Any Ideas??

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving down the road and started to punch the gas and my car started to click loud in the rear end. As the RPM's went up the clicking sped up. I let off then pushed the throttle again and it did the same thing. I drove slow all the way home, then when I was almost home I hit the gas again and it hasn't done it since. Any ideas? Is something getting ready to break?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably do the obvious and check the rear tires for play or if a wheel weight has come loose and flapping in the wind.

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving down the road and started to punch the gas and my car started to click loud in the rear end. As the RPM's went up the clicking sped up. I let off then pushed the throttle again and it did the same thing. I drove slow all the way home, then when I was almost home I hit the gas again and it hasn't done it since. Any ideas? Is something getting ready to break?

Hmmm... may seem simple but how about a rock in the tire treads?

Looki

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounded like it was IN the rear or drive shaft. It made a sound like a CV joint when it's going bad. It did it a little more tonight on a 3rd gear pull. Could it be my gears or a u-joint??

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a Gen 3 so cannot help, but cannot wait to see what Dave6666 post's in response. :eater::eater:

Actually, I've been reassigned by Jon B at Parts Rack, a company I no longer do business with due to endless problems, as just "666."

It does sound like a u-joint noise possibly, but the rock in the tire thing is a freebie to check. Gears don't usually click. They whine, grind, and moan. Kind of like when Chad locks up his date in the trunk on the way home from *******.

Anyway, the best place to get the u-joints is:

5-799X - $20.89 : Shaftmasters, Quality Parts and Service at a Great Price

You must be registered for see images

DON'T skip the strap and bolt kits:

3-70-28X - $4.48 : Shaftmasters, Quality Parts and Service at a Great Price

Those are what my '01 uses. You should confirm that your car uses the same joint.

Have a good 8mm socket and wrench handy for the screws on the clamps. They are fun.

Also though, check your brake pads and mounts. I've got a car that the front pads like to click on. Have never figured out why. Just a thought.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They whine, grind, and moan. Kind of like when Chad locks up his date in the trunk on the way home from *******.

LMFAO!!!! :rolaugh: I know if I ever have a crappy day I just to find one of Dave's post to cheer me up. :2tu:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd guess a U joint, my brother in-law's truck was doing this same sort of sound you described and it turned out to be a U joint.
Also check your brake calipers and all the basic checks, lugs tight, brake check, etc etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave