Sounds like lifter noise, is that normal?

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my first Viper this past February, it is a 2006 and it had 800 miles on it. I loved the car since I first took one for a test drive in 2006.

Being a C6 corvette owner as well, maybe its normal but the Viper sounds like it is making a lifter noise that the Corvette does not. Does the car have solid lifters or is that normal. It runs fine, oil pressure is ok and everything else seems to be normal.

Also, would Corsa exhaust fix the heat problem in the cockpit?

Love the car, what else would anyone recommend for performance enhancements? I am a Venom member, how do I get the badge under my name? :usa:

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know on Gen 2's, that valve noise and/or injector noise has been discussed before as noticeable. I had concerns on my '01 before reading some posts about it being normal. And I believe the lifters are hydraulic. Someone else will likely clarify.

Most claim the OE cats are your cabin heat source in these cars. So get HF cats for sure. I think the Gen 3 has some other exhaust design features that contribute to heat though. I would get the aftermarket exhaust just for better sound!

Other mods? Blower, twin turbo...

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is the normal sound of the Beast. You had the same question as I did when I was driving home my 06' last year from the dealer. It does sound like a solid lift engine that need's a valve adjustment. What you are hearing is mostly fuel injector noise and some valve lifter also, but it is normal. :2tu: Kind of sounds like an old sewing machine. :lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same concern and had Tator check it out last year but he said it was normal and since I had installed headers and 3" exhaust the noise became amplified a bit. Enjoy the Viper!

OP
OP
C

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a venom member. I also see that everyone has pictures of their cars as well, how do I get it on there?

V

Venomiss

The wonderful kcobean or Lee00blacksilverGTS can help you.
Looks like they are right on it already.:) Welcome!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color is your car carmined?

For the "Avatar" (the picture under your name), you need to upload one from your computer. This can be done in the User Control Panel, available by clicking the UserCP link at the top of the screen. I can take care of your Venom Tag for you once I know what color your car is.

OP
OP
C

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't get the radio button undone that says that I have no avatar, maybe I am doing something wrong.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator is the man. You have a problem, question, or basically anything having to do with a viper... Chuck Tator is the man you wanna call. Hands down one of the absolute best techs. He should be along shortly.

:usa: