Buying 97 GTS B/W...What to check for?

redsrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All!!!! This is my First post on the site. Acquiring a 97Viper GTS B/W with 8K. Haven't seen the car in person yet, but will this weekend. Acquired alot of pics, run AutoCheck, CarFax, called the dealerships etc researching the car. Checked this website and also read some of the posts related to the 97 GTS. Car appears to be clean except for a duplicate title issue which I understand can be common. The only warranty work performed has been the Frame Recall at 3K. I'm not a novice to cars especially Mopar muscle cars but would greatly appreciate any advice on things and areas to check on a 97 Viper GTS. The car is long distance and I will be seeing the car tomorrow. THANKS in advance for any and all responses!!!!
I do own an 04 Ram SRT10 and can't wait to get the Viper.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the same car as you last year from a buyer 3000 miles away. I also had a local member check out the car.

Here is a list of general viper questions I used. Congratulations on choosing not only only a great car.....but the best color!! :)

Used Viper Questions:

General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?
20. Doors close well (no drooping / sagging-bad hinges)

1. What dealer was the Viper originally or last purchased from?
2. What is the current mileage?
3. Is it still under factory warranty? (what was the "in service" date?) Extended warranty?
4. Is the original window sticker available?
5. Do you have any of the original sales documentation?
6. What type of maintenance and / or repairs have been done to the car? (Records?)
7. Who performed / performs the repairs / maintenance?
8. When was the last service performed and what did it entail?
9. Does it have the stock radio?
10. Is there ANY curb rash on ANY of the wheels?
11. Has the car been driven in the rain? (cleanliness of the underside and wheelwells)
12. Are there equal gaps at the bottom sides of the hood, where the hood sides meet the top of the rocker panel? (just behind the front wheels) Pictures?
13. Are there equal gaps at the front "leading edge" sides of the hood where it meets the front bumper? (outermost front edge, towards the rear of the headlights) Pictures?
14. Are there ANY scrapes to the front spoiler? (under the car, black lip spoiler)
15. Are there ANY scrapes to the front facia? (body colored front end, underneath)
16. Under the front of the car, have the leading or front portion of the front frame rails been scraped / bottomed out?
17. Are there any scratches, dents, scrapes to the inside door jambs (black painted areas)?
18. Are there any scrapes, dings, chips, etc to the rocker panel sides OR their undersides?
19. Does the A/C blow cold?
20. Do all switches and accessories operate properly?
21. Are there any fine cracks or surface spider-webbing cracks in / on the hood?
22. Will the hood stay up on its own?
23. Are the side bolsters of the seats (drivers in particular) showing any wear?
24. Do the doors close cleanly and flush and open without "dropping down" / sagging when opening? (sign of weak hinges)
25. Is the Viper garage kept?
26. Why are you selling?
27. What is your age?
28. What major city are you near?

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at FLX109s Roe supercharged 96 B/W GTS with 9K
I bet you can get it for near the same price as the stocker you are looking at!!! Al

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To add to the list for '97, check on front timing cover seal oil leaks, and rear main. Rings, if owner will drive it hardish, see if blows dip-stick out a little. Trans good, esp 5th. Later fan upgrade (rubber air flaps, not hard plastic). OE PS pulley are sods on all years. Go over chassis, 11 year old car, frames can bend real easy if take a bump, look at how tires are wearing to see if good alignment kept. Welcome to Viper ownership soon = big grins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R