98 GTS Front brake pad change???

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just recently changed my pads and rotors on my 98 to the EBC Rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads, and all is well on that front. What I was wondering is what most guys use to push the pistons back into the front calipers to get the new pads in? With the shape of the caliper itself the good old "C" clamp method does not work, so I was curious what tool or inventions you guys have come up with. I ended up just using my hands to press them in with the old pads in place and that worked fine although a bit tough. I know there has to be a better way.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, its very easy if you crack the bleeder valve just a bit. I use this trick to not introduce any air.... get some clear tubing that is a tight fit on the bleeder valve ******, tape or zip tie a piece of stout wire to the tubing to get it to stand up straight (vertical) so when the fluid enters it rises in a column. You only need 6 inches or so since not alot of fluid comes out when you push the piston in; keeping the tube vertical ensures that anything going back into the system is fluid, not air. You lose a couple of cc's of fluid each time.

OK, so there. I used the terms "******", stand up straight" and "6 inches" in the same post. Shame on me.

:lmao:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...OR, just open the reservoir cap (NOT the bleeder) and use a wooden or plastic trim stick to gently work the pistons back in place. Works GREAT, is simple, no risk of damage or air in system. Be sure that reservoir does not overflow as you move more and more pistons back into place...brake fluid is nasty on paint.

OP
OP
L

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, at least I am not the only one who just pushed them in with my hands. I just thought there had to be a better way, in the grand scheme of things I guess not.:D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the old pads. Pull the pins out, rotate the pads 90 degrees so they stick out past the edge of the rotor and the edge of the rotor becomes the pivot of the teeter-totter.

Rear pistons must use the "special tool" to rotate and screw them back into the caliper.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear pistons must use the "special tool" to rotate and screw them back into the caliper.
I've found that a set of needle nose pliers can easily serve as that special tool. Open them up so that each prong stick into one of the holes on the piston and screw it in. For the fronts use a C-clamp and a set of pads.

OP
OP
L

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've found that a set of needle nose pliers can easily serve as that special tool. Open them up so that each prong stick into one of the holes on the piston and screw it in. For the fronts use a C-clamp and a set of pads.

For the rears I just bought the generic rear pad tool and redid some of the little ****/notches on one side with my die grinder to fit the vipers detent holes and it worked fine. I think the little tool was maybe $3.00 or so. And I suppose I will stick to using my hands for the fronts although I will try the "crack the bleeder screw with the tubing over it" method next time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery