Why Can't I sell this Car???

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my 2004 Viper (besides all the other avenues I've used, I also have it posted on this site w/ Pix's for anyone to reference). It only has 4966 miles and doesn't have a scratch on it. I've priced it lower than any other in the AutoTrader when compared with mileage and still no interest? I realize the economy stinks right now so is that the problem? I was at a Dodge dealership in Southern California yesterday and they were only going to give me $35K for a trade in!!!:mad: I'm not going to give it away but it is very frustrating! Any ideas???:dunno:

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You just posted on 6/16 on Viper site??. Put some more photos up, put some more comments in the description area. Remember not everyone who looks at our site is a Viper owner:)

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are alot of SRT roadsters on the market, I would bet that in the near future that a GTS will be selling for more than a SRT roadster.
I have been looking at SRT's and I am sure I could pick up a low mile car for mid fortys or less...
Just my .02

OP
OP

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just posted on 6/16 on Viper site??. Put some more photos up, put some more comments in the description area. Remember not everyone who looks at our site is a Viper owner:)

That's just in this forum. I've had it in the AutoTrader for over 4 months now!!!!

OP
OP

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are alot of SRT roadsters on the market, I would bet that in the near future that a GTS will be selling for more than a SRT roadster.
I have been looking at SRT's and I am sure I could pick up a low mile car for mid fortys or less...
Just my .02

I hate to burst your bubble but just got off the AutoTrader and for a 2004 RED (and there are only 17 Red ones) the High was $63,250 and the low was $45,500 (with high miles). The AVERAGE was $50,261. For what I have mine listed for....... $50K with only 4966 miles (and not even a scratch) ........... It is the best deal of the 17 when comparing mileage with price! However, you are right about the prices of the GTS's!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my .02

Hit the nail on the head. This has been looming for a while now and it looks like it is finally happening. The SRT just did not hit off as well but that is not the only reason. With the 08s out now, people are trading in their 03-06s and there is a flood of them on the market, not to mention a horrible economy and high gas prices. Just a bad market overall to sell a car like this. If you want to feel a little better, a dealer offered me $25K for my 2001 but I have lots of miles. :D

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think things are just slow. I had my '01 RT/10 (sapphire, cognac, 4500 miles) for sale on this sight for a year, and on AutoTrader since October, and it just sold last month. My asking price was on the high end, and I think I sold it for a fair price to me and the buyer, but it took a long time. Unless you HAVE to unload it, patience is the key in this market,

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think things are just slow. I had my '01 RT/10 (sapphire, cognac, 4500 miles) for sale on this sight for a year, and on AutoTrader since October, and it just sold last month. My asking price was on the high end, and I think I sold it for a fair price to me and the buyer, but it took a long time. Unless you HAVE to unload it, patience is the key in this market,

I remember that beauty!!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50K...sorry but theres the reason and dont hold your breath.

and
(and there are only 17 Red ones)
because nobody wants a red one.

sorry but i have to be captain obvious...lol

V

Venomiss

I have been trying to sell my 2004 Viper (besides all the other avenues I've used, I also have it posted on this site w/ Pix's for anyone to reference). It only has 4966 miles and doesn't have a scratch on it. I've priced it lower than any other in the AutoTrader when compared with mileage and still no interest? I realize the economy stinks right now so is that the problem? I was at a Dodge dealership in Southern California yesterday and they were only going to give me $35K for a trade in!!!:mad: I'm not going to give it away but it is very frustrating! Any ideas???:dunno:

Good luck in your sale! Just in case someone wants to see the car.:)
ViperClub Classifieds - 2004 SRT-10 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by a moderator:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Plum's rather obnoxious and very humorous response...LOL...and I mean this in a good natured way to all parties.:D

Bill

OP
OP

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and because nobody wants a red one.

Do me a favor..........check out the new ad I placed in the classified section so that you can see my pictures.......... and then give me what you think would be a fair price that I should be looking for. :dunno:

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do me a favor..........check out the new ad I placed in the classified section so that you can see my pictures.......... and then give me what you think would be a fair price that I should be looking for. :dunno:

Nothing wrong with your pricing. Just checked Manheim wholesale auction for the '04. 2 just went thru at 47.5, and 48.6...with 6600 miles and 7400 miles...both red cars. The 04 average wholesale is 45.3...but with 17k average miles. Not many cars selling right now however.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For ****s and giggles, I went to a Lexus dealership to look at a new LS460L.

The dealer offered me $47k for my 05 yellow with 3600 miles, the market is really depressed all around.

The good news was they were willing to sell me the new 08 LS460L for $1k over invoice.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there are 17 red convertibles on AutoTrader, and the average price is $50K, then simple economics tell us that all of them are priced too high. Otherwise, there wouldn't be 17 to choose from. I've seen red and silver SRT convertibles sell in the $42-45K range with low miles, and they go for $39-42k on the auction block.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only way to get decent money out of your 04' is to trade it in on an even more exotic car which is further depressed. That way when you look at the difference you pay, asopposed to the cost MRSP of the exotic when new, you will not feel as bad.

Too bad the Ford GTs were not depressed, or I would be testing out this theory on my 06 Coupe.

OP
OP

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there are 17 red convertibles on AutoTrader, and the average price is $50K, then simple economics tell us that all of them are priced too high. Otherwise, there wouldn't be 17 to choose from. I've seen red and silver SRT convertibles sell in the $42-45K range with low miles, and they go for $39-42k on the auction block.

The "average" price is $50K because one of the above mentioned 17 is being sold for a whopping $16,000!!!:omg: Obviously, bringing down the average otherwise the average would be about $55K.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should love the current market and the gas prices if your a future VIPER buyer!!! :lmao:

I'm waiting a few more months for the Bubble to BURST and then buying my VIPER. Prices are only going to go lower and lower. I think Feb. 09 will be the sweet spot for me.

The economy is POO and its only going to get worse before it gets better.

Sadely I see HUGE gaps in VIPER prices atm on Ebay and Autotrader. I see 04 Vipers with 20K+ miles selling for $10k more than the 04 Viper with 8k miles!!! What crack are some of these dealerships smoking?

(At the end of every Bush Term comes a recession... Little Bush may in fact top his daddy with a Depression.:usa:)

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should love the current market and the gas prices if your a future VIPER buyer!!! :lmao:

I'm waiting a few more months for the Bubble to BURST and then buying my VIPER. Prices are only going to go lower and lower. I think Feb. 09 will be the sweet spot for me.

The economy is POO and its only going to get worse before it gets better.

Sadely I see HUGE gaps in VIPER prices atm on Ebay and Autotrader. I see 04 Vipers with 20K+ miles selling for $10k more than the 04 Viper with 8k miles!!! What crack are some of these dealerships smoking?

(At the end of every Bush Term comes a recession... Little Bush may in fact top his daddy with a Depression.:usa:)

The only depression you will be experiencing is the one that you go through over the next year by not owning and driving a Viper while you wait for prices to drop a bit more:lmao:

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only depression you will be experiencing is the one that you go through over the next year by not owning and driving a Viper while you wait for prices to drop a bit more:lmao:

LoL. Your right. This is the longest I have been without a Toy in my garage. Its rough, but the wait will pay off.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's only ONE reason something doesn't sell (anything)---PRICE! Lower it to make it stand out from the crowd and it'll be gone in a flash.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and because nobody wants a red one.

My buddy has a red SRT. They are gorgeous. I might buy this guys car.