Better than Sidewinders?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody have these on an SRT (SP 550)?

1l.jpg

photo_1000x1000.jpg

Reaction score
I love the CCW wheels and have had them supplied for my race car for many years BUT I think if you are looking for a track wheel this particular CCW will not be the right choice. If you talk with John he will tell you the same. These are some of his style wheels and there are better choices for a track wheel in his lineup. The wheel may work fine for a while but will be over stressed for this type of use. His new Corsair wheels for the Viper are very strong and stiff (which you want in a track wheel to keep alignments specs in check) they are also light and have great BBK clearance.

Reaction score
Yes the SSR wheels are very light but NOT very durable. Woodhouse Racing used them during the two years we ran the SRT-4 in WCTC and bent and cracked so many it was not funny and this was on a 2300# Neon! A 3300# Viper with twice as much rubber will destroy the SSR if used hard.

To be fair the old SSR's that were forged back before the company was sold were probably stronger but it was too expensive to continue to produce them that way from what I have been told in the past. No proof just what I have heard. They are light though and I know LOT's of Autocrossers that swear by them. But in autocross the wheels do not see the "heat" that a track wheel will and thus the greater fatigue.

Just my .02

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you thought about these?

copperhead_wheels.jpg

Yes, those are what I call 'Sidewinders.' I had them on my '05. Not crazy about the looks, and the offset is about 1/4" too much in the rear (don't know why Dodge did that), which is why I asked about thoughts on the CCW SP550. The CCWs can also be had in 19/20 set ups. And no, not looking for a track wheel.

photo_1000x1000.jpg

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I echo what Jorgensen said, as I had John's wheels on my 98 Viper Days machine and have recommended him to many Snake drivers. His wheels are American made , he has supported many race groups over the years ( including Viper Days ), and his prices are very reasonable.

I don't think you can go wrong with CCW , and John Purner is about as laid back an owner as you will find. We have always gotten great service from him , and that says alot , as Dealers need to have that assurance, since our customers expect it from us.

Good luck, and good choice.:headbang:

Reaction score
Yes sorry about the track wheel direction I would choose the SP500 also it is a great looking wheel that can be had in the sizes you want and the finish on the CCW wheels is second to none IMHO.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, those are what I call 'Sidewinders.' I had them on my '05. Not crazy about the looks, and the offset is about 1/4" too much in the rear (don't know why Dodge did that), which is why I asked about thoughts on the CCW SP550. The CCWs can also be had in 19/20 set ups. And no, not looking for a track wheel.
photo_1000x1000.jpg

My apologies... You coudn't have been more clear in the title of your thread. The sidewinders are what you don't want...:duh:

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes sorry about the track wheel direction I would choose the SP500 also it is a great looking wheel that can be had in the sizes you want and the finish on the CCW wheels is second to none IMHO.

I was told by CCW that the SP500 was not available for the Viper due to the 6 lug configuration.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How light are the CCW's?

I always thought the SSR's were lightest wheel. Then I weighed my buddies 18" SSR's with PS2's mounted up. They actually weighed a pound or two more then my 18" and 19" Sidewinders mounted with PS2's. I should have never got rid of them, they would have been great track tires, except for lack of a sticky rear track tire in 19"

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How light are the CCW's?

I always thought the SSR's were lightest wheel. Then I weighed my buddies 18" SSR's with PS2's mounted up. They actually weighed a pound or two more then my 18" and 19" Sidewinders mounted with PS2's. I should have never got rid of them, they would have been great track tires, except for lack of a sticky rear track tire in 19"

I have the Sidewinders on my 2008. I weighed them before mounting (without tires, lugs, center caps or TPMS sensors) and got 17.5 for the front 18 x 10 rims and 25 lbs for the rear 19 x 13 rim. I have looked around for a light rim set in those sizes and short of going to a full magnesium or carbon fiber rim, the Sidewinders are tough to beat weightwise.

/Rich