Issues with starting and stereo

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
Looking for some input on what may the solution to this. I've had intermittent failure of the stereo kicking out, specifically the sound: the screen display stays on. Ultimately found that the battery was the culprit and a new one was replaced. That was my first go-around. The battery died again and I just replaced with a new one because it gave me the same symptoms as the first one. The new one actually has 700 plus cranking amps and now I'm seeing the same crap again after only 2 weeks. The system now doesn't even have enough to crank. When I jump the battery it starts and the battery is fine but I still get no sound. The charging system is fine with about 13.8 volts on idle. I've checked all connections except the feed from the battery to the front. Is there a junction there that might come loose and if so, where the .... is it? Appreciate some guidance.
Max

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a draw on your battery that is killing it. You can verify this by turning everything off and putting an ameter between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post. If it is indeed a draw on your battery you can then start pulling fuses to try and isolate the circuit. My guess would be it is tied in with your stereo...........

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't checked with an ammeter but it acts intermittent. If there were a failure wouldn't you expect it to be continuous? It was fine for a couple of days and then last night I was listening to tunes and the sound goes off. Thought nothing of it until this morning when there was way to open the car. I'll try the disengaging of the stereo to see if that is my power drain.
Thanks, Max

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally isolated the source and ViperVon was on! The fuse to the amp was pulled and no further issues with the battery. I would bet this is a common problem and probably accounts for a lot of battery kills. In my case it started with loosing sound but the display was active and showed the sound level but no noise. Then it escalated to gradually draining the battery to now it drains it out overnight. The stock battery had 600 amps and I replaced it with a 700 amp unit and it drained it to the point of no voltage reading whatsoever. Don't know the layout but it sounds like a relay stays engaged and keeps power on the amp even though the ignition is off. Has anyone had issues where the amp acted like this?
Max

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave