Important Advice for failed windshield wipers

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My symptoms were that when turning the wiper switch on the stalk, neither wiper arm moved. The washer fluid motor, however did spray.

That is one hint right away - the washer motor and the wiper motors both run off fuse 18 (gen 1) so you know right away the fuse is good.

The service manual advises you to test the switch (on, off, delay, mist) for continuity and all was good. This connector is under the steering column above your shin. It then says to test wires from the switch to the wiper control module located under the passenger floor rug. Again, all was good. If wipers still don't work, the manual says to replace the wiper control module.

Paul Scharf kindly sent me one for $100 ($470 new.) The part numbers between Gen 1 and Gen 2 are different, even though the box looks the same. Chuck Tator advised getting the one for your car.

Upon plugging in the new control module, still did not have functioning wipers! So I attempted testing power and continuity at the harness plugs at the wiper motors. You need long, skinny snake-like arms and fingers, and since I had spare wiper motors, I simply plugged in the spares, let them dangle, turned on the wiper switch and they worked!

I plugged in the old driver side motor again (with new passenger motor) and nothing worked. Now that I was paying attention, I could hear a small click inside the wiper when I turned the switch - a relay or position switch? I replaced the drivers side motor only and now everything is fine.

So, be warned that the manual leads you to replace the control module when it might be OK. (If anyone needs a spare or one to test their problems, let me know.)

Most folks have problems with the passenger side motor. Since it blindly swings away, the drivers side arm tries to stay out of the way and looks like it is operating strangely. By now most know that it is the normal-looking passenger side that needs to be replaced.

Back to my problem... The driver's side arm parks above the passenger side arm. Therefore, if the module doesn't sense the driver side arm moving, it isn't going to start the passenger side, either. The result is neither arm moves.

I should have tested more wires before buying the module. It wouldn't have told me which motor was bad, but it wouldn't have delayed the repair. And now I can go back to driving in the rain.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good tip about the driver's side over the passengers side. Make sure they are in the correct configuration before buying any parts, like I almost did. After washing the car, I mistakenly reversed the position of the wipers. As luck would have it, I got caught in a quick downpour and the wipers did not work. Luckily I had waxed my windshield(doesn't everyone? :D) so visibility was not an issue. Got home and was about to replace the fuse, when I thought about swapping the wiper positions. Problem solved. :doh2: