GTS Daytime Running Lights

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,
importing a 2000 GTS into Canada and it required Daytime Running Lights to pass federal inspection.
I know theres cheap daytime running light kits but Ive also heard you can get the module from a Dodge dealer.... which sits on the frame rail and you just connect it to the plug which is on all Gen 1/2 Vipers.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spent 4 hours installing my DRL module. Hours and hours studying the wiring diagrams in my chassis manual. PITA.

When I bought my 98 GTS Chrysler was out of modules and mentioned $500 for instal. No problem, I opened the lid on my PDM and looked at the components, then cut a piece of wire and installed it from the 10amp a/c clutch fuse to the driving lights relay and was finished in about 20 min. (including opening the hood).

Bought my 2001 and couldn't find a key/on power to supply the driving lights relay so I had to run a power wire from the in-dash (the guage fuse) to the relay. It actually took me a little over a half hour that time. Cost was free! I wrote it up and sent it in for posting in the Illustrated Upgrades here and DIY on the Alley.

Ted

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed the unit on my 2000 as well when I brought it into the country. The part was 200 bucks andit installs in 30 secounds. The units crappy tire sells need to be hardwired in and there was no way I was letting those clown start hacking into my harness. If you want to save a buck the module is used on many dodge cars. i beleieve it is the same as a neon and there have to be a million of those in the junk yard.

Looki

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Problem with used stuff, sometimes, is that the junkyards try to charge double new costs of parts. I priced a Neon driver's window and a pwr wdw switch today, Used - $215 + 13% taxes, New - $115.00 +`13% tax.

A powerwindow switch for a Neon from Chrysler - $9.50 +tax!

New doorglass $95. plus tax.

What's the advantage of adding another elec. module, as compared to a couple inches of used wire? Wire takes less time to instal than it takes to drill a hole and find a screw to attach the module. Saves gas to just use an old piece of wire in the garage as compared to phoning and driving to get the used module.

wire removal takes a few seconds and can't fail.

Ted

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Scharf sells parts inexpensively - I paid $100 for a wiper module instead of $470 new. He's the kind of guy that will exchange parts if that doesn't fix your problem or the part didn't work.

The advantage is that Dodge made the part so you know it will integrate with your current system (no unintended consequences.)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Using a wire to turn on the relay is as simple as it gets. The simple wire bypasses the switch and manually turns on the fog lamps as required by law when the key is energized.

Using a $500 electronic module to replace a simple piece of wire shows how overcomplicated and expensive things are becoming.

Ted

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm... my example was for a windshield wiper module that controls on, off and intermittent wiping, not the DRL box, and to show how much less a used one could cost.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the heads up.
Ive got a couple guys on the Neon forums willing to sell theirs for around $15.

Id attempt the wire thing but electrical stuff is not my fancy, at all. In fact, Im afraid of even opening anything to get to the wires lol

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can contact Chuck Tator and he will give you the part number for the plug-in module from a Dodge Van.It is identical and I think I paid $130.00 brand new here in Calgary. I looked for my receipt but couldn't find it here at home.
Don't screw with used or incorrect looking parts

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just found my receipt from the dealer and the module number they have listed is 08-035-031 I was charged $191.40 for it, so no doubt you could get it cheaper from Chuck.
Stew

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory module turn on the low beams at 50% power, not the fog lights at 100%.
Also the DRL are off with the hand-brake on.
I really don't see why you will pay someone to instal the module, it's plug and play and the holes for the 2 screws are already punched in the cross-over beam.
You can either use some sheet metal screws ot tap the holes (as I did) for machine screws.
of course you can make your own wiring/DRL but for $100, there something to be said for using the correct module instead of piggybacking electrical circuits together.
luc 00GTS

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted,

I dont have the owners manual, unfortunately...

on my 2000 GTS, which ones are the following:

-Fog lamp relay
-key/on fuse power

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, neither do I. My 98 (and 99) had a keyon (10amp) fuse in the PCM and I used the power output from that fuse to run the power in terminal on the foglamp relay.

My 2001 doesn't have a keyon pwr in the PDC and I used the "guages" fuse under the dash in the cabin to power the fog lamp relay.

On my 2001 the activation terminal of the relay is the closest to the engine and closest to the driver terminal (RR).

Ted

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I imported my Viper from the US last year, I got a daytime running light module from a Neon for $10 and plugged it into the wiring harness. Total install time: 15 seconds! The longest part of the install was finding the end of the wiring harness. For the inspection I just pull tied it to the bar, once I was home again, I pulled it off and it has never been reinstalled since...:rolleyes::nono:

Other than that, you are good to go!

Just make sure you call the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles RIV: How to import a U.S made vehicle into Canada) with you VIN number before you actually purchase just to make sure that they will allow it in. They get a little funky on certain VIN's depending on what shows on their computer system. I have heard of people buying and being denied importation due to something on the VIN. In general, any 96+ GTS and any 97+ RT is good to go unless there find a issue with your specific VIN.

Hope that helps!

Robert

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
According to their webpage list the only Vipers not allowed in Canada were Gen 1s. Apparently the front bumper brackets woulen't pass Cdn. standards in the US models.

Ted

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plus, my cars already in Canada... In fact, its in my garage... shes a beaut.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now, I need me that module :)