2. I picked up mine for 40k almost 2 years ago and it only had 13,9xx miles. The paint and wheels were nearly perfect. Personally, if it were me, I'd pass.

Mike
2001 RT/10

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been in contact with a reputable viper tech and he is going to do a mechanical inspection at his shop on tuesday. Someone asked if it was to be a daily driver and the answer is no. Im going to drive it a lot but not as a DD.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd vote to buy it, leave it as is, and drive it. :drive: Save the money for things you find later that you want - more power, more brakes, etc. All that stuff in the pictures isn't noticeable from the driver's seat.

If it were me, first I'd get springs and shocks and lower it.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same car, see avatar, the S-blue is a great color but tends to "highlight" scratches. Rims are fixable, call "Rim-Doctor", or check with local car dealer, I'm sure they have someone who works on rims. Scrapes on "chin" are common, its really hard not to do this. Price seems OK for what your getting. If your a "neat freak" and are gonna keep the thing in the garage 99% of the time, and just wash & wax it twice a week dont buy it. If a few scatches/dings dont bother you, and your buying it to drive it or have fun with it, seems like a good deal. Check with the local VCA club out there someone will most likely take it to a dealer for you. 2001+ cars have the ABS which is very nice, especially if your gonna do some road courses.

Either way good luck

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you're doing your budget numbers, don't forget the sales tax you'll need to pony up when you register your car! Not sure of your rate locally, but assuming an 8% rate, you're looking at another $2600ish plus plate fees to be able to drive it!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not going to be a garage queen by any means. The car is meant to be driven, not sit in storage and pulled out to wash, wax, and stare at. I dont see how 80% of vipers i see have under 18,000 miles. DRIVE THE CAR!!!!!!!!!! Its a sin to have something that preforms like that and looks like a million bucks and let it sit in a garage under a cover.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, i counted for stupid taxes. Hey vipercollector...... break one out of your collection and give me a deal!!!!!!!!! just kidding... kinda

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya, I bought mine because I've always liked Vipers, and to have some fun with. I try not to miss any events the club puts on, as well as Viper Days @ Sebring each year. Since I've bought it, I've been drag racing twice (never been before either) and been road coursing four times (never did that before either) Like you said why buy it and stare at it in the garage. I dont drive mine everyday either, maybe 4-5 times a month, but I'm always looking for excuses to get it out. I know other owners who have a heart attack if they get one scratch on they're car. Not that i'm trying to get one (scratch), but who cares, its a car. I was following another Viper home from an event one day, and we took off on a deserted road, and he blasted me with loose gravel on the road, and gave me a few fascia & hood chips, my buddy was sick about it, I said *** dont worry about it, my cars still faster than yours LOL

Good luck:kabong:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with ya, I bought mine because I've always liked Vipers, and to have some fun with. I try not to miss any events the club puts on, as well as Viper Days @ Sebring each year. Since I've bought it, I've been drag racing twice (never been before either) and been road coursing four times (never did that before either) Like you said why but it and stare at it in the garage. I dont drive mine everyday either, maybe 4-5 times a month, but I'm always looking for excuses to get it out. I know other owners who have a heart attack if they get one scratch on they're car. Not that i'm trying to get one (scratch), but who cares, its a car. I was following another Viper home from an event one day, and we took off on a deserted road, and he blasted me with loose gravel on the road, and gave me a few fascia & hood chips, my buddy was sick about it, I said *** dont worry about it, my cars still faster than yours LOL

Good luck:kabong:

Dont get me wrong, i dont like the scratches but im willing to deal because its probably going to happen anyway. My z06 was show room and im not lying. i was so crazy about keeping it perfect and one day i let the hose touch it while i was washing it and a grain of sand made a small scratch. I was so mad that i had defiled a flawless car and then i realized.... ITS JUST A CAR.... scratches will happen, just dont let i happen to often.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, i counted for stupid taxes. Hey vipercollector...... break one out of your collection and give me a deal!!!!!!!!! just kidding... kinda

Heh, see my other thread - I just got my first one 2 days ago! The 'collector' part is scale models - over 700 different!

I do keep threatening my wife that I need more than one of the 1:1 scale - at least one of each generation! She isn't buying it....

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the wheels and cosmetics are an easy fix. And for low $30's. Thats a decent buy. Wheels America will make them new for $150/ea.

My concern would be the front bumper. It looks like it sits lower than the hood. Which opens a can or worms. Was it hit? Was the bumper just off to get repainted? Whats the story? I would stay away from a Viper with body work. They're never right again..

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Where are you? east coast NY, NJ, I know I saw it in another post, anyway dont get impatient. I think I spent about 60 days looking before I bought one. You may find one alot closer thats just as good a deal, or 2000 higher, but will offset for shipping. I live in central Florida, and bought mine out of Georgia. Never saw it untill it arrived on the trailer. The dealer sent me about 40 photos and I contacted the Georgia VCA chapter and had someone from the club go test drive it and give it a once over. The car was 99% of what they both said. No complaints. Besides you want to save your money for "mods", lol
I just added Belanger Headers & exhaust. Man they are great. Remember to ask how old the tires are. They may only have 5K miles on them, but if they're 3-4 year old they may be hard as rocks. A new sets gonna run $1500+- gotta factor that in also.

:shark:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the color. My car was probably driven harder but is well maintained and not BEAT. From the way it loooks it should be checked over mechanicaly VERY carefully. That car has not been respectfuly treated. BTW the tires are old PS -1 style which are as hard as stone by now. Figure in new rubber too. If you want a vert get a vert. I prefer the classic look of the GTS tracing its lineage to the Brock daytona cobra and the '62 Ferrari 250 GTO (Scaglietti design) which was the inspiration for Brock. Anyway look for an 01 or 02 which are the best of the Gen 2.Remember it was the Gen-2 that went to and dominated at Lemans..... GTS BRuce

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heh, see my other thread - I just got my first one 2 days ago! The 'collector' part is scale models - over 700 different!

I do keep threatening my wife that I need more than one of the 1:1 scale - at least one of each generation! She isn't buying it....

I think you might have more luck if you told her the next one is for her!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950