Acne In Engine Compartment - Fla Car - HELP!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, pretty on the outside (my opinion) not so pretty on the inside!

Being in Florida is great for swimming, getting a tan and other related things to do, but not great for Vipers (certainly in this case).:nono:

The engine compartment is generally not bad, Armoral does wonders, but for the black painted body parts....NOT SO GOOD!:crazy2:

Here is a shot of the driver's side, note the rusting of the air box and the brake vaccum booster....nothing that waxing will help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Any ideas?????:confused:

Much appreciated.:2tu:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red (5k Miles)

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Move to a drier climate. Not much else aside from complete stripping and repainting is going to help. My concern would be about the areas you CAN'T see. Just my .02

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet that water, be it from rain or car washing, got in there from the hood speaker grille directly above that location. I always wipe that area down after a good washing. Definitely a repaint at some point.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Okay, had a feeling it would require repaint, but what kind of paint and how do you do those areas that are part of the body (welded). :dunno: Also, what do I do with the air box part that has a factory sticker on it? Can those stickers be found, otherwise, that's one heck of a tape job!!!:crazy2:

I just got this car about 3 weeks ago and its going into Tators for servicing and a look over. Guess I'll know more after he checks it out.:eater:

Meanwhile, just trying to prepare myself for the type of work I'm undoubtably going to have to do.:(

I could ignore it, but not the way I am...especially everytime I open the hood!!:omg:

Thanks.

Peter

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks....I figured.

By the way, maybe its not the airbox,:confused: its the metal "box" area on the driver's side behind the brake vaccum booster...painted black with a factory sticker. My concern is the sticker, I can tape it (hopefully not messing it up with tape), but when grinding (lightly) the old paint off, tough not to hit the sticker or not take off enough old paint around the sticker.:nono: Easier if i could replace the sticker, but that might be a very difficult thing to find.:dunno:

To me its a minor thing, hopefully the car living in Florida didn't have any other effects! I just bought the car, bought off the internet...never did that before. Outside and interior are quite nice, only 5k miles, but it obviously sat quite a bit :eater:for that low mileage over ten years. If it was me, I would have garaged it, but guess not the previous owner.

Anyway, thanks all for your comments...looks like my first "project" for this car.:headbang:

I really just wanna drive...:drive:

Peter

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never seen that before on any of the UK vipers and one of those is used and abused.......

Chuck knows a real good paint shop,So maybe have a chat with him when you drop your Viper off...

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the only place with this problem???
Maybe the brake fluid cap came of and dameged the paint wich has now corroded

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya.....but how many times did you ever see acne only on one side of a face!!!:omg:

Here is the airbox side (pass) with same thing.

In looking back, funny, the only pictures not shown were of the engine compartment and never dawned on me to ask! :bonker: But, while I have bought lots of nice cars in my life (no excuse), the low mileage, mint interior and beautiful outside, even original tires...never suggested anything would be less than "good.":nono: In business I NEVER assume anything, as that gets you in trouble....so, here I made that assumption and I have extra work to do.:mad:

But, I love the car...looks great, feels great (my opinion)... getting new PS2s and some basic servicing at Chucks place, then onto DRIVING!!! :drive:

I'll work on the repainting as a project over the summer or (depending on cost) see what Chuck would recommend...so, I'm sitting and waiting patiently:eater:

Thanks again to all!

What a great site and....yes, I did join VCA, waiting for my member number.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops, sorry, meant to attach the reduced size pic of the Viper:brick:

Latest posts

Members online