Thread: 1st gear to 4th gear shifting

Reply to Thread
    Viper Owner

Question 1st gear to 4th gear shifting

Howdy everyone,

since I'm newbie to this 'Snake-handling-thing' I was wondering if ANYONE can fill me in about the 1st to 4th gear shifting it does on occasions

I'm kinda lost since I've NEVER experienced anything like it in any other previous car I have driven.

Thanks for bearing with me and my stupid question(s)

Enthusiast

Default Re: 1st gear to 4th gear shifting

Not a stupid question. Sounds like the stupid skip-shift that Dodge had to put in it to keep the government happy b/c of fuel requirement regulations. Just give it more gas and you'll be able to shift from 1st to 2nd like normal. I've put over 30k on my Viper and never went 1st to 4th.

Viper Owner

You know, we got a sticky on how to join the VCA... How about a sticky of *typical* new owner questions. You know, the stuff that seems to pop-up every couple of weeks? Kinda like a new owener FAQ of sorts.

Now, that said, I'd love to do it... but am myself a fairly new owner... Though I've joined the blown motor club already (not really my fault, honest!).

Viper Owner

Thanks GA-Chad - much appreciated !

Enthusiast

Viper Owner

Maybe that thread just needs a new title so the new guys can find it. Wonder if the mods will ever consider a "Newbie" section. A place to welcome all those no matter what generation car they bought. Everyone remembers when they got their first snake. Working the kinks out and getting used to the quirks and power.

Just a thought, IMO that would be a great new addition to the forum.

Viper Owner

That was a GREAT thread to read ViperTony - THANKS !

RobZilla got a great point - I bet a lot of members here get sick and tired of reading the Newbie's stupid questions every other week

Enthusiast

I think this is the forum for newbies. Afterall, it is called "New Owner Questions" I think the idea of a sticky with a newbie FAQ is a good idea. Why don't we start working on common questions and answers and I'm sure one of the mods won't mind making it a sticky.

Viper Owner

True, it is in the New Owner Questions section. I think everyone would agree that a sticky would help keep the common question thread at the top of the list. As new people come, they would be nearly forced to click on it if it had a catchy sticky title.

Meanwhile we will keep helping the newbies along and noting the common questions.

My favorite is the "Idle Shake". Your snake comes with 10, count em TEN cyliders. Its gonna idle rough especially if you have an early Gen II with the lumpy cam. Put your girlfriend in it and tell her to enjoy herself while it warms up.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
    Howdy everyone,

since I'm newbie to this 'Snake-handling-thing' I was wondering if ANYONE can fill me in about the 1st to 4th gear shifting it does on occasions

I'm kinda lost since I've NEVER experienced anything like it in any other previous car I have driven.

Thanks for bearing with me and my stupid question(s)
    You can get a shift skip eliminator off Ebay, I put one on my Gen 1, looks like a little resistor, and won't give you any check engine lights or codes. Just be careful not to give it too much gas in too low a gear or you will get in trouble like I did as soon as I drove it after install.

Viper Owner

Thumbs up Re: 1st gear to 4th gear shifting

Quote Originally Posted by bluequadcab View Post
    You can get a shift skip eliminator off Ebay, I put one on my Gen 1, looks like a little resistor, and won't give you any check engine lights or codes. Just be careful not to give it too much gas in too low a gear or you will get in trouble like I did as soon as I drove it after install.
    Now THAT sounds like an interesting gadget !

Is it called a 'shift skip eliminator' ?

I guess I'll go look for one of those ? How does it install BlueQuad ?

Enthusiast

I have had it happen on rare occasions, mostly when its cold. The viper store sells the shifter eliminator Viper Generation 1 & 2 Accessories and Parts Products Page 9
    They were installing it on a car when I had mine in for 08 accessories, but thought I'd wait.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
    Now THAT sounds like an interesting gadget !

Is it called a 'shift skip eliminator' ?

I guess I'll go look for one of those ? How does it install BlueQuad ?
    Here is a link to one: eBay Motors: Skip Shift Eliminator LT1 LS1 LS2 Plug and Play (item 120273711269 end time Jun-23-08 11:48:33 PDT)
    Or look up item #120273711269
    The one I bought was cheaper but didn't have the nice plug in connector on it. It came with directions. You jacked up your car and crawled underneath, and located the C.A.G.S. plug on your transmission. Pulled apart the connector, inserted one end of each side of the resistor in the wiring harness and taped it up with electrical tape so no water, dirt, etc. gets in. Then tape up the solenoid so that will stay clean. That's it, your done. This is nicer because it already has a connector on it. I would just email the seller and ask if the connector fits your year of Viper.

Viper Owner

Thumbs up Re: 1st gear to 4th gear shifting

Thanks a LOT for the info BlueQuad ....... that's great !

Enthusiast

I've heard you can buy the stuff you need to make a skip shift for about $0.50 from Radio Shack. I'm not sure why you (or anyone else) needs it though. Just give it a little more gas and shift as normal.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by V10SpeedLuvr View Post
    I've heard you can buy the stuff you need to make a skip shift for about $0.50 from Radio Shack. I'm not sure why you (or anyone else) needs it though. Just give it a little more gas and shift as normal.
    You could make your own from radio shack if you know the right resistance. Where time is money, it's cheaper to just buy it on ebay and not have to leave your house and waste gas and time. As far as needing it, it's a standard transmission and I want to shift in whatever gear I want and shift when I want to and not loose all my RPM. Plus, it's a lot easier on the girlfriend with the smooth shifting and for times when your cruisin' slow by the beachside. Just IMHO.

Viper Owner

I've used both the bare resistor and the plugged skip shift eliminators. They both work. Liked the plugged one for the fact it's all sealed and didn't have to worry about it coming loose or getting wet etc. It looks like it belongs.

Enthusiast

Before someone jumps on my post, yest I did a search but did not find SPECIFIC information. Is there a skip shift eliminator available for the '08 with the new tremec transmission? Does the eliminator used for the old temec work on the new model?

Thanks, Bill

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by viperrt View Post
    Before someone jumps on my post, yest I did a search but did not find SPECIFIC information. Is there a skip shift eliminator available for the '08 with the new tremec transmission? Does the eliminator used for the old temec work on the new model?

Thanks, Bill
    I bought the 06 'skip-shift' for my 08 Viper and it worked just fine.

Enthusiast

I agree I don't see the need.

Glen

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Glen97 View Post
    I agree I don't see the need.

Glen
    Glen, have you driven a new 08 to compair? I can't beleive how it grabbed hold of the shifter and placed it in the wrong gear. My 07 zo6 never did that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Westxsrt10 View Post
    Glen, have you driven a new 08 to compair? I can't beleive how it grabbed hold of the shifter and placed it in the wrong gear. My 07 zo6 never did that.

Glen

Viper Owner

You could just delay your shift out of first ... or call John B and get 3.33s ...

fwiw ... it drove me absolutely crazy the first week until I changed my shift habit - haven't noticed it since.

Drive on!

Enthusiast

Cool Re: 1st gear to 4th gear shifting

Yep, same here. NO problem with the 1-4 shifts. But, if needed, the viperstore DOES have the '08 skip-shift-eliminator, as previously mentioned. ~juli