"Ice Cube" side sills, custom Belanger heat shields - update - a few pics

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very close after several months of working, to have the data (temps) on the sills, and the design of the custom heat shields I'm building. I know there were a few interested parties in what I'm doing, so this is the latest. Yup, after 2-1/2 months, finally some shiny stuff on the car.

Parts Rack louvered vents

You must be registered for see images

Side exhaust lookin' good

Ice cubes to fall from here...

Harbor Freight brake fully modded by Dave. Works much better now. SS sheet ready for shields. That mirrored side you see? That's the dull side! The "mirrored" side has got the white plastic film on it, and will go toward the headers for reflecting back the heat.

Brackets under way. The 1" wide SS strips off the OE header mount locations.

Does not look like much yet, but trust me, these will cover better than anything I've see pics of, and will be easy and cheap to build.

Hmm. Maybe the reason I can say mine will be better than any I've seen pics of, is that every time I ask for better pics of those $Inconel$ shields, I get no reply. Wonder why?

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome job Dave. Perfect timing as I am in the middle of my own GTS side exhaust conversion. What tips did you use and where did you get them? Are you using any heat shield inside of the sills??

Ron

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome job Dave. Perfect timing as I am in the middle of my own GTS side exhaust conversion. What tips did you use and where did you get them? Are you using any heat shield inside of the sills??

Ron

The tips are from Belanger, as are the headers and rear bent pipe sections at the turnout by the tire. I've heard that you can get the tips at your local redneck pickup shops. Dunno, as UPS delivered mine with the other goodies.

I am using the factory insulation in the sills, both inner and outer. The outer - in the sills - was trimmed to fit. I made my own staples to re-secure the edges, and then glued it in with red RTV. I'm not worried about water absorption on the cut edges of the insulation, as the majority of the cut is on the bottom. Let alone the fact I have the Weather Channel here...

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I may have to rethink this whole "rednecks live in Texas" theory. Dave, you may actually have something there. Looks good! :2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very intersting! I have had no side sill heat problems w/o cats or with high flows. From your photo's I would be more worried about heat from the headers bleeding to components facing them like the brake lines, back of the PS pump, hvac air intake box, ac lines etc..... I covered facing components with some thermo shield I got from Summitt in sheets. Cut to fit (sort of) and self adhering (sort of). Foil side backed with FG cloth and sticky stuff. Have to touch up now and then with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Looks good? NOPE! Works? Yes! GTS Bruce

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very intersting! I have had no side sill heat problems w/o cats or with high flows. From your photo's I would be more worried about heat from the headers bleeding to components facing them like the brake lines, back of the PS pump, hvac air intake box, ac lines etc..... I covered facing components with some thermo shield I got from Summitt in sheets. Cut to fit (sort of) and self adhering (sort of). Foil side backed with FG cloth and sticky stuff. Have to touch up now and then with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Looks good? NOPE! Works? Yes! GTS Bruce

Umm. Bruce. I've barely started building my header heat shields. Hence the note and pics above, that I've barely started building my header heat shields. The sheet metal brake... The mirror polished SS sheet... The note that I've barely started building my header heat shields...

Stay tuned. There's shiny heat shields in Dave's future.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Way Bad" is taking "Way to Long". Put the long necks down and get er done already, geez.....

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to photograph it's so shiny...

Fits like a charm. Still need to drill for the mounts. Miller time now. No more working and drinking according to F'Too.

One more side to go.

And yes, I have a fresh valve cover that has no duct tape adhesion issues...

V

Venomiss

This turned out really good!:2tu: The fit is primo.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI... I was informed that this thread has made it to the Illustrated Upgrade section. No harm no foul, but that was not really my intentions at this point.

I had planned on posting a more complete array of photos, along with a CAD file of the parts I made that could be down loaded.

I've been in touch with the admins, and when I have all of that put together that thread will be swapped out for the improved version of Dave's custom Belanger heat shields how to.

On a related note... Who has access to a laser or water jet for some weekend warrior work? Someone could hook up with Big Brake Dave on this gig for a new line item in his catalog.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, what am I missing? If there are 5 pipes on each side to be shielded why does the shield you fabricated only have four notches for the pipes :eater: To many long necks on the job site probably :lmao:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, what am I missing? If there are 5 pipes on each side to be shielded why does the shield you fabricated only have four notches for the pipes :eater: To many long necks on the job site probably :lmao:

The notches are for the spark plugs, not the pipes.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave it looks well made and perfect. Great job! Are going to get your valve covers power-coated? I noticed a chip that looks like it came from a dropped long-neck.:D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These louvers should be vertical to avoid catching debris from the tires and facing inward to be less conspicuous.

Interesting points for sure. I did choose to put the louver outboard so as I could screen the inside. The orientation of the louvers is kind of a here's how they come take 'em or leave 'em thing. But you do have a valid point.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice work Dave. I've been thinking about going to a side exhaust on my GTS. How is the fit and finish on the Autoform side sills (assuming those are the ones)? Are you going to close off the rear exhaust opening?

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice work Dave. I've been thinking about going to a side exhaust on my GTS. How is the fit and finish on the Autoform side sills (assuming those are the ones)? Are you going to close off the rear exhaust opening?

The finish on the Autoform sills was "acceptable" out of the box. I spent a great deal of time enhancing that finish. And by finish I mean straightness of edges, evenness of glass etc. The smoothness of the sills were paint ready, as would be expected.

So anyway, I cut all the edges straight, carefully drilled all of the mounting holes and filled the ones they drilled wrong, modified the upper mounting flange on the car for better fit etc, and 2 weeks later I was and expert on removing and installing my sills. And they fit great now.

On the rear, I'm going to design a rear diffuser that will cover the rear exhaust opening, as well as incorporating some amount of an under tray to smooth the transition to where the missing exhaust pipe went.

Straightening bottom edge -

Relocating holes they drilled -

Straightening top edge -

Bending upper flange down for easier install as glass parts are thicker -

Did the rivet nut business everywhere, but even the screw burr on the one by the hinges where you can't rivet nut was hanging on the glass. Make it smooth!

All in all, the work paid off. The sills fit very well, and are easy to install and remove.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These louvers should be vertical to avoid catching debris from the tires and facing inward to be less conspicuous.

If you think about the rotation of the tire (which is forward the majority of the time) the louvres are the opposite direction that the debris would come off of the tire. Therefore, the louvres are in the right direction facing down. IMHO

BTW.. Looks great Dave

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think about the rotation of the tire (which is forward the majority of the time) the louvres are the opposite direction that the debris would come off of the tire. Therefore, the louvres are in the right direction facing down. IMHO

BTW.. Looks great Dave

Nevermind... My statement was the direct opposite of what I intended to say... It has been a long couple of days battling floods here in ST. Louis...

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind... My statement was the direct opposite of what I intended to say... It has been a long couple of days battling floods here in ST. Louis...

I do understand the tire roation could throw debris at the louver opening. Here is my reasoning for the way I put them on:

-> Wanted screen on inside. Louver protrusion must therefore go the opposite direction, which is toward the wheel.

-> Do not track car, so only concern is road pebbles.

-> With all the venting underneath in my sills, debris goes in, debris falls right back out!

-> Not concerned about water, as I don't drive in the wet.

Also, would really doubt anyone ever notices them. Ever. Well, except for maybe another Viper owner giving my car a once over. Have you tried spotting another Viper owner lately here in Redneck Central?

"Hey! Is that thing a Ferrari?"