Porsche Type: Brake Air Deflector 96 GTS

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All,

I have heard confliciting information regarding the Porsche Type Brake Air Deflector? Would love to hear everones comments regarding if they really work. I need to place a P/S order with Dave's BB. As such, I was thinking about also getting the Deflector since I track the car around 4 times a year.

Any advice or pictures of the Air Deflector installed would be much appreciated.

Rev

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Frankly, the deflector with bracing, was first designed and used by Bob Woodhouse back in the mid 90s. We sold them , and of course there were alot of copies made by others. A metal brace works the best for the deflector, as the heat can be pretty tough on some of the plastic holders,etc. They also hold up alot better after an off track excursion.

With all of that said, they have a limited viability , in my estimation, if you are a serious track rat, and you tend to get your brakes really warm. Pad and rotor life is extended tremendously on the Gen 1s and IIs , if you get a good brake duct kit. Somewhat pricey, they will save you a ton on brake components, extending the life virtually 4 fold in my experience. So your overall cost, in the long run, actually is significantly reduced, when your pads wear at a much lower rate, and the rotors are kept at a more consistent temp. The aerodynamics of the early Vipers kept the airflow away from the braking area, due to the unique design of the Snake.

Hope this is helpful, but feel free to call me if you would like more info.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
1-800-889-1893

Example: Went through 3 sets of front pads at Mid Ohio , boiled the fluid until I went to SRF, and almost chewed up a set of rears.

The next year at
the same track, after installing a brake duct system, and though I was almost 4 seconds faster per lap ( Hoosiers and a more modded car ), I never changed pads, fluids, etc. I competed in the next Viper Days event, spending an entire day prior to the event testing, and did not go through a set of front pads until the middle of the first day of the Challenge Series. The duct system is where to spend the funds.:2tu:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill is 100% right, nothing better than having a good brake duct.
The tricky part is to make sure than the incoming air is directed to the center ( the open part) of the rotor and not at the side of the rotor.
The air cool the rotor by going, from the inside out, through the vanes.
it's also pretty easy and cheap ( less than $100) to add water cooling to your brakes if you have a good ducting system.
You only need a few parts:
4 misting nozzles
4 one way ,1psi valves
1 small 12V pump
silicone tubing and 2 T's"
1 switch
1 water tank ( the 1 galon red plastic one for fuel is perfect)
Basically you put 1 nozzle and 1 one way valve in each duct, about 6" from the rotor, connect all of them with the tubing and "T's" to the out of the water pump and the in of the pump go to the water tank.
For the wiring, the pump will have 2 wires ( - and + ) connect the + to the + of the brake lights and you run the - to 1 side on an on/off switch with the other side of the switch to ground.
With the switch "on" every time you brake you will spray a water mist into the ducting.

Luc 00GTS

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used these on my 96 GTS and it made a significant difference. I even noticed it generated enough air flow that my wheels were less dusty after track events.

It is no where as effective as a properly designed and constructed ducting system, but for occasional track use it works pretty well.

I got them from Porsche dealer, and it cost way more than $15. Believe they used it as an upgrade from regular 911 to turbo model.

They hold up pretty well to off road (don't ask) but the wrap tie method has been upgraded with most vendors.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also used these. Waste of $$$. If you do decide to use these go to the porsche dealer. You don't need a part number then will have it. Just tell them you want the air defelector..

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I went the the Porsche dealer they couldn't find the part just from my description. When I came back with the part numbers they had no problem:
993-341-084-00
993-341-083-00

Mine were 15 dollars but it looks like you can get them on line here for about 12!
Porsche 911 Suspension - Page 4

The zip ties are not as secure as the mounting brackets as they will rotate if you run over something but this may actually be an advantage.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I have heard confliciting information regarding the Porsche Type Brake Air Deflector? Would love to hear everones comments regarding if they really work. I need to place a P/S order with Dave's BB. As such, I was thinking about also getting the Deflector since I track the car around 4 times a year.

Any advice or pictures of the Air Deflector installed would be much appreciated.

Rev

A couple of quick points/Questions?
1. What is the car this going on?
2. What is the break system currently like?
3. What level of driving will you be performing on this car?
4. What type of performance driving are we talking about...TWS with long straights?...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/549658-dilusi-front-air-deflectors-vipermad.html

This shows the application on a GTS.

There is a mixed opinion on how to attach them. Some secure using bolts/brackets on the suspension and some use zip ties.

Those that use zip ties would rather have the defelctor tear away easier than the bolted on approach during an "off road excursion"

What is interesting is how many of these get installed backwards or on the wrong side. Tony's pics show the correct placement.

If it's still available, the Cone's brake duct kit had pretty good reviews for the Gen 1 & 2 cars

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...buys/548594-debut-cone-brake-cooling-kit.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/534984-cones-brake-ducting-kit.html

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I went the the Porsche dealer they couldn't find the part just from my description. When I came back with the part numbers they had no problem:
993-341-084-00
993-341-083-00

Mine were 15 dollars but it looks like you can get them on line here for about 12!
Porsche 911 Suspension - Page 4

The zip ties are not as secure as the mounting brackets as they will rotate if you run over something but this may actually be an advantage.

Wow, thanks a bunch. I am going to order them on Monday. :beer:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny. I posted the picture from SnakeOyl's site. Looks like a bad Photoshop job anyway.

I haven't looked at mine to see how they are installed (Dilusi mount), but I will now....

OP
OP
R

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A couple of quick points/Questions?
1. What is the car this going on?
2. What is the break system currently like?
3. What level of driving will you be performing on this car?
4. What type of performance driving are we talking about...TWS with long straights?...

1. 96 GTS
2. Stock, except for EBC Reds and Motul 600 fluid
3. Intermediate Level. Running 2:05 - 2:10 CCW at TWC.
4. Almost always running at TWC with long straights.

Thanks Bill for the PM.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These do help but a proper brake ducting system really does the job. I stock these (with billet brackets). For $69.00. A brake man #3 pad and Motul 600 or SRF fluid will help reduce brake fade. If you bleed your brakes after every track event, fluid boiling will be reduced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper